What's an Entitlement?

shintao

Take Down ~ Tap Out
Aug 27, 2010
According to Websters,

Definition of ENTITLEMENT
1a : the state or condition of being entitled : right b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
2: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program

So an entitlement is a benefit like Social Security or Medicare, etc., and not necessarily a free benefit, but more of an insurance you pay into. Rightys always call it an entitlement, and they are right, certain people meeting certain lawful categories are entitled to these benefits.

Many of those receiving those benefits worked and paid taxes into those programs, so to say someone is not entitled to a benefit is a rightwing lie. Not only did they help fund the program, the law says they are entitled. So a welfare mother is just as much entitled to her check as the senior on Social security or the injured worker on disability.

So ya yank all the programs... and the "entitlements" disappear..

works for me.

works for me.

Really? And you are all for seeing your fellow Americans like this?

952716_f520.jpg

You would really cut people off?

works for me.

952716_f520.jpg

Yep. There is a little something called personal responsibility for your own life.

An entitlement is something that is offered....I would not eliminate them all together. More like cutting the funding to them in half and severely pruning off the dead weight of freeloaders.

works for me.

952716_f520.jpg

Yep. There is a little something called personal responsibility for your own life.

An entitlement is something that is offered....I would not eliminate them all together. More like cutting the funding to them in half and severely pruning off the dead weight of freeloaders.

So you got your dead weight freeloading public education entitlement, and now want to deny others?

So a welfare mother is just as much entitled to her check as the senior on Social security or the injured worker on disability.

It depends on what is meant by ‘welfare,’ TANF, for example, is not technically an entitlement. It can be argued, however, that one is entitled to TANF because she paid taxes during times of employment.

Also, in Weston v. Hammons (1999), a Colorado court held that TANF recipients have due process rights with regard to benefit termination.

But your fundamental premise is correct: ‘welfare’ and ‘entitlements’ are diverse programs, all authorized by different laws and policies with many different funding sources, eligibility requirements, and payment amounts.

It’s a display of ignorance to lump ‘welfare’ and ‘entitlements’ into a single category, as it is to advocate their elimination.

works for me.

Needless to say, per Weston, that’s a non-starter.
There is a difference between charity and entitlements. Few know the difference.

Entitlements and public assistance are subject to statutory determination; all persons are allowed to apply and if eligibility criteria are met, receive benefits. And as noted, termination of benefits are subject to due process. Those currently eligible for on-going benefits simply can’t be ‘cut off.’

Fortunately public policy and the law have acknowledged the need to ensure vulnerable members of society realize a basic level of shelter and nutrition, children in particular. As with other laws, citizens have a right to equal access to these programs and are entitled to due process pursuant to any changes in, or termination of, benefits.

According to Websters,

Definition of ENTITLEMENT
1a : the state or condition of being entitled : right b : a right to benefits specified especially by law or contract
2: a government program providing benefits to members of a specified group; also : funds supporting or distributed by such a program

So an entitlement is a benefit like Social Security or Medicare, etc., and not necessarily a free benefit, but more of an insurance you pay into. Rightys always call it an entitlement, and they are right, certain people meeting certain lawful categories are entitled to these benefits.

Many of those receiving those benefits worked and paid taxes into those programs, so to say someone is not entitled to a benefit is a rightwing lie. Not only did they help fund the program, the law says they are entitled. So a welfare mother is just as much entitled to her check as the senior on Social security or the injured worker on disability.

I think you are going to have to go further back in time. Original land titles were granted by English Kings to their subjects. For what ever reason I suppose.
To be entitled is to be granted a gift from the King. (Not Elvis)

952716_f520.jpg

So you got your dead weight freeloading public education entitlement, and now want to deny others?

You assume much.

Sorry to disappoint you, i did not freeload off of anyone. I rather enjoy paying my own way in life.

However since you bring up freeloading students... prof citizenship to enjoy our education system would go far to fix that problem. Not a citizen... sorry...full price, no financial aid and BOTTOM of the list of who gets accepted into school.

You assume much.

Sorry to disappoint you, i did not freeload off of anyone. I rather enjoy paying my own way in life.

However since you bring up freeloading students... prof citizenship to enjoy our education system would go far to fix that problem. Not a citizen... sorry...full price, no financial aid and BOTTOM of the list of who gets accepted into school.

Oh, you are a foreigner huh, and didn't even go to grade schools in America? Hmm, I assume also you are not an American??

You assume much.

Oh, you are a foreigner huh, and didn't even go to grade schools in America? Hmm, I assume also you are not an American??

No i am a citizen..born and raised here by citizens. But since you mention it... good call ....oust all the illegals out of grade school and anchor babies... great way to help fix the grade school problem.

I was speaking of college.

Shintao is full of shittao.

"An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation "

When you're talking about government programs, entitlements are money given to certain groups as a result of LEGISLATION requiring it to be given.

It's that simple. The righties are just better read and more knowledgeable about the terminology than you are, shitty. People who are NOT entitled to certain funds are people who are not identified in particular legislation as those having a right to the $$.

Last edited:
You assume much.

No i am a citizen..born and raised here by citizens. But since you mention it... good call ....oust all the illegals out of grade school and anchor babies... great way to help fix the grade school problem.

Hmm, I was speaking of grade school. So you did use the grade school entitlement didn't you, and were trying desperately to dodge it.

Shintao is full of shittao.
And AbbaDabba is a child molester.
"An entitlement is a guarantee of access to benefits based on established rights or by legislation "

When you're talking about government programs, entitlements are money given to certain groups as a result of LEGISLATION requiring it to be given.
Entitlement is anything you benefit from dummy.

It's that simple. The righties are just better read and more knowledgeable about the terminology than you are, shitty. People who are NOT entitled to certain funds are people who are not identified in particular legislation as those having a right to the $$.

You don't know shit, so I assume you are a righty.

When you're talking about entitlements, they have a specific meaning as they apply to government money.

Your imagined superiority over righties based upon your understanding of entitlements has just taken a severe hit. But given your handicap, I doubt if you will notice or learn from it.

Hmm, I was speaking of grade school. So you did use the grade school entitlement didn't you, and were trying desperately to dodge it.

Sure i did... so does every child in this country who's parents want to avail them of that entitlement.. In contrast to welfare entitlements... not everyone benefits from it.

Should illegal children be ENTITLED to the same thing as citizens? No i don't think so.

So lets go on since you like grade school and entitlements. ...its an entitlement to an education.... where does it say anything about football?

Do i have a problem cutting education... not at all. Cut out the waste (and unions) and it should work just fine.

There's a difference between having a "right" to something and being "entitled" to something. A right is not given to you, is it yours by birthright and is definitely not provided by the gov't. An entitlement is something that is given to you by the gov't, but NOT by virtue of being alive.

Forum List

Back