When was the last time CO2 levels were as high as today?

So we all agree that high levels of CO2 won't kill off the planet,

How high? See Venus.

and is produced primarily by vegetation.

CO2 is produced by vegitation? Better take a basic biology class, old girl.

Perhaps you should. I'm willing to give you lessons, if you're willing to pay, moron:

"Now on the land mass are the natural vegetations that create CO2. More land mass equalls more vegetation. More CO2 is created When the sun is directly giving light to the vegetation. Half of the year the sun is more directly over the norther hem. therefore making the larger amount of vegetation give off more CO2. When the other half of the year rolls around the sun concentrates on the lower half of the earth. This in turn gives off less CO2."
WikiAnswers - Why does carbon dioxide concentration vary in seasons

What a tard you are. Go back to junior high biology class and start there. When you've accumulated the amount of knowledge that most 9th graders have, I'll be willing to teach you some of the finer points of earth science.

My, my, so you are going to teach me basic science.

Carbon Cycle

Carbon Cycle

Carbon Cycle - Photosynthesis:
Photosynthesis is a complex series of reactions carried out by algae, phytoplankton, and the leaves in plants, which utilize the energy from the sun. The simplified version of this chemical reaction is to utilize carbon dioxide molecules from the air and water molecules and the energy from the sun to produce a simple sugar such as glucose and oxygen molecules as a by product. The simple sugars are then converted into other molecules such as starch, fats, proteins, enzymes, and DNA/RNA i.e. all of the other molecules in living plants. All of the "matter/stuff" of a plant ultimately is produced as a result of this photosynthesis reaction.

An important summary statement is that during photosynthesis plants use carbon dioxide and produce oxygen.

Now who is the retard?

Still not a single independent analysis based on the actual science. Aaaaaargh!

Grrrrrrrrr.

Analysis of what? If you really want an analysis, look at the publications of the National Academy of Sciences.
Then link to them. Link to only peer-reviewed research. Don't parrot. Think for yourself. As I said, I have yet to see an independent analysis of the actual science. If you're going to play at science, at least learn some fundamental rules of the game.

Low atmospheric CO2 levels during the Permo- Carboniferous glaciation inferred from fossil lycopsids — PNAS

Low atmospheric CO2 levels during the Permo- Carboniferous glaciation inferred from fossil lycopsids
D. J. Beerling*
+ Author Affiliations

Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
Edited by Robert A. Berner, Yale University, New Haven, CT, and approved August 6, 2002 (received for review May 21, 2002)

Abstract
Earth history was punctuated during the Permo-Carboniferous [300–250 million years (Myr) ago] by the longest and most severe glaciation of the entire Phanerozoic Eon. But significant uncertainty surrounds the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere through this time interval and therefore its role in the evolution of this major prePleistocene glaciation. Here, I derive 24 Late Paleozoic CO2 estimates from the fossil cuticle record of arborsecent lycopsids of the equatorial Carboniferous and Permian swamp communities. Quantitative calibration of Late Carboniferous (330–300 Myr ago) and Permian (270–260 Myr ago) lycopsid stomatal indices yield average atmospheric CO2 concentrations of 344 ppm and 313 ppm, respectively. The reconstructions show a high degree of self-consistency and a degree of precision an order of magnitude greater than other approaches. Low CO2 levels during the Permo-Carboniferous glaciation are in agreement with glaciological evidence for the presence of continental ice and coupled models of climate and ice-sheet growth on Pangea. Moreover, the Permian data indicate atmospheric CO2 levels were low 260 Myr ago, by which time continental deglaciation was already underway. Positive biotic feedbacks on climate, and geotectonic events, therefore are implicated as mechanisms underlying deglaciation.

Middle to Late Paleozoic Atmospheric CO2 Levels from Soil Carbonate and Organic Matter -- Mora et al. 271 (5252): 1105 -- Science

Middle to Late Paleozoic Atmospheric CO2 Levels from Soil Carbonate and Organic Matter
Claudia I. Mora, (1) Steven G. Driese, Lee Ann Colarusso

The stable carbon isotope compositions of ancient soil carbonate and coexisting soil organic matter indicate that atmospheric CO2 levels decreased by a factor of 10 during the middle to late Paleozoic era. Proxy measurements of CO2 were made by application of a soil carbonate CO2 paleobarometer to a suite of paleosols that share key physical and chemical characteristics. The estimates agree with theoretical models that imply that a decrease in Paleozoic atmospheric CO2 levels was associated with afforestation of the land surface by terrestrial plants and with global climate change leading to the extensive Permo-Carboniferous glaciation.

Department of Geological Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA.
(1) To whom correspondence should be addresssed

Middle to Late Paleozoic Atmospheric CO2 Levels from Soil Carbonate and Organic Matter -- Mora et al. 271 (5252): 1105 -- Science

Middle to Late Paleozoic Atmospheric CO2 Levels from Soil Carbonate and Organic Matter

The stable carbon isotope compositions of ancient soil carbonate and coexisting soil organic matter indicate that atmospheric CO2 levels decreased by a factor of 10 during the middle to late Paleozoic era. Proxy measurements of CO2 were made by application of a soil carbonate CO2 paleobarometer to a suite of paleosols that share key physical and chemical characteristics. The estimates agree with theoretical models that imply that a decrease in Paleozoic atmospheric CO2 levels was associated with afforestation of the land surface by terrestrial plants and with global climate change leading to the extensive Permo-Carboniferous glaciation.

