When the Collapse Comes...

So just keeping your body functioning is enough?

Without it, there is nothing else.

I disagree.

But if the human race can't do any better than being sharks with legs, then maybe extinction isn't such a bad thing.

I understand what you are getting at, but you need to step back and think about it. You can't do anything....eat, dance, work, read, give to others, blow your nose, love someone, etc. if you are not alive. The absence of life is death. Surviving is life at it's basest element. Death isn't.

it amazes me when republicans feel we liberals feel that we can't survive without a government hand out ... we dems have never relied on government hand out ... what we have said because we are a working government that we should take care of the unfornate when needed ... what makes you think that liberals don't have surviuvakl shelters too ... you seem to have these Ideas that we liberals never prepair for the worst... we are linerals thats what we do ...

Are you drunk already?

:lol:

I disagree.

But if the human race can't do any better than being sharks with legs, then maybe extinction isn't such a bad thing.

I understand what you are getting at, but you need to step back and think about it. You can't do anything....eat, dance, work, read, give to others, blow your nose, love someone, etc. if you are not alive. The absence of life is death. Surviving is life at it's basest element. Death isn't.

Those are good points. And either you or pismoe pointed out that you can't rebuild society (for better or worse) unless you do whatever it takes to survive.

Very good points indeed.

I've got a question, how can anyone afford to prep? I mean in obama's economy and food prices have doubled since he got into office. I used to have a fully stocked freezer. Can't afford to now.

As someone who has lived through three natural disasters, two of which caused people to turn savage, rampage and loot...I can tell you that a Mossberg pump action 12 gauge with slugs and a pistol grip is a nice man stopper to have around.

depends on when you've been preparing and what you've done to prepare . Also depends on where you as a commoner live and that's probably the most important thing . For a guy in a city , canned goods are great along with water and sleeping bags along with many other things . If a person uses sleeping bags to camp then he has long had sleeping bags so its no new purchase [as example] . Canned goods , food , --- many people think that canned food needs to be rotated by date because there are dates on the cans . Canned goods are good for many , many years even long past the date on the can . Water , some people store water , do they store enough water , food or other things , well , I don't know . Mostly , you do the best that you can , its called trying .

Saw this yesterday:

When the collapse comes, God Willing, I will be ready. And when yhou knock on my door for help , the answer is 'Go fuck yourself'
I'm just curious; you preppers out there who insist the world is coming to an end and are arming yourself to wart off the hordes of people coming for you Cocoa Puffs...are you going to tell your neighbor "Go fuck yourself" if they knock on your door?

Remember Travis Bickle? "You talkin' to ME?"

Sounds like a good way to get your house burned to the ground with you inside.

I disagree.

when you're dead there's always this ..

Glenn Beck Specials | Food Insurance

it amazes me when republicans feel we liberals feel that we can't survive without a government hand out ... we dems have never relied on government hand out ... what we have said because we are a working government that we should take care of the unfornate when needed ... what makes you think that liberals don't have surviuvakl shelters too ... you seem to have these Ideas that we liberals never prepair for the worst... we are linerals thats what we do ...

The vast majority of Americans want that.
It's how it should be distributed by the Feds or the States.
States can control it better and would be able to weed out those that just don't want to work who can work (the free loaders).
This is what the Conservatives want.

Many stock up because of disasters not just for any kind of government collapse.

Saw this yesterday:

When the collapse comes, God Willing, I will be ready. And when yhou knock on my door for help , the answer is 'Go fuck yourself'

I'm just curious; you preppers out there who insist the world is coming to an end and are arming yourself to wart off the hordes of people coming for you Cocoa Puffs...are you going to tell your neighbor "Go fuck yourself" if they knock on your door?
I will start my own tribe and declare myself king !! I will be a kind and beneficent king to all those who obey my decrees !! and I will punish those who defy me !! I AM KING YIDNAR !!:udaman::whip:

Fun iis the operative word. The world is not going to collapse. But if you are a real prepper (thank you for using the correct term), no one is going to come knocking at my door because they won't have any idea you are one.

Therein lies the flaw in prepping, if collapse happens (I don't think it will) it will not be a lone liberal knocking at your door it will be an armed gang and they will have what you have. Better to be mobile than tied to a stockpile.

