What's the point of having pets?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Semper Fi, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Semper Fi

Semper Fi VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +130
    I dont get it. What's the advantages of having a cat or a dog?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. kurtsprincess

kurtsprincess Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +112

Too many to recount here..........but for me the primary advantage of having a dog is that they keep me company when hubby is out of town. They protect me, love me, amuse me, keep my feet warm and make me feel needed.

I'm sure that cats provide the same advantages.

Oh, and they keep the vermin out of the yard; reducing the need to use firearms and/or poisons. :cof:

3. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    they offer companionship, love, and attention without opinions, rhetoric, or conditions.

I love it when our cat Milo comes up and lays on my belly, and purrs. Ben seems to like it too, because it gets him moving. Milo is also a source of comedy because he has a kitten-like personality, even though he is an adult cat. He still chases string/dangling objects. He fights with a stuffed cat and is so funny. He hates paper towel/wrapping paper tubes, and runs when he sees one, even just laying there. I love to pick fights with him and wrestle around with him.

I have had my cat Baby since she was a kitten, as she was born one of the litters from my dad's cat. Baby has been with me through the roughest periods of my life. Sometimes I felt like it was just me and her, and that she was the only one who really did care about me. She is the one thing that has been the most constant presence in my life since my grandmother whom raised me, passed away 10 years ago today.

4. dmp

dmp Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +741
    to pet them. :)

5. no1tovote4

no1tovote4 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +616
  6. MtnBiker

MtnBiker Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +230
    I love to go hiking with my dog.

7. fuzzykitten99

fuzzykitten99 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    You'll have to check the Marauder's Map...
    Ratings:
    +199
    not my cat Baby. She's useless with that kind of thing. I can place my parakeet on her or near her and she doesn't give more than an annoyed look.

When I lived with my dad, we were cleaning the shed out one spring, and a few mice ran out of the pool cover we unfolded. They ran right past my cat who was sitting nearby, and she just looked at them, then walked away. But our dog went and chased them into the field...my dad said right out "she's useless".

Milo would probably just chase them and play with them. He's not the brightest bulb on the tree...

8. sitarro

sitarro Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,001
    With my cat Felix it is the thrill of having something very close to being a wild animal that lets me be around him. He is 20 pounds and at any time could rip me to shreds with his razor sharp claws but he doesn't. He also loves to play fetch with a wadded up receipt, he retrieves it and drops it at my feet until he gets bored then puts it in his water dish and opens it up flat. It finally ends up in his food dish.As a kitten he would attack my Afghan Hound constantly. He also killed a large rat last year that somehow got in my house.

Amos, my other cat, is the opposite. He will go to anyone to get attention and is very sweet. Everyone that comes over loves him. This last "winter"(what a joke here in Houston, it has already hit the high 80s) he has been sleeping in my waterbed, I guess he likes the warmth.

9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Dogs RULE! “Mans best Friend”, truer words were never spoken! :thup:

10. Nuc

Nuc Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    You've got to be kidding!

They bring all kinds of great things into your life.....allergies, fleas, expensive visits to the vet, scratches, air borne filth, regular old filth, noise pollution.

Living in NYC for ten years turned me against dogs and their owners permanently. Cats, like 'em but I'm allergic.

Give me something with scales and I'm OK with that.

I'd consider a dog if I lived in the country, but I don't think they belong in the city, or anywhere they don't have room to act like dogs without bothering humans.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1