What's An Acceptable Number Of Innocent People Being Executed?

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

State by State Database | Death Penalty Information Center

DA who convicted man freed from death row:

NCADP Affiliate: Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty

good post, I agree it is problematic. and as much as I agree on one hand, if even one occurs thats too much and since due to the finality of the sentence, it can never be reversed, my visceral reaction is; 1.6% is not prohibitive, god help me.

The number of acceptable executions of an innocent person should be directly proportional to your willingness to stand in that person's shoes...

well, unfortunately you can make that argument for just about any punishment be it prison or unpleasant activity etc...

just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of texas.

From what i've seen there have been 12 people released from death row in texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now assuming that every one of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

So what say you? Is more than 1 out of 100 "mistakes" an acceptable number? Would that be considered "collateral damage"?

state by state database | death penalty information center

da who convicted man freed from death row:

ncadp affiliate: Texas coalition to abolish the death penalty

what the fuck is the focus on texas for?

Number of Executions by State Since 1976

State / Total Executions
texas 474
virginia 109
oklahoma 96
florida 69
missouri 68
alabama 53
georgia 51
ohio 45
north carolina 43
south carolina 43
louisiana 28
arizona 28
arkansas 27
indiana 20
delaware 15
mississippi 15
california 13
illinois 12
nevada 12
utah 7
tennessee 6
maryland 5
washington 5
nebraska 3
montana 3
pennsylvania 3
u. S. Federal government 3
kentucky 3
oregon 2
colorado 1
connecticut 1
idaho 1
new mexico 1
south dakota 1
wyoming 1

just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of texas.

From what i've seen there have been 12 people released from death row in texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now assuming that every one of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

state by state database | death penalty information center

da who convicted man freed from death row:

ncadp affiliate: Texas coalition to abolish the death penalty

what the fuck is the focus on texas for?

number of executions by state since 1976

state / total executions
texas 474
virginia 109
oklahoma 96
florida 69
missouri 68
alabama 53
georgia 51
ohio 45
north carolina 43
south carolina 43
louisiana 28
arizona 28
arkansas 27
indiana 20
delaware 15
mississippi 15
california 13
illinois 12
nevada 12
utah 7
tennessee 6
maryland 5
washington 5
nebraska 3
montana 3
pennsylvania 3
u. S. Federal government 3
kentucky 3
oregon 2
colorado 1
connecticut 1
idaho 1
new mexico 1
south dakota 1
wyoming 1

texas wins!!!!!!

Let's just put all the BS to rest, shall we?

Rick Perry had an innocent man executed, and should be made to answer

"...Not only did Governor Perry deny Willingham’s appeal for clemency even though an expert arson investigator had rebutted all the solid evidence in the case, Perry fired investigators who were about to provide Willingham’s innocence."
Perry: Willingham

Daily Kos: Rick Perry had an innocent man executed, and should be made to answer

Bottom line: Essentially we've got a re-tread of the Shrub with an ability to actually give a coherent speech...Jeezus, do we have to go through this again?

Just wondered what an acceptable number would be for "executing innocent people by mistake" before reviewing the death penalty? What brings this up is the proud record of Texas.

From what I've seen there have been 12 people released from Death Row in Texas. There has also been 755 executed. Now ASSUMING that EVERY ONE of the executed were, in fact, guilty as charged (highly unlikely) that would bring the average to about 1.6% faulty conviction rate.

You guys haven't found that person yet.

I think the problem with the "you might execute an innocent person by mistake" argument is addressing the issues of flaws in the system. I think sending an innocent person away for the rest of his life in a cell block with a bunch of animals is worse than death row. Who'd want to live like that?

I guess the reason I don't lose a lot of sleep over the issue is that the kinds of people who get "wrongly convicted" usually did a bunch of bad stuff that they were never caught doing. Cops are out there busting Marvin Milqutoast. They are busting the local dirtbag with a long criminal record because they figured "he looked good for it."

I do think we need to fund public defenders better, and put more emphasis on finding the truth than running up a conviction rate. Cops who frame suspects and prosecutors who commit misconduct to win should be thrown out of their jobs.

But the thing is, we need a death penalty to send a message that SOME crimes are completely unacceptable to a civil society. Throwing Charles Manson in prison until he's a senior citizen doesn't cut it.

I think the problem with the "you might execute an innocent person by mistake" argument is addressing the issues of flaws in the system. I think sending an innocent person away for the rest of his life in a cell block with a bunch of animals is worse than death row. Who'd want to live like that?

I guess the reason I don't lose a lot of sleep over the issue is that the kinds of people who get "wrongly convicted" usually did a bunch of bad stuff that they were never caught doing. Cops are out there busting Marvin Milqutoast. They are busting the local dirtbag with a long criminal record because they figured "he looked good for it."

I do think we need to fund public defenders better, and put more emphasis on finding the truth than running up a conviction rate. Cops who frame suspects and prosecutors who commit misconduct to win should be thrown out of their jobs.

But the thing is, we need a death penalty to send a message that SOME crimes are completely unacceptable to a civil society. Throwing Charles Manson in prison until he's a senior citizen doesn't cut it.

You said - spending your life in prison is worse than death, then said it is better to kill the bad guys than keep them in prison for life, to teach them and others a lesson?
So are you actually being too soft by advocating the death penalty?
"Death is too good for them"

You said - spending your life in prison is worse than death, then said it is better to kill the bad guys than keep them in prison for life, to teach them and others a lesson?
So are you actually being too soft by advocating the death penalty?
"Death is too good for them"

Not exactly what I said. I think it would be worse for an INNOCENT person. For a Charlie Manson, obviously not. You're just returning it to it's natural element.

Richard Speck, notorious mass murderer here in Chicago. Killed 8 nurses, got the death penalty, but the SCOTUS overturned all the death sentences and commuted them to life, allowing Speck and Manson and his sort the right to go to parole hearings and drag the families through it all one more time.

He died in prison after having a heart attack. A video latter surfaced showing a man-boobed Spec having sex with his cellmate, smoking pot and having a good old time. On the tape, he cops to the murders "They were there!" and said if people knew what a good time he was having, they'd let him out.

No one has been executed by mistake. Ever. Every single one of them was guilty of something and it was their time to die.
That's an interesting phrase, guilty of something. So is it ok to convict a person of a crime they didn't do because they committed other crimes and got away with it?

No one has been executed by mistake. Ever. Every single one of them was guilty of something and it was their time to die.
That's an interesting phrase, guilty of something. So is it ok to convict a person of a crime they didn't do because they committed other crimes and got away with it?

Can there be ANY doubt that ALL forms of totalitarianism and oppressive government comes from the right?

I"D saaayyyy uuuuummmmm 5 no!!! 4 out of a hundred !!:eusa_angel:

What do you mean, "We haven't found that person yet"? There have been 17 people EXONERATED by DNA. Many more were AQUITTED at re-trial.

Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row | Death Penalty Information Center

As for, "I guess the reason I don't lose a lot of sleep over the issue is that the kinds of people who get "wrongly convicted" usually did a bunch of bad stuff that they were never caught doing." That is just plain wrong no matter how you slice it.

Forum List

Back