When Did Trump Make You A Protectionist Liberal?

g5000

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2011
This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.
The same real conservative, Milton Friedman, again:

A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that, so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.

The Case for Free Trade

So, Frank, when did Trump make you a liberal?

Tariffs are the only lever that Donald Trump can pull to bring foreign trade partners to the negotiating table. That is what he is doing and why he is doing it. I am astounded that this simple fact cannot be grasped by the intellectually superior (so they say) Left.
Tariffs were tried by Obama, and they blew up in his face. Tariffs were tried by Bush, and they blew up in his face.

Tariffs are already blowing up in Trump's face.

It's amazing how pseudocon liberals are unable to learn from the mistakes of the past.

When did Trump make you a liberal, Mike?

amazing how all the board conservatives were anti union - Trump comes along and now they are pro union.

the stupid shits don't know WTF they are.

Trump has always been a New York Democratic liberal. Because pseudocons have no idea what actual conservatism is, they were extremely vulnerable to a huckster like Trump.

Their shocking willingness to accept Trump's liberal protectionism is but one of many examples I will be highlighting in the forthcoming days.

amazing how all the board conservatives were anti union - Trump comes along and now they are pro union.

the stupid shits don't know WTF they are.
Precisely.

Tariffs are the only lever that Donald Trump can pull to bring foreign trade partners to the negotiating table. That is what he is doing and why he is doing it. I am astounded that this simple fact cannot be grasped by the intellectually superior (so they say) Left.
Tariffs were tried by Obama, and they blew up in his face. Tariffs were tried by Bush, and they blew up in his face.

It's amazing how pseudocon liberals are unable to learn from the mistakes of the past.

That's because obama was in no way shape or form qualified to run anything but a bath house in Turkey.

This question is for the fake conservatives (pseudocons). When did New York liberal Democrat Donald Trump turn you into a far left protectionist liberal? What was the turning point?

Haven't you noticed the organizations cheering Trump's tariffs the loudest are LABOR UNIONS?

Let me show you what a real conservative sounds like when it comes to free trade:

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

Other countries slapping tariffs on our products is free trade, er, or something.
The same real conservative, Milton Friedman, again:

A fourth argument, one that was made by Alexander Hamilton and continues to be repeated down to the present, is that free trade would be fine if all other countries practiced free trade but that, so long as they do not, the United States cannot afford to. This argument has no validity whatsoever, either in principle or in practice. Other countries that impose restrictions on international trade do hurt us. But they also hurt themselves. Aside from the three cases just considered, if we impose restrictions in turn, we simply add to the harm to ourselves and also harm them as well. Competition in masochism and sadism is hardly a prescription for sensible international economic policy! Far from leading to a reduction in restrictions by other countries, this kind of retaliatory action simply leads to further restrictions.

The Case for Free Trade

So, Frank, when did Trump make you a liberal?
American Liberals hate America

I’ve been saying for decades that we needed tariffs to protect our manufacturing jobs. The one thing I have always hated about the GOP was their willingness to allow companies to move jobs overseas for cheap labor and bigger profits. They always drone on about “free trade” which just meant using overseas ultra cheap labor. The Dems didn’t give a shit either, since they have always hated the middle class anyway and would rather they all be unemployed.

Other countries use tariffs against the US, so it’s about time we used them too.

I see you have chosen to ignore the video in the OP and the article written by Friedman in post 4. Is it because it is longer than a tweet?

Just so you know, your viewpoint makes you a liberal on trade. Not a conservative.

That explains your vulnerability to a huckster like Trump.

How are tariffs already blowing up in his face? The EU has already stated they would be willing to drop their tariffs if President Trump doesn’t put tariffs on the EU. Which means we gave up nothing and got the EU to drop their tariffs.

The thread starters labels are wrong.
First, Trump is a Populist.
Second, he wants to lift as many boats as he can in all economic sectors.
Third, he is doing it!
I bet Mike Pence disagrees:

Concerns grow over tariffs' impact in Indiana

Pence's hometown in Indiana feels hit from Trump tariffs

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st.../concerns-grow-over-tariffs-impact-in-indiana

Tariffs and Trade War Bad For Indiana Businesses

You're just pissed that the economy is humming along like a well tuned Lamborghini.
I see that you are still a pseudo-intellectual still posting false premises.

Third, he is doing it!
I bet Mike Pence disagrees:

Concerns grow over tariffs' impact in Indiana

Pence's hometown in Indiana feels hit from Trump tariffs

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-st.../concerns-grow-over-tariffs-impact-in-indiana

Tariffs and Trade War Bad For Indiana Businesses

You're just pissed that the economy is humming along like a well tuned Lamborghini.
I see that you are still a pseudo-intellectual still posting false premises.
Wow. Talk about false premises!

The economy has been improving for nine years, tard. Not two.

Third, he is doing it!

horseshit. ^^^^^^^^

How are tariffs already blowing up in his face?
See post 11.

And have you already forgotten the bailout Trump had to give the farmers damaged by his tariffs? Or did your propagandists keep you in the dark about that?

Trump’s $12 Billion Bailout Is No Remedy for Farmers Caught in Trade War

When did Trump make you a liberal on tariffs and government bailouts, Hawk?

Forum List

Back