What's the point of having pets?

Semper Fi said:
Once a dog pissed on my backpack when I was shooting my BB gun. The owners were very nice about it though, they washed it and offered to pay for it. Because they were so nice to me I decided not to be an asshole.

However, the past neighbor's we've had who's dogs insist on barking throughout the day and night I have little sympathy for. <b>I was pretty close to taking care of it if you know what I mean.
</b>

I would personally come kick your ass. You want to harm an animal for doing what's natural to them? :)

Why own pets? They help you live longer according to studies and I just like being able to come home to a friendly dog who's happy to see you. My cat makes me relaxed when I need it too.

Kagom said:
Why own pets? They help you live longer according to studies and I just like being able to come home to a friendly dog who's happy to see you. My cat makes me relaxed when I need it too.

They may be good for you, but they're not good for anybody else and they waste resources. Goldfish are enough.

Nuc said:
Another time I was playing music in the park with my eyes clothes when I felt something strange. A dog was pissing on my foot!

This is just too easy........

Ya know that dogs have much better hearing than we do and they aren't restrained by political correctness. Sounds like the dog was doing what a lot of people would love to do when some asswipe decides to subject the park population to what they think is good music. I myself would love to make the same critical statement to jerks on cell phones or cheesy assholes that have their acoustic guitar and insist on trying to be Joan Baez in public, we are not interested, shut the fuck up. :teeth:

sitarro said:

Ya know that dogs have much better hearing than we do and they aren't restrained by political correctness. Sounds like the dog was doing what a lot of people would love to do when some asswipe decides to subject the park population to what they think is good music. I myself would love to make the same critical statement to jerks on cell phones or cheesy assholes that have their acoustic guitar and insist on trying to be Joan Baez in public, we are not interested, shut the fuck up. :teeth:

In a civilized world people would come up to the person and politely ask them to refrain from producing music. Or just leave. This is America my friend, not France. We do not piss on people when they play music in parks. :)

Semper Fi said:
In a civilized world people would come up to the person and politely ask them to refrain from producing music. Or just leave. This is America my friend, not France. We do not piss on people when they play music in parks. :)

I was kidding, I wouldn't piss on someone's foot. I would pour a jar of cat piss in the air conditioning vent of their car but I would never, ever piss on their foot.......how uncouth!

sitarro said:
I was kidding, I wouldn't piss on someone foot. I would pour a jar of cat piss in the air conditioning vent of their car but I would never, ever piss on their foot.......how uncouth!

Alright then. Just as long as you dont piss on the man's foot.

sitarro said:

Joan Baez indeed! Are you admitting that your aesthetics are on par with that of a dog? One look at the Billboard Top 200 confirms that you are with the majority of Americans on that.

Nuc said:
I'd consider a dog if I lived in the country, but I don't think they belong in the city, or anywhere they don't have room to act like dogs without bothering humans.
That is a problem. Our dog can't be inside because it sets off my son's allergies/asthma. But he would always crawl under the fence in the back yard. We had to chain him for a long time, and I HATE that! I couldn't stand to look out back and see his pleading eyes, or hear him whining to be free. But, finally, he has grown big enough that he can't fit under the fence, so he's free! He sits on the back deck and watches us, when no one is playing with him. The back yard is a wreck, because he is still in the puppy chewing stage. But he is adorable, so we forgive him. :)

I don't know how he manages this, but he chews off every collar we have ever put on him. We have tried tightening it, but he still manages to somehow chew it off. The only one he didn't chew was the chain collar. But he chafed his neck raw with that. Anyone else had this problem?

mom4 said:
That is a problem. Our dog can't be inside because it sets off my son's allergies/asthma. But he would always crawl under the fence in the back yard. We had to chain him for a long time, and I HATE that! I couldn't stand to look out back and see his pleading eyes, or hear him whining to be free. But, finally, he has grown big enough that he can't fit under the fence, so he's free! He sits on the back deck and watches us, when no one is playing with him. The back yard is a wreck, because he is still in the puppy chewing stage. But he is adorable, so we forgive him. :)

I don't know how he manages this, but he chews off every collar we have ever put on him. We have tried tightening it, but he still manages to somehow chew it off. The only one he didn't chew was the chain collar. But he chafed his neck raw with that. Anyone else had this problem?

Some pets just refuse to wear a collar. Ratt will hang herself before she'll wear one.. Skittles is just fine with one.. Rather than letting the animal harm themselves to get rid of it, consider the microchip for if they ever get lost.. Just save collars for walks... I had to train Ratt to never step foot off the landing if she wanted to go outside, because I couldn't tie her up...

