When arguing against SNAP for single mothers, why do repubs ignore the children themselves?

What are you talking about?

Junk food is much cheaper than "basic nutritious foods". How many nutritious, complete meals for the whole family do you think $130 bucks a month can buy?

It's as if you live in an alternate reality.

I went to several government and other websites, the $133 is the average per person not per family and that is incorrect according to this site.

How Much Could I Receive Food and Nutrition Service

$ 649 is more than my family of four spends on food.
Your post is a little misleading. $649 is the maximum for a family of 4 in the US. Food prices vary considerable across the country as do SNAP benefits. The monthly recommended food allowance for a person in Honolulu is $457 and in Jackson Miss, $189. In the City of Seattle, a family of 4 with no income could expect to receive approximately $450/mo in SNAP benefits.
Food Prices in Jackson MS United States

According to the Washington State website it is $649.00 is the amount they can earn. A family of four no income. And it is a lot more than $134.00 per family that everyone is using. I am finding a lot of misleading info on this thread. I find it interesting you find only me the one misleading. I went by the USDA site which has the national averages.

A family of four in Mississippi with no income can earn $632 a month in food stamp benefits. I am not checking you Hawaii claim, I think you are way off in your calculations.
Admittedly I was mistaken about how much funding families receive. Your logic is still flawed however. If a family has no income, shouldn't they receive more money than families with income? These cases are rare considering most people on SNAP are employed but make less than peanuts. It is uncommon for SNAP recipients to be unemployed.

That is not what I said. But I really don't expect honesty from you, you try to pretend to be honest, but the title of this thread shows your dishonesty.

You are what you are.
LOL and you certainly are who you are.

I went to several government and other websites, the $133 is the average per person not per family and that is incorrect according to this site.

Your post is a little misleading. $649 is the maximum for a family of 4 in the US. Food prices vary considerable across the country as do SNAP benefits. The monthly recommended food allowance for a person in Honolulu is $457 and in Jackson Miss, $189. In the City of Seattle, a family of 4 with no income could expect to receive approximately $450/mo in SNAP benefits.

According to the Washington State website it is $649.00 is the amount they can earn. A family of four no income. And it is a lot more than $134.00 per family that everyone is using. I am finding a lot of misleading info on this thread. I find it interesting you find only me the one misleading. I went by the USDA site which has the national averages.

A family of four in Mississippi with no income can earn $632 a month in food stamp benefits. I am not checking you Hawaii claim, I think you are way off in your calculations.
Admittedly I was mistaken about how much funding families receive. Your logic is still flawed however. If a family has no income, shouldn't they receive more money than families with income? These cases are rare considering most people on SNAP are employed but make less than peanuts. It is uncommon for SNAP recipients to be unemployed.

That is not what I said. But I really don't expect honesty from you, you try to pretend to be honest, but the title of this thread shows your dishonesty.

You are what you are.
LOL and you certainly are who you are.
That's true, however I am not the troll, you are.

Last edited:
Oh let me guess the famous "lobsters argument" right? They can buy lobsters? That's what you don't like? Christ dude, try to think realistically will you? The average person on SNAP gets about $133 per month and makes no more than $744 per MONTH. If they did buy lobsters, they would only be screwing themselves by going hungry.
Who said anything about lobster?
Look, you're playing stupid to further a political point....
You know darned well what is basic nutritious foods which are far less expensive than convenience and junk food.
But to your side it is not politically correct to demand these people's food choices are limited to foods that can be easily made into nutritious meals.

Junk food is much cheaper than "basic nutritious foods". How many nutritious, complete meals for the whole family do you think $130 bucks a month can buy?

What you see on the web site is the estimated of maximum. Your actual monthly benefits are based on current standards and your households total circumstances. Benefits can be less or more than these estimates.

Basic Food Estimator

Last edited:
Who said anything about lobster?
Look, you're playing stupid to further a political point....
You know darned well what is basic nutritious foods which are far less expensive than convenience and junk food.
But to your side it is not politically correct to demand these people's food choices are limited to foods that can be easily made into nutritious meals.

What you see on the web site is the estimated of maximum. Your actual monthly benefits are based on current standards and your households total circumstances. Benefits can be less or more than these estimates.

Basic Food Estimator
I know what, I also see the posts before said that families could not eat off $133 a month. If you are making nothing a the max for a family of four is $649, if you are bringing more income you don't need the government to continue to pay the higher rate. That is not depriving any family of food. It is making the people actually responsible for their own well being to chip in and pay for some of their own food.

of all the social welfare programs------I consider SNAP to be
the most justifiable------we should all be happy that our country
provides food for ALL

It must be acceptable since there are 47 million souls receiving SNAP food stamps.

