When Newt mentioned going to the moon he was crazy, but when Obama mentioned goin to

You know Newt's talking about private enterprise funding most of the moon colony, right?

How many people do you think that would put to work?

"...and the Republicans want to make us all serfs to big corporations."

Nonsense.
Private enterprise is the best equipped to do it...uhmm...that is IF they meet EPA specs and quotas first...:eusa_whistle:
"WANTED: Female latino albino for astronaut program. NS/ND/DDF. No experience required."
:eusa_shhh::doubt::lol:

You know Newt's talking about private enterprise funding most of the moon colony, right?

Nonsense.
Private enterprise is the best equipped to do it...uhmm...that is IF they meet EPA specs and quotas first...:eusa_whistle:

Private enterprise won't do it because there is no money to be made in doing it.

If the moon were made of gold, it would still be too expensive to bring it back here.

Now, money can be a good motivator to do things, but there should be safeguards. One could make a nice profit harvesting your organs for transplant, but that probably would kind of suck to be you.

Nonsense.

Private enterprise won't do it because there is no money to be made in doing it.

If the moon were made of gold, it would still be too expensive to bring it back here.

Now, money can be a good motivator to do things, but there should be safeguards. One could make a nice profit harvesting your organs for transplant, but that probably would kind of suck to be you.
Actually, it would be pretty cheap to send materials from the moon back to Earth.
An object launched from the moon will need 97% less power than an object of the same mass would need if launched from the earth. Therefore the moon, any light gravity planet or an asteroid would prove to be a much cheaper source of raw materials than the earth. Substances that would readily be available from the moon include steel, aluminium, magnesium, titanium, glass, ceramics and cement. By chance all these would be most useful in the construction of future space habitats.But these projects would be economic only if we use cheap and efficient methods of launching (obviously not chemical rockets). Much has been suggested by various personalities such as Robert Heinlein, Gerard O’Neill, and Arthur C Clarke about “Electromagnetic launching”. Enthusiasts at Massachusetts Institute of Technology turned this fictional idea into reality in 1977, when they made a test model of world’s first “mass driver”- (as the Gerard O’Neill named it).

Mass driver is an electromagnetic catapult, which consists of a long tubular track made up of many individual coils called “drive coils”. Floating up in the centre of this coiled track are buckets, which can be of any hard, durable, and non-magnetic material. Buckets are surrounded by one or two superconducting ring magnets. Like ordinary buckets, they can be filled with whatever you like. The drive coils are energised to create strong magnetic pulses due to which the bucket gets more and more acceleration until at the end where the buckets are suddenly stopped! And the contents fly out in space at just the right velocity and in the aimed direction. The test model of 1977 accelerated a 400 gm bucket from 0 to 160 km/hr. in only 6 feet track length, giving 35g acceleration!​
And the mass driver could be solar-powered, making it essentially a free delivery system.

Nonsense.

Sure there is. WHY has Spacex signed on with NASA?

WHY does only gubmint get to do these things?

Uh, Gingrich wanted to COLONIZE the moon. Not simply visit it. The colonization part being the crucial weird ingredient. If you missed that, no wonder you are so clueless about the ordeal.

Newt wanted PRIVATE INDUSTRY to lead the way. Not only that he knows we can mine the moon for valuable resources.

What would we get from a mars trip besides a big ass debt and some pretty red rocks?

You guys will defend anything won't you....

Isn't Obama the one who shut Down the space program, stating private industry should take over?And didn't he state he wanted private companies involved in the Mars mission?
You are kind of an idiot. Get your facts straight.

Uh, Gingrich wanted to COLONIZE the moon. Not simply visit it. The colonization part being the crucial weird ingredient. If you missed that, no wonder you are so clueless about the ordeal.

Newt wanted PRIVATE INDUSTRY to lead the way. Not only that he knows we can mine the moon for valuable resources.

What would we get from a mars trip besides a big ass debt and some pretty red rocks?

Isn't Obama the one who shut Down the space program, stating private industry should take over?And didn't he state he wanted private companies involved in the Mars mission?

I'm the idiot?

BUSH ENDED THE SPACE SHUTTLE PROGRAM.

Indeed, get your facts straight.

Edit: also I never espoused a reason or motive for obamas proposal. In fact I also support his mars ideas. So yet again get your facts straight.

Last edited:

I'm the idiot?

BUSH ENDED THE SPACE SHUTTLE PROGRAM.

Indeed, get your facts straight.

Edit: also I never espoused a reason or motive for obamas proposal. In fact I also support his mars ideas. So yet again get your facts straight.

They just want to blame Obama for Jr's messes.

Retirement

Atlantis begins the last mission of the Space Shuttle program
Main article: Space Shuttle retirement

The shuttle program, which was scheduled for mandatory retirement in 2011, saw the final launch with Atlantis launching on July 8, 2011, in accord with the directives President George W. Bush issued on January 14, 2004 in his Vision for Space Exploration.[9] The shuttle's planned successor was to be Project Constellation with its Ares I and Ares V launch vehicles and the Orion Spacecraft; however, in early 2010 the Obama administration asked Congress to instead endorse a scaled-back plan with heavy reliance on the private sector.

Space Shuttle program - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

In this thread, as in the other thread a couple months ago about colonizing the moon, it seems as though leftists hate science and conservatives love it.

This coming from the guy who thinks the Moon is habitable. :lol::lol::lol::rofl:

Because they realize there are big huge government contracts.

This is what always amuses the fuck out of me about the worshippers of "Free Markets". they are usually the first ones in lines when governments give out money.

What amuses me about you is that you claim to be a conservative.

Because they realize there are big huge government contracts.

This is what always amuses the fuck out of me about the worshippers of "Free Markets". they are usually the first ones in lines when governments give out money.

What amuses me about you is that you claim to be a conservative.

What amuses me about you is that you are willing to go all suicide bomber for corporate fat cats who could care less if you live or die.

Neither party represents teh working folks of this country.

Seriously? The ConservaRepubLitarians here can't figure out the difference between an exploratory mission and starting the country of Newtopia on the moon? Seriously? Really folks????

Seriously? The ConservaRepubLitarians here can't figure out the difference between an exploratory mission and starting the country of Newtopia on the moon? Seriously? Really folks????

You've watched one too many episodes of family guy. Rejoin us here in reality.

Nah, it's not that. It's that if you can't see the difference between space exploration and colonizing the moon because of who proposed it, then you're just a whackjob blinded by party / ideology.

Why do all posters with a variant of "independent" in their usernames invariably toe the leftist line?
Because they sit on a fence knowing that they are wrong. (They think it's a shield)...but easily penetrated when they type thier posts.

Why do all posters with a variant of "independent" in their usernames invariably toe the leftist line?

We only seem that way because the "Right" has become such an extreme bunch of brain-washed whackjobs, we seem that way in comparison.

This is easy to prove.

You've watched one too many episodes of family guy. Rejoin us here in reality.

Nah, it's not that. It's that if you can't see the difference between space exploration and colonizing the moon because of who proposed it, then you're just a whackjob blinded by party / ideology.
Did you know that colonizing the moon and building spaceships that will keep people alive all the way to Mars and back and exploring the surface have in common many of the exact same technological hurdles to cross?

No, you don't, because Obama didn't tell you that, did he?

Forum List

Back