Department of Geological Sciences, University of Tennessee, Knoxville, TN 37996, USA.

Do you expect anyone to believe anything from these hacks now?

How do we know these "numbers" have not also been manipulated to fit your lying agenda?

Analysis of what? If you really want an analysis, look at the publications of the National Academy of Sciences.
Then link to them. Link to only peer-reviewed research. Don't parrot. Think for yourself. As I said, I have yet to see an independent analysis of the actual science. If you're going to play at science, at least learn some fundamental rules of the game.

Low atmospheric CO2 levels during the Permo- Carboniferous glaciation inferred from fossil lycopsids — PNAS

Low atmospheric CO2 levels during the Permo- Carboniferous glaciation inferred from fossil lycopsids
D. J. Beerling*
+ Author Affiliations

Department of Animal and Plant Sciences, University of Sheffield, Sheffield S10 2TN, United Kingdom
Edited by Robert A. Berner, Yale University, New Haven, CT, and approved August 6, 2002 (received for review May 21, 2002)

Abstract
Earth history was punctuated during the Permo-Carboniferous [300–250 million years (Myr) ago] by the longest and most severe glaciation of the entire Phanerozoic Eon. But significant uncertainty surrounds the concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere through this time interval and therefore its role in the evolution of this major prePleistocene glaciation. Here, I derive 24 Late Paleozoic CO2 estimates from the fossil cuticle record of arborsecent lycopsids of the equatorial Carboniferous and Permian swamp communities. Quantitative calibration of Late Carboniferous (330–300 Myr ago) and Permian (270–260 Myr ago) lycopsid stomatal indices yield average atmospheric CO2 concentrations of 344 ppm and 313 ppm, respectively. The reconstructions show a high degree of self-consistency and a degree of precision an order of magnitude greater than other approaches. Low CO2 levels during the Permo-Carboniferous glaciation are in agreement with glaciological evidence for the presence of continental ice and coupled models of climate and ice-sheet growth on Pangea. Moreover, the Permian data indicate atmospheric CO2 levels were low 260 Myr ago, by which time continental deglaciation was already underway. Positive biotic feedbacks on climate, and geotectonic events, therefore are implicated as mechanisms underlying deglaciation.

You've cut and pasted. At least they are peer-reviewed.

Now, what the hell is YOUR analysis. YOURS. Think for yourself and make an analysis. Make a conclusion based on the science - based on the peer-reviewed work, Rocks.

Fucking think - don't parrot.

Oh my, all the scientists in the world are in on a huge conspiracy to mislead Concept. Quick, get your tin hat on, and hide under the bed.

My analysis is very simple. Periods of low CO2 equal cold periods in the Earth's history. Periods of high CO2, warm periods. When the amount of GHGs changed very rapidly, in either direction, there were periods of extinction.

Through our actions of putting CO2 and other GHGs into the atmosphere at a rate seen very rarely, even in geological history, we are creating the potential for a very rapid climatic change, one that is too fast for the present ecology to respond to, and we may well end up intiating a period of extinction.

Even with rapid action of switching to alternative energies, wind, solar, geo-thermal, and nuclear, we may well exceed 500 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere. The last time the atmosphere had that much CO2 in the atmosphere, Antarctica did not have a continetal ice sheet.

And then there is the danger, no, almost certainty, of the positive feedbacks from the permafrost and ocean clathrates. When that kicks in, we are just along for the ride. No matter what we do, the GHGs will increase very rapidly. We are already seeing significant outgassing from both these sources at our present level.

My analysis is very simple. Periods of low CO2 equal cold periods in the Earth's history. Periods of high CO2, warm periods. When the amount of GHGs changed very rapidly, in either direction, there were periods of extinction.

Through our actions of putting CO2 and other GHGs into the atmosphere at a rate seen very rarely, even in geological history, we are creating the potential for a very rapid climatic change, one that is too fast for the present ecology to respond to, and we may well end up intiating a period of extinction.

Even with rapid action of switching to alternative energies, wind, solar, geo-thermal, and nuclear, we may well exceed 500 ppm of CO2 in the atmosphere. The last time the atmosphere had that much CO2 in the atmosphere, Antarctica did not have a continetal ice sheet.

And then there is the danger, no, almost certainty, of the positive feedbacks from the permafrost and ocean clathrates. When that kicks in, we are just along for the ride. No matter what we do, the GHGs will increase very rapidly. We are already seeing significant outgassing from both these sources at our present level.
Thank you.

You've mentioned rate of anthropogenic CO2 and other GHGs in the atmosphere. Where is the supporting information (science) for that?

You've mentioned that the ecology cannot respond to that input into the atmosphere. Where is your supporting information (science) for that?

You've mentioned an upcoming concentration of CO2 in the atmosphere. Where is your supporting information (science) for that?

You've mentioned outgassing. Where is your supporting information (science) for that?

You are making a conclusion of causation on a correlation. Not a good idea and certainly not scientific.

Last edited:
Really? Then why don't you just explain the real science of the situation to us. And include the peer reviewed articles that support your suppositions. Can you do that?

Really? Then why don't you just explain the real science of the situation to us. And include the peer reviewed articles that support your suppositions. Can you do that?
That's not how it works. You make claims, you support those with science. You want to play at science, do it right.

I see. Playing the doubt game.

Simple. I post science, you reply, "but that's not how science is done". And nothing at all to support your statement.

I suppose that works for people dumb enough to fall for it.

Thanks for confirming that you're an extremist who can't be taken seriously. :clap2:

Forum List

Back