I will turn this back on you....Why are YOU not writing checks?....Where is YOUR compassion?
Um well even if I did write checks, it really wouldn't fix the broad problem now would it?
What problem?
That 15% of our population lives in poverty. That the vast majority of those on food stamps would starve without it.
Who told you that? Did that come from some blog or government website turned out by those with a vested interest in seeing these programs grow without limits?
Here are the actual facts. The average household (not simply one person) on food stamps has a gross income of $744 per MONTH. The average household gets about $133 a month in assistance.

Get food stampd
I will turn this back on you....Why are YOU not writing checks?....Where is YOUR compassion?
Um well even if I did write checks, it really wouldn't fix the broad problem now would it?
What problem?
That 15% of our population lives in poverty. That the vast majority of those on food stamps would starve without it.
Who told you that? Did that come from some blog or government website turned out by those with a vested interest in seeing these programs grow without limits?
Here are the actual facts. The average household (not simply one person) on food stamps has a gross income of $744 per MONTH. The average household gets about $133 a month in assistance.

Do you think some of those folks get on any of these programs as well as food stamps?

"U.S. Welfare Programs fit into 13 large categories which are listed and described below. All U.S. Welfare Programs provide benefits to low-income individuals and families. The programs represent entitlements to all Americans but benefits are only paid to individuals and families with low income. For more information see theDefinition of Welfare Page, theEntitlement Programs Pageand theSocial Safety Net Page.
In addition to the 13 programs shown below, U.S. Welfare Programs also include the Medicaid Program which provides health care to low-income citizens and certain non-citizens.

Negative Income Tax– Two tax credit programs are administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to distribute money to low-income Americans. The tax credits include a “refundable” portion which is paid to individuals and families that owe no income tax for the year. Therefore, this portion of the tax credits act as “negative income tax”. The two programs are the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and the Child Tax Credit. More

SNAP– This is a food program for low-income individuals and families. SNAP used to be called the food stamp program and stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. It is run by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). Participants receive a debit card which is accepted in most grocery stories for the purchase of food. More

Housing Assistance– Various housing programs are administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) including rental assistance, public housing and various community development grants. More.

SSI– This is a program to pay cash to low-income individuals over 65 years of age or under 65 if the individual is blind or disabled. SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income and is administered by the Social Security Administration. More

Pell Grants– This is a grant program administered by the Department of Education to distribute up to $5,550 to students from low-income households to promote postsecondary education (colleges and trade schools). More

TANF- This is a combined federal and state program that pays cash to low-income households with the goal of moving individuals from welfare to work. TANF stands for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and is administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. More

Child Nutrition– These are food programs administered by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) which include school lunch, breakfast and after school programs. They target children from low-income households and provide free or reduced price meals. More

Head Start– This is a pre-school program available to kids from low-income families. It is administered by HHS (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services). More

Job Training Programs– These are a myriad of training programs administered by the Department of Labor (DOL) to provide job training, displacement and employment services generally targeting low-income Americans. More

WIC - This is a program to provide Healthy food to pregnant women and children up to five years of age. WIC stands for Women, Infants and Children and is available to low-income households. More.

Child Care– This is a block grant program to states and local public and private agencies who administer child care programs to low-income families. It is administered by HHS. More

LIHEAP– This is a program to aid low-income households that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy, either heating or cooling a residential dwelling. LIHEAP stands for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program and is administered by HHS. More

Lifeline (Obama Phone)– This is a program to provide discounted phone service, including cell phones, to low-income individuals. The program is administered by the Federal Communications Commission. More

Pell Grants– This is a grant program administered by the Department of Education to distribute up to $5,550 to students from low-income households to promote postsecondary education (colleges and trade schools). More

TANF- This is a combined federal and state program that pays cash to low-income households with the goal of moving individuals from welfare to work. TANF stands for Temporary Assistance for Needy Families and is administered by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. More

Child Nutrition– These are food programs administered by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture) which include school lunch, breakfast and after school programs. They target children from low-income households and provide free or reduced price meals. More

Head Start– This is a pre-school program available to kids from low-income families. It is administered by HHS (U.S. Department of Health and Human Services). More

Job Training Programs– These are a myriad of training programs administered by the Department of Labor (DOL) to provide job training, displacement and employment services generally targeting low-income Americans. More

WIC - This is a program to provide Healthy food to pregnant women and children up to five years of age. WIC stands for Women, Infants and Children and is available to low-income households. More.

Child Care– This is a block grant program to states and local public and private agencies who administer child care programs to low-income families. It is administered by HHS. More

LIHEAP– This is a program to aid low-income households that pay a high proportion of household income for home energy, either heating or cooling a residential dwelling. LIHEAP stands for Low Income Home Energy Assistance Program and is administered by HHS. More

Lifeline (Obama Phone)– This is a program to provide discounted phone service, including cell phones, to low-income individuals. The program is administered by the Federal Communications Commission. More"

provides food for ALL

Even more justifiable: Cutting taxes so that people can use the money they save to buy their own food, without the government having to be involved.

