When is U.S. Navy going to shut down Somali Pirates who are Terrorizing the High seas

Discussion in 'Africa' started by 52ndStreet, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,802
    It's not just since the economy 'soured', been on the increase for over a decade:

RAND Research Brief | Piracy and Terrorism at Sea: A Rising Challenge for U.S. Security

Full report link at site:

PPI: Piracy Rates Are Rising

More at site:

2. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    Yeah, probably. But what action, exactly?

Did you follow that link?

If Fox is giving us the real deal, then any overt military action gets a whole lotta hostages in Somalia killed.

Apparently these hostages hail from many nations, so acting unilaterally is probably not something that the USA can do without getting a whole lot of those folks killed.

Looks to me like this is not just a few bold guys with a boat and a gun, but a whole society forming around piracy in Somalia as a means of survival.

Looks like none of us is very well informed about what really going on in Somalia, doesn't it?

I know I'm not up to speed on this issue.

So if we don't understand the situation on the sea OR on the ground, all our armchair digital generalship is just so much speculative pompousity, isn't it?

I STILL want to understand how this situation developed.

Obviously this priacy problem has been brewing for quite some time.

But it's only now just becoming something we're thinking about.

I suspect the time to start complaining about how it's being dealt with NOW is premature.

We don't KNOW what the overall situation is, and we don't really know what's being done about this particular hostage right now, either.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  3. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,940
    I've no idea. People are opportunists. If they cannot make money legitimately they often turn to crime. I'm pretty amazed that you don't know this. How long has Somalia been a toilet?

4. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,420
    Conversely if you can succeed in life by being a criminal, why bother with the hum drum life of making a living legitimately ?

5. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    More importantly, and I suspect this might be the case in Somalia, if the only way you can live is to become criminal, then you can pretty much expect people to become criminals.

We see this over and over again, and still people pretend they cannot understand it, and play the outrage card.

6. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,420
    Quite an assumption to state that being a criminal is the ONLY way that someone can survive, isn't it ?

7. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,802
    Somalia is a failed state, there isn't a government, thus there really isn't a functioning economy. Now the people mostly prey on each other, but piracy has been lucrative for them, with little downsides. I don't see the West going in and fixing their problems, however we may see the US go in and encourage them with force, after the release of the Captain, to not mess with US flagged ships again.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,647
    In an anarchic state?

Not really, dillo, not really.

9. Ravi

Ravi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +42,940
    Who ever said that?

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,786
    I did not vote for Hillary in the Texas primaries. It wouldn't have mattered anyway. Voting in primaries here is a scam.

What that says in English is Hillary won the popular vote here and should have been given all the delegates. The people who had time to hang around and caucus basically stole the votes from Hillary in favor of Obama.

They ended up splitting the delegates between them when it's supposed to be winner take all.

I'm not a Democrat, nor am I any fan of Hillary Clinton. I merely stated given the choices, I would support her over Obama, and was undecided between her and McCain.