Nuc said:
Joan Baez indeed! Are you admitting that your aesthetics are on par with that of a dog? One look at the Billboard Top 200 confirms that you are with the majority of Americans on that.

I haven't looked at the Billboard Top 200 in years but I am quite sure that there is very little on it that I would subject my ears to.

Am I to assume, from your shock, that you like Joan Baez's drivel about her exhusband's hunger strikes in jail and the Vietnam war. I always hated her writing, voice, and self indulgent mentality. Now Joni Mitchell, she is a different story. Kicked Joan's ass on her own album, "Diamonds and Rust", when they did a duet named "Di Da". Saw her when she was touring for her album "Court and Spark" from the 3rd row, she was mesmerizing. Halfway through the concert I felt like I had taken a hit of acid.

As far as my aesthetics being on par with a dog.......depends on the dog I guess. If the dog that pissed on you did so because you were singing Joan Baez songs at a Vietnam protest rally in the park, yes I do have the aesthetics of that dog. :laugh:

sitarro said:
I haven't looked at the Billboard Top 200 in years but I am quite sure that there is very little on it that I would subject my ears to.

Am I to assume, from your shock, that you like Joan Baez's drivel about her exhusband's hunger strikes in jail and the Vietnam war. I always hated her writing, voice, and self indulgent mentality. Now Joni Mitchell, she is a different story. Kicked Joan's ass on her own album, "Diamonds and Rust", when they did a duet named "Di Da". Saw her when she was touring for her album "Court and Spark" from the 3rd row, she was mesmerizing. Halfway through the concert I felt like I had taken a hit of acid.

As far as my aesthetics being on par with a dog.......depends on the dog I guess. If the dog that pissed on you did so because you were singing Joan Baez songs at a Vietnam protest rally in the park, yes I do have the aesthetics of that dog. :laugh:

Joni Mitchell = :thup:

mom4 said:

I'll never understand you dog owners...

Semper Fi said:
owning a dog is like having a kid. Their youth and, um, innocence...makes for some tough times while teaching them proper behavior. And you have to repeat yourself A LOT! But once they are trained, and good behavior is reinforced, it's a lot easier, like in Mom4's post, where the dog now runs free in the yard w/no problems, whereas he used to dig under the fence.

The basic needs are pretty similar to having a child, and both are a lot of work. But the rewards that you get back are worth it.

Semper Fi said:

If you don't understand dog owners you really wouldn't get falconers. A falconer doesn't own his bird, he serves it. The rules are numerous. Apprentice work for 2 years, capture your own bird(red tail or kestrel), accomidations and equipment must be inspected by a Wildlife and Fisheries official, a lengthy test, license and permits for hunting(must hunt with the bird), weighing of the bird twice a day, records, and training.

Not a city dweller's endeavor.

fuzzykitten99 said:
owning a dog is like having a kid.

That's what one of my friends told me, but I disagree. My friend's dog is about 10 years old, and he still cleans the dog's shit up. If any kid is still shitting wildly by the time they are ten then there's a problem. Most of the time kids dont die after 17 years, you dont need special permission to keep them in your apartment, you bring them with you on trips, they dont tackel and lick your company, and as they get older you can actually talk to them. So yeah, I guess it is a lot like having a kid. :bsflag:

sitarro said:

I'm not too crazy about either Joan or Joni.

No I wasn't playing Joan Baez, I was playing classical music. For one thing I'm not female.

Nuc said:
I'm not too crazy about either Joan or Joni.

No I wasn't playing Joan Baez, I was playing classical music. For one thing I'm not female.

I could tell from your avatar that you're not female, there's a little bump protruding from your speedo.

"Classical Gas"? :teeth:

Semper Fi said:
That's what one of my friends told me, but I disagree. My friend's dog is about 10 years old, and he still cleans the dog's shit up. If any kid is still shitting wildly by the time they are ten then there's a problem. Most of the time kids dont die after 17 years, you dont need special permission to keep them in your apartment, you bring them with you on trips, they dont tackel and lick your company, and as they get older you can actually talk to them. So yeah, I guess it is a lot like having a kid. :bsflag:
you're reading too much into this. What was meant was that in terms of their dependence on you for their care and other needs, as well as discipline, it is very similar. Not specific behaviors and life expectancy... :duh3: I would have thought that you could distinguish that.

Forum List

Back