When science is "settled" it means that politics has warped science...

True. And from the same people you hear say "settled law" in politics. This really means "the thinking has been done here so move along".

True scientists know that any established scientific theory can be tossed completely out with the next discovery.

For example, there was a dinosaur display in the museum. They had put the bones together based on hunches and guesses, but people assumed because scientists did it it must be right.

One bone was on the head because the scientists thought it was a horn.

But then, many years later, another bone was found and the scientists changed their minds and took the bone off the head and decided it was a toe, so they put it on the foot.

So anyone who says something is "settled science" is telling a lie.

Science is never "settled" -- not ever.

...making the science suspect, to say the least.
That isn't how science works. It isn't dogmatic. (It shouldn't be, but ya know) people tend to be closed minded, that is a fact you can't get away from no matter the discipline. Bravo for pointing that out.

Also, Pluto was a planet and every school child was taught as scientific fact that there are nine planets in the solar system.

Then scientists decided Pluto was too small to be a planet, and just like that, we had eight planets in the solar system.

Also, the entire science of homosexuality has been warped by politics. Homosexuality used to be defined as a psychological defect in the DSM.

The homosexual lobby pressured the psychologists to change this, and because of political pressure, "science" was altered.

Now the same thing is happening with gender identity. Used to be scientists said there were two genders, defined by X and Y chromosones in the DNA.

Now, any scientist who says this is likely to be crucified by the transgender lobby.

When science is altered by outside pressures, be it politics OR religion, it isn't science any more.

The ancient Greeks knew the earth was round, dimwit.

So it's settled science, which you say is always suspect. Hence, you say the round earth theory is suspect.

It's not my fault that your logic is really stupid.
I'm not talking about theories that have been proven, I am talking about theories that are of doubtful origin because politics influenced the outcome. I don't see any political pressure groups forcing scientists to say the Earth is round.

I'm not talking about theories that have been proven, I am talking about theories that are of doubtful origin because politics influenced the outcome

So politics-free things like the round earth and global warming theory are good, while politics-based things like global warming denial are dubious. Okay.

I don't see any political pressure groups forcing scientists to say the Earth is round.

But we do see Republicans demanding global warming denial. I see your point. The Republican politicization of scence is a very, very bad thing. They don't care about the science, they only care about their political agenda.

In stark contrast, nobody is being forced to embrace global warming theory. Most people do that for exactly the same reasons they embrace the round earth theory.

The global warming theory is well-funded and any scientist who doesn't believe in global warming is harassed and villfied.

The ancient Greeks knew the earth was round, dimwit.

So it's settled science, which you say is always suspect. Hence, you say the round earth theory is suspect.

It's not my fault that your logic is really stupid.
I'm not talking about theories that have been proven, I am talking about theories that are of doubtful origin because politics influenced the outcome. I don't see any political pressure groups forcing scientists to say the Earth is round.
LOL No theory is ever proven, theories are not proven, they can only be falsified. However, there are theories that have evidence backing them up beyond a reasonable doubt. Like AGW and evolution. And your logic is self contradictory, Blackrook.

The global warming theory is well-funded and any scientist who doesn't believe in global warming is harassed and villfied.
Fucking bullshit. AGW is based on the absorption spectra of the GHG's. And the observed increase in the temperature of the oceans and the atmosphere. Plus the observed decrease in the bands where the GHG's absorb energy by satellites. The denial of AGW is based on lies by those paid by the Energy corporations, and their political whores like Inhofe.

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm

Forum List

Back