When is U.S. Navy going to shut down Somali Pirates who are Terrorizing the High seas

When is the United States Navy going to shut down Somali Pirates who are Terrorizing the the high seas off the coast of Somalia?. The current situation could have been avoided, if only
the U.S. navy was patrolling the waters off the cost of Somalia. Get the U.S. Navy seals
involved in the removal and elimination of these Terrorists on Water!?
No other country is dealing with this issue, it is up to the U.S. Navy to police those waters.

The SEALS probably couldn't save the day in this case, as I vaguely understand the tactical situation.

Certainly not without putting the hostage's and their lives at enormous risk.

I commend whoever is doing absolutely everything (which looks like nothing to we who are not involved) they can do to get that guy back alive.

If that means standing down and negotiating, so be it.

I'm informed (by Fox news, ironically) that the so-called pirates have hundreds of other hostages from previous prizes taken.

They're being held in the city of Ely, and probably elsewhere, too.

Given how obviously these pirates are massive organized criminal cabal of corrupt governments and outright seagoing thugs, perhaps the rest of the world is reluctant to move because -- even if they get the hostage at sea -- these thugs can retaliate against those hostages?

We just don't know what's happening behind the scenes to comment intelligently on the specifcs of this event.

And in this case, I don't think we have the need to know, either.

Diplomacy is saying "nice doggie" until you can find a big stick.

Obviously the piracy issue is bigger than just this one hostage, too.

Interesting. I was unaware they were part of a cabal that still had other hostages. That puts the entire situation in a different light.

If they have literally "hundreds" of hostages it's past time somebody took some action to stop this crap.

They have over 200 hostages I believe. But, they are not Americans. Seriously I don't think it in our interest to worry about others, as it would strain belief to think another country would worry about ours.

I agree with you Gunny, first we get the Captain back, then we should do something. I don't think we will though, other than perhaps to those 4 keystone pirates. I hope I'm wrong.

When is the United States Navy going to shut down Somali Pirates who are Terrorizing the the high seas off the coast of Somalia?. The current situation could have been avoided, if only
the U.S. navy was patrolling the waters off the cost of Somalia. Get the U.S. Navy seals
involved in the removal and elimination of these Terrorists on Water!?
No other country is dealing with this issue, it is up to the U.S. Navy to police those waters.

Ask the President. The US Navy is a tool of war. It is not an autonomous entity. I guarantee you that if given the orders to do so, the US Navy is more than capable of handling the job.

It is not up to the US to police foreign waters. It is up to the US to protect its own interests (ships) only.

Makes sense to me Gunny. The Navy could have neutralized this life boat problem in a matter of hours had that been their mission. I stand by my original analysis, they have been ordered to observe, nothing more.
gb

And I would agree. If they had been ordered to act, they would have and it would be over. The fact that I know the tactical assets of the USS Boxer helps because I know what they do and don't have.

They don't have a SEAL team. They DO have a Recon platoon that is highly-trained in Visual Boarding Search and Seizure (VBSS) and while not one to brag, they're badasses at it if they are half as good as they were in my day.

US Naval presence is for intimidation, and to act if necessary. Otherwise, any rescue attempt in this situation would have to be authorized by the President himself.

America should be the country to put an end to this cycle of High seas hijacking, that seems now to be developing into a bussiness for the Somali Pirates, who are being given large ransom payments. How we are to put a stop to those Pirate criminals, if we are rewarding them for their criminal activity with huge million dollar ransom payments. Is this not just more gasoline on the fire,thus fueling even more desparate
Pirates.!!?$$?!!%

You really aren't very bright, are you? This isn't a cut-n-dried, black-or-white only situation.

Yes, the issue should be addressed. However, try seeing the forest, not just the trees. If editiec is correct, there is more at stake than one life.

America should be the country to put an end to this cycle of High seas hijacking, that seems now to be developing into a bussiness for the Somali Pirates, who are being given large ransom payments. How we are to put a stop to those Pirate criminals, if we are rewarding them for their criminal activity with huge million dollar ransom payments. Is this not just more gasoline on the fire,thus fueling even more desparate
Pirates.!!?$$?!!%

Up until this incident, I don't think there were incidents with US flagged ships, so it wasn't US paying tribute. However my guess is the company will pay the ransom to get the captain released. THEN the question becomes, will the US lead for a change in either allowing mercenary armed guards or allowing the crews to be trained and armed. Or they could send in the Marines as they did in the early 1800's?

Being unbiased and all :eusa_whistle:, I say turn the Marines loose. The more practical solution however would be to arm the crews.

You are aware that is the original reason for the existence of the Marine Corps? Crews were usually press gangs. The Marines were a unit that answered only to the Captain of the ship. They enforced discipline on the ship.

