When arguing against SNAP for single mothers, why do repubs ignore the children themselves?

Deflection.

Are you claiming that you wouldn't feel happiness if a small portion of the taxes you pay went to feed needy children?

I'd feel happiness if you bleeding hearts would voluntarily do with your own money what you demand the rest of us be forced to do on this matter. The government need not be involved. If people like you would actually go out and do with your own money what you find for the rest of us to do with ours, the problem would be solved. It won't happen because it would mean you would actually have to do it rather than talk about it being done.

If we all stopped paying that small portion in taxes that goes to SNAP, WIC, and other social safety services and donated it to just charities that help needy children, it would not stop people from having kids who shouldn't and taking advantage of these charities.

The state has a compelling interest in the welfare of children. Otherwise we would have no Child Protective Services.

If you bleeding hearts pooled your own money together and personally gave to those you say deserve your money to the level you claim compassion, taxes wouldn't need to be taken for such things. Even it that didn't stop people from having kids, at least they'd be abusing your money and I could care less because it's YOUR money.

I agree.

All those who think all these bullshit social programs are great should pool THEIR money and give it to all those folks that say they need it. Believe me they will take every dime you want to give them.

Hope they have lots of money because freeloaders abound in the U S of A.

The word charity doesn't exist in the constitution.

Taxpayers money wasn't supposed to be used to support every poor person there was.

The tought of money being used for that would have never entered anyones mind back in colonial America. People took care of themselves and no one expected the Govt to give them squat.

Today we have an entire generation who thinks the Govt is here to take care of them. To pay for their food, housing and any medical care they need using taxpayer money and boy do they lap it up. "Free" money.

The Govt isn't supposed to take care of anyone. Your supposed to take care of yourselves.

As a taxpayer I'm sick of my hardearned money going to some douchbag who can't take care of themselves or their kids.

As for the kids? They are the resonsibility of their parents not the taxpayers of america.

did your douchbag children attend public school? did you?
-----when I was a kid I liked to do street roller skating-----
remember those metal things we latched onto our shoes?
When my dad said "taxes pay for the side walks"-----It was
clear to me that I benefitted from taxes----as to school---I would have been happy to do without it

I have no kids because I couldn't afford to have kids so made sure I didn't have any. Unlike the freeloaders we have today.

As for the sidewalks?? Taxes pay for the sidewalks and the infrastructure.

I pay local, State and Fed taxes so I think I can use those sidewalks.

I have no problem paying taxes. I do have a big problem when my hardearned dollars go to support some douchbag who can't or won't take care of themselves.

Not my responsibility to bankroll their lives for em and it sure ain't the responsiblity of the other taxpayers in America either.

The word Charity isn't in the contitution and thats what all this social bullshit is. Charity.

The word Charity isn't in the contitution and thats what all this social bullshit is. Charity.

Good to see that someone understands that this nation was not founded or built on Christian values.
You know how all those damn Christians are always talking about "charity" and "giving to the neediest among us" and all that shit. Then they get talking about how the country was founded on all that Christian bullshit.
Glad to see that you understand it was not founded on all that.

It was founded on dog eat dog. Winner take all. Survival of the fittest and all that shit.

And if someone wants to help the "poor" the founding fathers had a name for them; suckers.
Clearly the founding fathers had you in mind when they got this nation going.

Define "food"...
Because what's permitted under SNAP and other food( notice the term "nutrition" is absent) stipends, the crap the recipients are allowed to buy is a disgrace.
Oh let me guess the famous "lobsters argument" right? They can buy lobsters? That's what you don't like? Christ dude, try to think realistically will you? The average person on SNAP gets about $133 per month and makes no more than $744 per MONTH. If they did buy lobsters, they would only be screwing themselves by going hungry.
Who said anything about lobster?
Look, you're playing stupid to further a political point....
You know darned well what is basic nutritious foods which are far less expensive than convenience and junk food.
But to your side it is not politically correct to demand these people's food choices are limited to foods that can be easily made into nutritious meals.

What are you talking about?

Junk food is much cheaper than "basic nutritious foods". How many nutritious, complete meals for the whole family do you think $130 bucks a month can buy?

It's as if you live in an alternate reality.