Agree with you ...
In the 70s when the DJIA was going to collapse from the THEN high of 700 to gasp 400 I was so concerned I bought "gold" coins. Then I started to realize. How was I going to protect my "gold"?
Bullets! Lead! Yea that's the ticket! I realized at that point also that if it all came to shit in a hand basket
almost ALL of us would not survive. Truly.

So what's the solution? Keep plugging along and just hope the tipping point isn't a spear!

Fun iis the operative word. The world is not going to collapse. But if you are a real prepper (thank you for using the correct term), no one is going to come knocking at my door because they won't have any idea you are one.

Not sure how you'd be able to hide it;

Depending on what hysterical nutjob you listen to..

Gas maybe $20 a gallon. Yet you're still driving your SUV around. Seems obvious that you've prepped.

The critical infrastructure could be attacked wiping out electric and communication lines. Yet your house is illuminated at night. Seems obvious that you've prepped.

Unless you're just going to hunker down and never leave it seems as though the cat will be out of the bag.

Moving around is a sure way to draw attention to yourself.
The only reason to travel would be to gather more supplies or making a move to a prepared location.
If you have to move,traveling at night would be your best option. If by truck you'd want some NVGs so you wouldnt have to run with lights on. If on foot NVGs wouldnt be as important but they'd still be nice.

I cant see leaving your home and all your supplies unless you had somewhere better to go myself.

Does anyone else's head hurt from trying to interpret the above post?

Saw this yesterday:

I wouldn't turn away all neighbors, just the ones that refused to pitch in and help. Actually if things were really that bad I wouldn't turn them away either, I'd shoot them on the spot and feed their carcasses to the guard dogs.

I'm not a "prepper," but I do have the basics since I live in an area that got demolished by 3 hurricanes 10 years ago.

You would

Shoot
a fellow
Human
on the spot
and feed
them
to
a
dog

And those that did "help" you...what did they help you do? Kill humans to feed animals? I think I'd rather be dog food than to sit with vermin such as yourself.

Candy, people who talk like this actually end up being the biggest pussies when the $#!t hits the fan. I doubt this jerk could pluck a chicken much less chop its head off.

I have friends and acquaintances that are major survivalists. Some have stockpiles of food, ammo, etc. in different areas across their land. Some have stocked their basement and made it so that if something does happen, they'll be able to hunker down and stay there for quite some time. I have no beef with them and if that's what they want, then I say more power to them.

I don't subscribe to the major survivalist theories, they seem to reek of the same mentality as the 9/11 truthers and the other conspiracy theorists. However, you have to remember that I live in an area where an F-5 tornado is one summer storm away. In Moore, Ok and Joplin, Mo, after tornados destroyed those towns, a bunch of maggots were arrested looting. They came into the area from back east, some from as far away as Pennsylvania. F-5's can be two miles across and stay on the ground for hours. You think where I live the Red Cross or Sheriff's Department is going to be within 20 miles of us? Nope, we're on our own.

The house gets its own water from a well. Natural gas could come from an oil well that was abandoned years ago. It can power a generator that lights the whole house and run the pump, OR it can run off of the gas companies supply. I've got my guns and enough rounds to start a small war if I have to. And there's food for about ten people for about a month in the root cellar. There's a 200 gallon tank of diesel fuel buried out by the barn. I figure if I had to, with just five people, I could squeeze out two months, maybe more if we were really careful. After that, I'd be looking to bring in some meat.

I do believe that what we have as Americans is a very precious and fragile thing. Hopefully, we'll never see a day when everything collapses on itself. Possible, yes. Probable, no. And I pray every day I'm right...

Therein lies the flaw in prepping, if collapse happens (I don't think it will) it will not be a lone liberal knocking at your door it will be an armed gang and they will have what you have. Better to be mobile than tied to a stockpile.

Any good prepper would be just as armed as any looter gang. The gang may get a prepper's stuff, but may also have fewer buddies and/or some new holes in their bodies after all is said and done.

And being mobile is just as dangerous as being stationary in a collapse scenario. Probably more so.

Forum List

Back