When did it start requiring a Bach Degee to enter Medical School

Daryl Hunt

Your Worst Nightmare
Oct 22, 2014
O.D. (Stands for Out Dere
During the first part of the 20th century, you could be accepted into a Medical School right out of High School. What has come out of this is the requirement that ALL Medical Doctors also have a Bach Degree in something and then they can attend Medical School. It's caused a huge shortage of MDs in the US.

It used to be that if you wanted to be an MD, you got with a local Doctor and worked as his assistant. When he felt you were competent, he recommended you to one of the Medical Schools where you attended to earn your shingle. When you were done you were an MD.

I did a search for the exact date it changed but it seems to be omitted from the Internet for ease of search.

During the first part of the 20th century, you could be accepted into a Medical School right out of High School. What has come out of this is the requirement that ALL Medical Doctors also have a Bach Degree in something and then they can attend Medical School. It's caused a huge shortage of MDs in the US.

It used to be that if you wanted to be an MD, you got with a local Doctor and worked as his assistant. When he felt you were competent, he recommended you to one of the Medical Schools where you attended to earn your shingle. When you were done you were an MD.

I did a search for the exact date it changed but it seems to be omitted from the Internet for ease of search.
Not sure I buy this. As far as I know, having an MD is having a Doctorate. Not many Doctorate programs being handed out to high schoolers. It has usually been undergrad, grad, doctorate.

• Banned
I believe that before 1912, only the Med School was needed as long as you had a recommendation from a Practicing MD and have done time as an assistant. There were many "Frontier" Doctors created that way.

If by the first part of the 20th century you mean between 1900 and 1910 I would believe that. In recent history it has become so competitive to get into medical school they needed to have a 4 yr degree requirement to keep applicant numbers down to a manageable level.

The doctor "shortage" is not because applicants are limited in numbers by needing a bachelor's degree, but because med schools are forced to allow only very few students to enroll. If they allowed in too many, the AMA would yank their accreditation. Doctors limit the number of new doctors to keep their own salaries high.

• Banned
If by the first part of the 20th century you mean between 1900 and 1910 I would believe that. In recent history it has become so competitive to get into medical school they needed to have a 4 yr degree requirement to keep applicant numbers down to a manageable level.

It was competitive then as well. You had to test out to get considered and then they only took the top of the cream. These people had the talent and the will be be a MD.

Today, many are in it for the money. Once you do the 8 years, you can go into private practice and specialize. An old style MD would only worry about living to practice. Some today practice to get exorbitant amounts of money. Then we end up with a shortage of practicing MDs.

You have to have a master's.
We have a shortage of MDs because the medical schools are restrictive, have limited spots, and the schools are financially motivated to give those spots to rich FOREIGN students who pay everything in cash.

During the first part of the 20th century, you could be accepted into a Medical School right out of High School. What has come out of this is the requirement that ALL Medical Doctors also have a Bach Degree in something and then they can attend Medical School. It's caused a huge shortage of MDs in the US. .

Why do you think this is the reason why there is a shortage of physicians in the United States?

My niece is an ER doctor.
She makes big bucks now. But it was a freaking nightmare getting into school for just those reasons.

Are you sure that the shortage of MD's isn't due to crap pay due to profit based managed care?

Are you sure that the shortage of MD's isn't due to crap pay due to profit based managed care?
Yes he's sure, commie.

At the turn of the 20th Century ... only 9 percent of Americans obtained a High School Diploma. But the start of World War II, that number has risen to 51 percent (it dropped precipitously during the war as young men had other priorities).

Today, many are in it for the money. Once you do the 8 years, you can go into private practice and specialize. An old style MD would only worry about living to practice. Some today practice to get exorbitant amounts of money. Then we end up with a shortage of practicing MDs.

If doctors were assured of 'exorbitant amounts of money'- there wouldn't be a shortage of physicians.

Doctor shortages: Here's the real culprit

If you're among the lucky ones to get accepted, there's an ever-expanding amount of requirements, including coursework and hands-on training. The average time a medical student spends in school is now a whopping 14 years. Sure, extra training is usually a good thing, but that's a looong time to ask a smart, young person to take him or herself out of the good salary-earning pool for science-skilled workers. A med-school student is likely to see his or her college classmates who majored in the hard sciences making big money elsewhere before they even get to dissect their first cadaver.

All that extra time in school brings up another little problem called "tuition," which serves as an additional barrier to entry to those students still willing to blow a decade and a half in school. That tuition problem translates to a median $170,000 debt for graduating med students. Again that's median, so half of all medical-school grads actually have debt more than that. Many of them are in the neighborhood of more like $500,000 in the hole

She makes big bucks now. But it was a freaking nightmare getting into school for just those reasons.

Yet the ER Doctor is probably the most demanding job for a Doctor. Most don't take the outside jobs that pay so lucrative. You may believe your Niece is well paid but she's a pauper by Doctor Standards. And she earns every dime that she is paid.

Yet the ER Doctor is probably the most demanding job for a Doctor. Most don't take the outside jobs that pay so lucrative. You may believe your Niece is well paid but she's a pauper by Doctor Standards. And she earns every dime that she is paid.
I know.
But she isn't a pauper by doc standards. She had all her loans paid off by the age of 30 and literally has more money than she knows what to do with..

though I think she's figuring it out hahahaha. She just bought her second house, and it is amazing.

WP_20170609_013.jpg

Super cool fireplace.
I want to live at her house.

I know.
But she isn't a pauper by doc standards. She had all her loans paid off by the age of 30 and literally has more money than she knows what to do with..

though I think she's figuring it out hahahaha. She just bought her second house, and it is amazing.

Then she is taking side jobs. The normal pay for an ER Doctor can be as little as 150K. But the side jobs pay at least a half million. I have studied why the VA has such a shortage of MDs. The reason is, the pay at the VA is on the average of 129K and no side jobs are allowed.

We have a higher than average Medicare here. It's darned tough to get a doctor to accept you and it gets worse every year. Many MDs can't afford to stay around here because of the low pay due to Managed Care of one type or another.

I am 100% covered through Tricare and Medicare (minus the deductibles) and I am trying to break away from the VA. The VA doesn't want me to break away since people like me pay for their lights. But one mention of Medicare to a group of civilian doctors means the doors slam shut fast. It would take a new MD in town for me to get into their services. Fat chance on that one since even the older ones are moving.

It was competitive then as well. You had to test out to get considered and then they only took the top of the cream. These people had the talent and the will be be a MD.

Today, many are in it for the money. Once you do the 8 years, you can go into private practice and specialize.
My wife is a medical student. After those 8 years you have to go through residency.

Forum List

Back