What's wrong with for profit healthcare

Has cancer been prevented yet?

In a lot of cases yes, thanks to research and development done right here in the United States. There are even medical for profit companies developing vaccines, again, right here in the US.

I'm among the few Senior Citizens posting here. I planned financially for retirement. But, what's the saying?... man plans and god laughs.

Like many average people in my age group, my concern is that my money and my life run out at the same time. (We should be born with an expiration date on our ass... sort of like a dairy product.) I'm fortunate to be in good health. I think it's more genetics than lifestyle. I pay about $100 a month for Medicare, another $130 for a supplement policy, and another $28 for Rx coverage. I pay for the additional coverage... just in case. So far, it's not exactly cost effective for me.

In November, the entry/change date, I will switch to an "advantage" plan, which I rejected before because I would lose my "freedom to choose". BFD! How many research the credentials of physicians anyway. Most of us "oldsters" choose a doctor because of proximity to where they live.

An even greater reason for the change is that more and more doctors are not accepting Medicare. Yes, they will see you, but you pay full price up front and then YOU accept what Medicare will pay... some months later... which is significantly less than what you paid the doctor. At present, I can afford to pay for my "freedom of choice", but for how long. What if I live another 25 years? I will have shelled out most of retirement nest egg on a "what if"... what if I get really sick, or need surgery, or develop a cancer... all real concerns for those in my age group. The odds of winning at the "what if" game are about like beating the odds in Vegas.

So, I'm perfectly willing to choose from a list of "participating physicians". I'm all for a triage system utilizing PA's at significantly less cost. I don't mind the wait to see the doctor if it means I can afford to take a little vacation or go see a movie once in a while.

I value my life as much as anyone but I prefer quality over quantity. But, should I be diagnosed with a life threatening form of the "big C", I'll say "Thanks for the warning." and book a cruise to the Caribbean or a tour of Greece... ever so much more fun than than gaining maybe 2 or 3 years of "existence" undergoing surgery, chemo, and/or radiation. No one lives forever and I won't be a lab rat for a pharmaceutical company.

I don't mean to sound maudlin, but this is just the way I feel about things.

Forum List

Back