I went to several government and other websites, the $133 is the average per person not per family. So to say feeding the whole family for $130 is not correct.

you are absolutely correct-----the food stamp program is VERY GENEROUS------perhaps it should be cut back a bit.
-----It actually----(IMHO) does not take $133.00 to feed
EACH member of a large family.-----It logically takes that much to feed one. But if there are ten people in a family-----I see no reason for a $ 13,00.00 stipend per month ----I am a housewife (sorta) and just see no reason for it.
I grew up in a family of seven (ie I had four sibs)----my mom
could have done much better than that-----in fact she did in times of stress. She was quite resourceful when my dad
ended up hospitalized for more than a year---------not fun but she did it

Why the Spartan regimen. Did you not know, that in the US, even children can have a sense of entitlement to parents of the opposite gender? It must be due simply to our political-economy, thank goodness for the Wisdom of our Founding Fathers.

The United States is the world's largest national economy, representing 22% of nominal global GDP and 17% of global GDP (PPP).[23][24][25][26][27][28] The United States' GDP was estimated to be $17.711 trillion as of Q4 2014
Source: Economy of the United States - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Does the right forget, that corporate, means tested welfare, even provides for multimillion dollar bonuses to Persons who are nowhere near our poverty thresholds, and can afford to hire entire departments to help them conform to rational choice theory or fill out corporate welfare forms in triplicate in necessary.

I'd feel happiness if you bleeding hearts would voluntarily do with your own money what you demand the rest of us be forced to do on this matter. The government need not be involved. If people like you would actually go out and do with your own money what you find for the rest of us to do with ours, the problem would be solved. It won't happen because it would mean you would actually have to do it rather than talk about it being done.

If we all stopped paying that small portion in taxes that goes to SNAP, WIC, and other social safety services and donated it to just charities that help needy children, it would not stop people from having kids who shouldn't and taking advantage of these charities.

The state has a compelling interest in the welfare of children. Otherwise we would have no Child Protective Services.

If you bleeding hearts pooled your own money together and personally gave to those you say deserve your money to the level you claim compassion, taxes wouldn't need to be taken for such things. Even it that didn't stop people from having kids, at least they'd be abusing your money and I could care less because it's YOUR money.

I agree.

All those who think all these bullshit social programs are great should pool THEIR money and give it to all those folks that say they need it. Believe me they will take every dime you want to give them.

Hope they have lots of money because freeloaders abound in the U S of A.

The word charity doesn't exist in the constitution.

Taxpayers money wasn't supposed to be used to support every poor person there was.

The tought of money being used for that would have never entered anyones mind back in colonial America. People took care of themselves and no one expected the Govt to give them squat.

Today we have an entire generation who thinks the Govt is here to take care of them. To pay for their food, housing and any medical care they need using taxpayer money and boy do they lap it up. "Free" money.

The Govt isn't supposed to take care of anyone. Your supposed to take care of yourselves.

As a taxpayer I'm sick of my hardearned money going to some douchbag who can't take care of themselves or their kids.

As for the kids? They are the resonsibility of their parents not the taxpayers of america.

did your douchbag children attend public school? did you?
-----when I was a kid I liked to do street roller skating-----
remember those metal things we latched onto our shoes?
When my dad said "taxes pay for the side walks"-----It was
clear to me that I benefitted from taxes----as to school---I would have been happy to do without it

I have no kids because I couldn't afford to have kids so made sure I didn't have any. Unlike the freeloaders we have today.

As for the sidewalks?? Taxes pay for the sidewalks and the infrastructure.

I pay local, State and Fed taxes so I think I can use those sidewalks.

I have no problem paying taxes. I do have a big problem when my hardearned dollars go to support some douchbag who can't or won't take care of themselves.

Not my responsibility to bankroll their lives for em and it sure ain't the responsiblity of the other taxpayers in America either.

Providing for the general welfare is providing for the general charity of the People. Public charity can solve (official) poverty, private charity can only cover multitudes of sins. Which is more moral. I believe our Founding Fathers were wise even beyond their Age.

Good to see that someone understands that this nation was not founded or built on Christian values.
You know how all those damn Christians are always talking about "charity" and "giving to the neediest among us" and all that shit. Then they get talking about how the country was founded on all that Christian bullshit.

It was founded on dog eat dog. Winner take all. Survival of the fittest and all that shit.

And if someone wants to help the "poor" the founding fathers had a name for them; suckers.

Hey, If you want to help the poor then by all means whip out YOUR wallet, YOUR checkbook and YOUR debit card. I'm sure they will be more than happy to take every dime you want to give them.

You and all likeminded can spend YOUR money on the poor. They will be more than happy to take your money.

There is nothing in the constitution that says those that work and pay taxes have to bankroll those that don't.

The FF were indeed wise beyond their years.

