What's wrong with this picture?

I can buy a bigger TV than that for less than $500 bucks right now.

No you can't. At minimum that is a 55", though I would say a 60"
But even if you could, $500 could buy her electricity through January.

And you know when she bought it? How long have Xbox360's been out?
How do you know the Xbox was not a gift? My friend has an Xbox that her dad bought her son, along with a big screen tv.

I had a hard time paying some bills when I was 25. I sold the watch my grandfather gave me.

That's what Ms. Kelley said. However, she could be a total fucking liar. That's entirely possible too.

Except you have already assumed she is a liar. Your attitude throughout this thread has reflected such a thought process. I have no doubt at this point that you believe she is one of those "cadillac welfare queens". Unless you can show receipts, you have no idea when she bought that television or Xbox 360.

True, but we know she'd rather keep them than pay her bills.

These issues always, always play out the same.
Conservatives, who place personal responsibility high within their opinions on these matters will immediately question the "need" that is presented; and ask questions about how this person got here, and what are THEY doing to improve their lot.
Liberals on the other hand don't particularly like the idea of personal responsibility, and therefore place no such judgements on the needy - and would continue giving other people's money to them even if they have to borrow more to do it.

It is because of this that so many non-profits budgets grow every single year; without ever solving the problems they are trying to help.
They in fact ensure that not only the problem of the poor continue - but grow.

This lady has bills stacking up, but instead of paying them chooses the keep her Xbox and huge TV. Her heating bills may very well be caused by using an inefficient and improperly sized space heater. Those are poor financial decisions and they are indicative of why in many cases "the rich get richer while the poor get poorer." Until she stops doing the things making her poor she will be so at any level of income.

Conservatives, who place personal responsibility high within their opinions on these matters will immediately question the "need" that is presented; and ask questions about how this person got here, and what are THEY doing to improve their lot.
Liberals on the other hand don't particularly like the idea of personal responsibility, and therefore place no such judgements on the needy - and would continue giving other people's money to them even if they have to borrow more to do it.

It is because of this that so many non-profits budgets grow every single year; without ever solving the problems they are trying to help.

This lady has bills stacking up, but instead of paying them chooses the keep her Xbox and huge TV. Her heating bills may very well be caused by using an inefficient and improperly sized space heater. Those are poor financial decisions and they are indicative of why in many cases "the rich get richer while the poor get poorer." Until she stops doing the things making her poor she will be so at any level of income.

What her Xbox had the rings of death? No one would buy it.
The point is, none of you know what is going on in her life.

And neither do you.
But we absolutely have the right to question her decisions.
Any time a person goes on the public tit - it is certainly our right to critique that person(s) decisions that got them there - and poor judgements/laziness that keeps them on our dollar.

So we should just STFU and send a check? Why can't we actually help her?

Last edited:
20101215-221428-pic-125665235.embedded.prod_affiliate.71.jpg

WOODY MARSHALL/THE TELEGRAPH Showing her Georgia Power bills in the one warm room of her home, Raymeica Kelly explains how her mother, sister and herself were turned away from the Energy Assistance Program on Wednesday morning after standing in line for four hours. All three complained that the system the Macon-Bibb County Economic Opportunity Council uses to give out the assistance needs improving.

Read more: Funding cuts leave many without home heating assistance in Macon - Local & State - Macon.com

She can't pay her bills but can afford a big screen tv. Typical welfare family.

True we don't know what's going on in her life. But we do know who's paying the bills for all the welfare queens.

And neither do you.
But we absolutely have the right to question her decisions.
Any time a person goes on the public tit - it is certainly our right to critique that person(s) decisions that got them there - and poor judgements/laziness that keeps them on our dollar.

DId you see the part where she just started a new job? She was on unemployment before that, which means she had a job before. Like I said, you should not make judgements. You have no idea if she is lazy. All it says is she needed help with her electric bill this month.
You also have no right to critique anyone without knowing all the facts.

True we don't know what's going on in her life. But we do know who's paying the bills for all the welfare queens.

Psst she was on unemployment, something SHE PAID INTO TO. And some of you say you are christians. You are attacking woman, who you know nothing about, because she needed help paying her electric bill this month. God would be proud.

So we should just STFU and send a check? Why can't we actually help her?

She has a new job, she just needs help with electric bill this month. What more do you want to do for her? Tell her how to live her life?

she was unemployed for a year before recently landing a job.

Read more: Funding cuts leave many without home heating assistance in Macon - Local & State - Macon.com

So, she had a job, paid her unemployment insurance, she now has a new job, and didn't receive any help. Exactly what is your problem with this lady? Is it that you can't tell her how to live her life?

I will also add, it states the woman had a job, and has a job now. Which means she has paid taxes, and will continue to do so now that she has a job. So, tell me again why you guys have the right to judge her?

Psst she was on unemployment, something SHE PAID INTO TO. And some of you say you are christians. You are attacking woman, who you know nothing about, because she needed help paying her electric bill this month. God would be proud.

She's never PAID INTO unemployment and it's obvious you have no idea how unemployment benefits work.

Calling a spade a spade isn't attacking.

She's never PAID INTO unemployment and it's obvious you have no idea how unemployment benefits work.

Sorry, she indirectly paid into unemployment. Is unemployment a taxable income?
And you have no idea if it is a spade, that is the point. You know nothing about the woman. All you know is she was unemployment, she has a new job, and needed help with her electric bill.

Last edited:

And you have no idea if it is a spade, that is the point. You know nothing about the woman. All you know is she was unemployment, she has a new job, and needed help with her electric bill.

Yes it's taxable but the fact is she didn't pay into it as you first claimed. The employers pay 6.2 percent on the first 7,000 dollars each employee earns and federal taxes covers the costs of administering UC.

When I see a person bitching about not being able to pay their bills while they sit and watch their big screen tv that tells me the person is a) isn't very bright and b) a parasite looking for a handout.

Yes it's taxable but the fact is she didn't pay into it as you first claimed. The employers pay 6.2 percent on the first 7,000 dollars each employee earns and federal taxes covers the costs of administering UC.

When I see a person bitching about not being able to pay their bills while they sit and watch their big screen tv that tells me the person is a) isn't very bright and b) a parasite looking for a handout.

I think you are the parasite. ;)
So, while employed she was indirectly paying for UE, along with directly paying into federal taxes. While collecting UE she was receiving TAXABLE income. So, really if she actually received help, which she didn't, she helped pay for the help she was receiving. Am I right?
If I work for 20 years, pay my taxes for 20 years, then either receive UE or welfare. Didn't I help pay for that the last 20 years?
So, in reality, this woman helped fund a program that she wasn't even allowed to use. And your problem with this is?

Forum List

Back