This situation makes me really wish McCain had won.

Why? In this situation, I'd rather have Hillary. I would trust her judgment in a situation like this before I would McCain. McCain would be doing the same thing Obama is doing.

For all the criticism Bush takes, notice this never happened on his watch? There IS an advantage to having a redneck for a President.:lol:

Why? In this situation, I'd rather have Hillary. I would trust her judgment in a situation like this before I would McCain. McCain would be doing the same thing Obama is doing.

For all the criticism Bush takes, notice this never happened on his watch? There IS an advantage to having a redneck for a President.:lol:

Well, I was thinking in terms of the general election.

Pirates.!!?$$?!!%

Up until this incident, I don't think there were incidents with US flagged ships, so it wasn't US paying tribute. However my guess is the company will pay the ransom to get the captain released. THEN the question becomes, will the US lead for a change in either allowing mercenary armed guards or allowing the crews to be trained and armed. Or they could send in the Marines as they did in the early 1800's?

Being unbiased and all :eusa_whistle:, I say turn the Marines loose. The more practical solution however would be to arm the crews.

You are aware that is the original reason for the existence of the Marine Corps? Crews were usually press gangs. The Marines were a unit that answered only to the Captain of the ship. They enforced discipline on the ship.

Indeed I am. While my focus never was 'military' per se, can't get degree in history without pretty good knowledge of Barbary Pirates and Tripoli. ;) On the other hand, I will say the atrocities by the pirates upon crews were not brought up in classes. Interestingly enough, the 'barbarities' committed on the Muslims by the Christians in the Crusades, oh yeah. That was before 9/11.

Indeed I am. While my focus never was 'military' per se, can't get degree in history without pretty good knowledge of Barbary Pirates and Tripoli. ;) On the other hand, I will say the atrocities by the pirates upon crews were not brought up in classes. Interestingly enough, the 'barbarities' committed on the Muslims by the Christians in the Crusades, oh yeah. That was before 9/11.

are you talking cause and effect?

No. I was making an observation, that was all, about college, not events in history.

No. I was making an observation, that was all, about college, not events in history.

oh

You mean the last one? Where the media chose both candidates?

Yes, that one.

Pirates.!!?$$?!!%
Pirates have been around since boats existed. Are they more prevalent now? I don't think the evidence supports that, but as the economy sours, criminals will engage in more criminal activity.

Look out, Ravi. You nearly claimed that poverty causes piracy.

Yes, that one.

The sad truth is, and as much as I don't care for some of her beliefs, Hillary was the best of the lot and I probably would have voted for her. That's not saying much, and has to be kept in context with the choices.

So far, Obama has turned out to be exactly everything I predicted he would be.

Yes, that one.

The sad truth is, and as much as I don't care for some of her beliefs, Hillary was the best of the lot and I probably would have voted for her. That's not saying much, and has to be kept in context with the choices.

I didn't think he'd be as bad as he appears to be, but I didn't vote for him. ;)

Yes, that one.

What did you predict he would be? did you vote for Hillary in the Texas primaries? I certainly think she was more qualified than obama, but it would have been tough for me to vote for her in the general election.
I voted for Giuliani in the primaries. I was shocked when McCain didn't choose him as a running mate.

Annie
They have over 200 hostages I believe. But, they are not Americans. Seriously I don't think it in our interest to worry about others, as it would strain belief to think another country would worry about ours.

Americans do not "act" based on how others act. We are the worlds leaders, not because it was our choice, our position in the world was forced on us by the history of tyrants and dictators, our place in history is destined not by our actions, but the actions of kingdoms long since gone.

So many state its not our place, we are not the worlds police, what these people are ignorant of is that we fled those tyrants.

Citizens of America are refugees of the world, we have fled the tyrants, the dictators, the kings, the communists, the facists, we are the victims of all that is bad in the world.

Yes, what right do we have to interfere in the business of the tyrants we fled

What right do the refugees in the United States of America have to stop the dictators from killing our family we had to leave behind.

If you stand by and do nothing in the face of tyranny you stand on the side of tyranny

Last edited:
Pirates.!!?$$?!!%
Pirates have been around since boats existed. Are they more prevalent now? I don't think the evidence supports that, but as the economy sours, criminals will engage in more criminal activity.

It is one of the causes...but that doesn't excuse it or make it acceptable. Somehow I think if Somalia had a stable government and economy these pirates wouldn't have so many members.

It is one of the causes...but that doesn't excuse it or make it acceptable. Somehow I think if Somalia had a stable government and economy these pirates wouldn't have so many members.

So do you think Blackbeard came from a ghetto ?

Forum List

Back