What's the deal with signing an email? Or a post here?

Paulie

Diamond Member
May 19, 2007
I already know the email came from you, it said so before I clicked on it and read it.

I already know the post came from you, because your fucking name is in the header.

What's the obsession with personalizing the end of these things with your name?

It's like walking up to someone you know, saying something to them, and then saying your name before you walk away. You obviously wouldn't do that, because it's retarded and the person would think you had mental problems.

So why do it in an email or a post here? Your identity has already been well established in both of those cases.

Am I being obtuse?

LOL. I sort of wondered that, too. I also wonder why some folks who live by themselves would have monogrammed towels. Whose towel would it be in your bathroom, huh? But, I tend to over-analyze anyway. LOL.

It's done out of professional courtesy. Greetings and salutations. Old school shit.

Ok well then to keep things kosher, make sure you utter your name to the next acquaintance you speak with right before you end the conversation and part ways. :lol:

I don't get the courtesy part though. I don't feel offended if you don't remind me it's you at the end.

I get it when it's an official letter of business, or a letter to someone where the English language protocol calls for the closing line. Or if it's from someone you simply don't know.

But otherwise, it's just redundant to say the least, and downright strange.

It's done out of professional courtesy. Greetings and salutations. Old school shit.

Ok well then to keep things kosher, make sure you utter your name to the next acquaintance you speak with right before you end the conversation and part ways. :lol:

I don't get the courtesy part though. I don't feel offended if you don't remind me it's you at the end.

I get it when it's an official letter of business, or a letter to someone where the English language protocol calls for the closing line. Or if it's from someone you simply don't know.

For me, it depends. I rarely sign an informal one. But, when I'm emailing someone I've never contacted before, I do sign it. I don't know why, either. It just seems like the right thing to do. It doesn't disturb me, though.

For me, it depends. I rarely sign an informal one. But, when I'm emailing someone I've never contacted before, I do sign it. I don't know why, either. It just seems like the right thing to do. It doesn't disturb me, though.

If you've never contacted them before, then it seems as though maybe it might call for it becuase I'm assuming that means you don't know them and they don't know you? In that case, they only saw your email address when they opened it and had no way of knowing who you were.

Some of it drives me nuts too..more so in a post..

Love,
Kat

Nevermind, I googled it.

It's funny now in retrospect.

Nevermind, I googled it.

It's funny now in retrospect.
Yes....

Do they sign their shit so they can remember who they are, as Shirley claimed Denny did?:lol:

Denny's explanation of this habit is that people often can't believe they are actually in the room with legendary Denny Crane, so he says his name out loud to assure them that it's real. According to Shirley Schmidt, Denny says his name aloud to remember it in reference to his MCI.

Last edited:
Do they sign their shit so they can remember who they are

That's probably Mal's reason, at LEAST. He doesn't even remember the proper time to capitalize a word, so I highly doubt he even remembers his name.

I already know the email came from you, it said so before I clicked on it and read it.

I already know the post came from you, because your fucking name is in the header.

What's the obsession with personalizing the end of these things with your name?

It's like walking up to someone you know, saying something to them, and then saying your name before you walk away. You obviously wouldn't do that, because it's retarded and the person would think you had mental problems.

So why do it in an email or a post here? Your identity has already been well established in both of those cases.

Am I being obtuse?

Paulie, have you ever written a personal letter? Personal letters begin with a salutation or greeting, and end with closing. As someone else said it's oldstyle or oldschool, and some of us find it charming. Of course these are ommitted when the message is intended to the general readership as in posting at a forum board, but when a note is intended for just an individual reader, like a personal message, or a comment attached to giving new reputation to someone, what could be wrong with adding a set of initials out of politeness? Business letters follow this format, and the author of a note or letter will still sign it even though the letter-head identifies the source even down to an address.

At a Roman History Forum which has long been a favorite of mine, salutations are artfully added to posts, and not just to PMs. A new subject might be begun with Vale Amici (Latin phrase for "greetings friends"), and many posts even have the name of the of the poster added. It does no harm and adds a warm personal touch.

A-Horse, I already accounted for the personal letter in a later post in this thread.

I recognize that some things call for the personal signing.

My thread asked about emails and board posts though. Some here sign every single post they make.

I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with it, I'm just saying it's gay :lol:

A-Horse, I already accounted for the personal letter in a later post in this thread.

I recognize that some things call for the personal signing.

My thread asked about emails and board posts though. Some here sign every single post they make.

I'm not saying there's anything WRONG with it, I'm just saying it's gay :lol:
If I'm to take you seriously, what is your definition of "gay"?

LOL. I sort of wondered that, too. I also wonder why some folks who live by themselves would have monogrammed towels. Whose towel would it be in your bathroom, huh? But, I tend to over-analyze anyway. LOL.

I have monogrammed towels in my bathroom. Yep. Hilton Hotel, Sands, Mandarin Hotel....

Forum List

Back