Hey, If you want to help the poor then by all means whip out YOUR wallet, YOUR checkbook and YOUR debit card. I'm sure they will be more than happy to take every dime you want to give them.

You and all likeminded can spend YOUR money on the poor. They will be more than happy to take your money.

There is nothing in the constitution that says those that work and pay taxes have to bankroll those that don't.
General welfare clauses?

Like I say, pretend it's YOUR tax dollars paying for the military and MY tax dollars paying for the poor peoples help.
Seeing as how you can't point out exactly where it was that YOUR dollars got spent. Just pretend that you know where they are going. It'll make life easier for you. Well that and a better paying job probably.

General welfare clauses?

Like I say, pretend it's YOUR tax dollars paying for the military and MY tax dollars paying for the poor peoples help.
Seeing as how you can't point out exactly where it was that YOUR dollars got spent. Just pretend that you know where they are going. It'll make life easier for you. Well that and a better paying job probably.
The military is necessary to keep this country safe.
Poor people could die and it wouldn't create a problem for our country other than having to dispose of the bodies.

of all the social welfare programs------I consider SNAP to be
the most justifiable------we should all be happy that our country
provides food for ALL
Define "food"...
Because what's permitted under SNAP and other food( notice the term "nutrition" is absent) stipends, the crap the recipients are allowed to buy is a disgrace.
Oh let me guess the famous "lobsters argument" right? They can buy lobsters? That's what you don't like? Christ dude, try to think realistically will you? The average person on SNAP gets about $133 per month and makes no more than $744 per MONTH. If they did buy lobsters, they would only be screwing themselves by going hungry.
You know darned well what is basic nutritious foods which are far less expensive than convenience and junk food.
But to your side it is not politically correct to demand these people's food choices are limited to foods that can be easily made into nutritious meals.

Junk food is much cheaper than "basic nutritious foods". How many nutritious, complete meals for the whole family do you think $130 bucks a month can buy?

I went to several government and other websites, the $133 is the average per person not per family and that is incorrect according to this site.

How Much Could I Receive Food and Nutrition Service

$ 649 is more than my family of four spends on food.
Your post is a little misleading. $649 is the maximum for a family of 4 in the US. Food prices vary considerable across the country as do SNAP benefits. The monthly recommended food allowance for a person in Honolulu is $457 and in Jackson Miss, $189. In the City of Seattle, a family of 4 with no income could expect to receive approximately $450/mo in SNAP benefits.
Food Prices in Jackson MS United States

The FF were indeed wise beyond their years.
According to the constitutions, “The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defense and General Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States.” Wisely, the founders were not specific as to the use of taxes. So you're correct, they didn't specify that taxes could be used to feed the poor just as didn't specify that tax dollars could be used to fight wars in Muslim countries.

To say that the constitution doesn't say anything about using tax dollars to feed the poor just show you have no understanding of the Constitution.

Define "food"...

I went to several government and other websites, the $133 is the average per person not per family and that is incorrect according to this site.

Your post is a little misleading. $649 is the maximum for a family of 4 in the US. Food prices vary considerable across the country as do SNAP benefits. The monthly recommended food allowance for a person in Honolulu is $457 and in Jackson Miss, $189. In the City of Seattle, a family of 4 with no income could expect to receive approximately $450/mo in SNAP benefits.

OH-----I know only for my own city------sorry. In my city people do manage to shift people around to max out benefits.
There are ways. If grandma has "custody"- of this or that kid-----and auntie of the other kid. etc etc-----they can max out the benefits. I have lots of sympathy which is why people TOLD me. I DON'T TELL. Because of my profession---that which people tell me is legally "confidential"--------I do not have to reveal even in court----
not that I was ever in that position------but ---that which I write
in my notes-----is moderated by the fact that some people can be INDUCED to give it up as in "sure---I will sign to give over my records" For the people out there-----YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAND OVER YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS----BY LAW.

The military is necessary to keep this country safe.
Poor people could die and it wouldn't create a problem for our country other than having to dispose of the bodies.

Well good, It's your tax dollars keeping us safe from the Muslim hoards at the gate.

And my tax dollars keeping people from burning down our cities cause they can't feed themselves.

Seems fair to me.

That is the last thing I want to see, not only in our country, but world wide.
When 1% of the population has more than 1/2 the wealth in the world. The sin of gluttony exceeds the sin 1000 fold.
The cry of the hungry and destitute should be deafening.

You must be one of those "christian right wing" believers of jesus.

provides food for ALL

Why should I be happy that the portion of taxes taken from me that can go to my kids goes to someone else?