What problem?

Get food stampd
What problem?

Do you think some of those folks get on any of these programs as well as food stamps?

"U.S. Welfare Programs fit into 13 large categories which are listed and described below. All U.S. Welfare Programs provide benefits to low-income individuals and families. The programs represent entitlements to all Americans but benefits are only paid to individuals and families with low income. For more information see theDefinition of Welfare Page, theEntitlement Programs Pageand theSocial Safety Net Page.
In addition to the 13 programs shown below, U.S. Welfare Programs also include the Medicaid Program which provides health care to low-income citizens and certain non-citizens.

Negative Income Tax– Two tax credit programs are administered by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to distribute money to low-income Americans. The tax credits include a “refundable” portion which is paid to individuals and families that owe no income tax for the year. Therefore, this portion of the tax credits act as “negative income tax”. The two programs are the Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC), and the Child Tax Credit. More

SNAP– This is a food program for low-income individuals and families. SNAP used to be called the food stamp program and stands for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program. It is run by the USDA (United States Department of Agriculture). Participants receive a debit card which is accepted in most grocery stories for the purchase of food. More

Housing Assistance– Various housing programs are administered by the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) including rental assistance, public housing and various community development grants. More.

SSI– This is a program to pay cash to low-income individuals over 65 years of age or under 65 if the individual is blind or disabled. SSI stands for Supplemental Security Income and is administered by the Social Security Administration. More

Lifeline (Obama Phone)– This is a program to provide discounted phone service, including cell phones, to low-income individuals. The program is administered by the Federal Communications Commission. More

Lifeline (Obama Phone)– This is a program to provide discounted phone service, including cell phones, to low-income individuals. The program is administered by the Federal Communications Commission. More"

Yeah add all those up for a year..and tell me again that ANY PERSON receiving SSI has paid that much in income taxes or property taxes.

HA! Only a retard who has NEVER worked with this population would be so incredibly stupid.

So when are people going to stop calling it an Obama phone?

I believe a black woman coined that phrase on TV and it stuck. I wouldn't criticize her for fear of being called a racist.

provides food for ALL

Even more justifiable: Cutting taxes so that people can use the money they save to buy their own food, without the government having to be involved.

swim----some people do not have money. ----sometimes such a circumstance is temporary-----sometimes terminal. For tragedies that do HAPPEN to people-----talk to anyone you know who works in health care----or for that matter also in
LAW------

I believe a black woman coined that phrase on TV and it stuck. I wouldn't criticize her for fear of being called a racist.

I would support subsidized phones only for the disabled poor.-----or for some very poor family caring for a very disabled person. It actually bothers me to see teenagers
walking around attached to cell phones------another problem
is what happens to people who do not have cell phones----
WTF have they done with the phone booths?

I would support subsidized phones only for the disabled poor.-----or for some very poor family caring for a very disabled person. It actually bothers me to see teenagers
walking around attached to cell phones------another problem
is what happens to people who do not have cell phones----
WTF have they done with the phone booths?

Sorry Rosie, but the pay phones were all vandalized for the quarters in them.

Wow rosie, you're a tad out of touch.

The Obama phones are in full swing. Your federal government gave a LOT of money to Virgin and probably other monster corps as well, to donate limited minutes and cheap phones to foodstamp recipients willing to apply and jump through the hoops.

provides food for ALL

swim----some people do not have money. ----sometimes such a circumstance is temporary-----sometimes terminal. For tragedies that do HAPPEN to people-----talk to anyone you know who works in health care----or for that matter also in
LAW------

Sure, there are dire cases where people literally don't have two dimes to rub together, no job, and no idea how they're going to survive the night. But let's face it, those are the exception to the rule. The vast majority of food stamp recipients are working poor. I think it would be better to significantly cut funding for the program, reserve it truly dire situations, and cut the taxes so that people can keep their own money and feed themselves.

What problem?

Get food stampd
What problem?

Did you even read the description of all of those? Very few people on SNAP get any sort of other government assistance related to being poor besides perhaps childcare assistance. Maybe they would get housing assistance as well but they would have to be dirt, dirt poor.

What problem?

Get food stampd
What problem?

Did you even read the description of all of those? Very few people on SNAP get any sort of other government assistance related to being poor besides perhaps childcare assistance. Maybe they would get housing assistance as well but they would have to be dirt, dirt poor.

Oooh..wrong. And wrong again.

People who are eligible for foodstamps are also financially eligible for most housing/energy subsidies.

Get food stampd

Oooh..wrong. And wrong again.

People who are eligible for foodstamps are also financially eligible for most housing/energy subsidies.
Well probably but considering the average total income for one household on these programs is $744 per month they would need it wouldn't they?

Forum List

Back