You need not be happy if you do not wish to be happy and
would rather see children dying of malnutrition

Some really have twisted morals.

You must be one of those "christian right wing" believers of jesus.

provides food for ALL

Why should I be happy that the portion of taxes taken from me that can go to my kids goes to someone else?
That should require a moral of "goodwill toward men".

OH-----I know only for my own city------sorry. In my city people do manage to shift people around to max out benefits.
There are ways. If grandma has "custody"- of this or that kid-----and auntie of the other kid. etc etc-----they can max out the benefits. I have lots of sympathy which is why people TOLD me. I DON'T TELL. Because of my profession---that which people tell me is legally "confidential"--------I do not have to reveal even in court----
not that I was ever in that position------but ---that which I write
in my notes-----is moderated by the fact that some people can be INDUCED to give it up as in "sure---I will sign to give over my records" For the people out there-----YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAND OVER YOUR MEDICAL RECORDS----BY LAW.
If you're talking about fraud, then yes I'm sure it occurs. However, there is an audit ever 6 months of households receiving benefits. Like most government audits some are cursory, just computer checks of social security numbers, taxes, and employment. However random audits are in depth. The first offense penalty for fraud is 1 year in prison. With additional offenses prison time increases.

Maybe there are some things you don't understand about food stamps. The benefit is for a household. There is no requirement that members of the household be related, however they must live in the same domicile. There is no need for medical records. Social Security numbers, birthday dates, and citizenship must be provided for each member of the household as well ids for all adults. The income for all members with documentation verifying income is required. Also documentation of the address of the household. Verification of data usually takes about 3 weeks before benefits are issued.

There are several other interesting rules that many people are unaware.

Able bodied adults without dependents between 18 and 50 can get SNAP benefits only for 3 months in a 36-month period if they do not work or participate in a workfare or employment and training program other than job search.

Able-bodied adults between 16 and 60 must register for work, accept suitable employment, and take part in an employment and training program to which they are referred by the local office. Failure to comply with these requirements can result in disqualification from the Program.

Benefit periods can range from 1 month to 3 years. Reapplication is required every 6 months.

General welfare clauses?

Nope. It says to Promote the General Welfare, not provide it.

That is the last thing I want to see, not only in our country, but world wide.
When 1% of the population has more than 1/2 the wealth in the world. The sin of gluttony exceeds the sin 1000 fold.
The cry of the hungry and destitute should be deafening.]
. Your numbers are skewed.

Define "food"...

According to the Washington State website it is $649.00 is the amount they can earn. A family of four no income. And it is a lot more than $134.00 per family that everyone is using. I am finding a lot of misleading info on this thread. I find it interesting you find only me the one misleading. I went by the USDA site which has the national averages.

A family of four in Mississippi with no income can earn $632 a month in food stamp benefits. I am not checking you Hawaii claim, I think you are way off in your calculations.

Last edited:

According to the Washington State website it is $649.00 is the amount they can earn. A family of four no income. And it is a lot more than $134.00 per family that everyone is using. I am finding a lot of misleading info on this thread. I find it interesting you find only me the one misleading. I went by the USDA site which has the national averages.

A family of four in Mississippi with no income can earn $632 a month in food stamp benefits. I am not checking you Hawaii claim, I think you are way off in your calculations.
Admittedly I was mistaken about how much funding families receive. Your logic is still flawed however. If a family has no income, shouldn't they receive more money than families with income? These cases are rare considering most people on SNAP are employed but make less than peanuts. It is uncommon for SNAP recipients to be unemployed.

They say "well she shouldn't have had kids in the first place therefore she shouldn't get any ."

Of course as always republicans reason the way mentally retarded people do so you must remind them the kids themselves benefit from this welfare. It also doesn't help that low wage jobs largely outnumber higher wage jobs so this is a difficult situation for this family as you could imagine.

So repubs, shouldn't those kids born to a broke caregiver deserve food stamps assistance? After all, 83% of food stamp funding goes to households with at least one dependent living there.

When becoming a mother, why do Democrats ignore the children themselves? How are you going to feed a child when you can't even feed yourself?

Admittedly I was mistaken about how much funding families receive. Your logic is still flawed however. If a family has no income, shouldn't they receive more money than families with income? These cases are rare considering most people on SNAP are employed but make less than peanuts. It is uncommon for SNAP recipients to be unemployed.

That is not what I said. But I really don't expect honesty from you, you try to pretend to be honest, but the title of this thread shows your dishonesty.

You are what you are.

Forum List

Back