What your online avatar says about you

pillars

Diamond Member
Apr 18, 2014
UNC
Your Online Avatar May Reveal More About You Than You d Think Shots - Health News NPR

Your digital avatar gives away more hints about your personality than you might think, according to a studypublished Friday in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. And that's true even if you craft your avatar to look completely different from you.

"Despite avatars being whatever an individual wants them to be ... that person's personality can come through and be communicated accurately to others," Katrina Fong, a Ph.D. student in psychology at York University and lead author of the study, tells Shots. "Who we are in real life does to some extent drive our choices in deciding how to represent ourselves online."

Very interesting!

I'm not sure what to make of all this. I'll just keep an eye on it for a while before making a final judgment. :cool:

Is it weird that I prefer scenery? I love the pic in my avatar. It just looks so tranquil.

I used to use James Bond (Daniel Craig) on another site but I wanted people to take me more seriously, so I picked someone more rational and intellectual.

I do remember a guy who used Spock on another site and the nerd always tried to stay in character acting like he was really Spock.

Your Online Avatar May Reveal More About You Than You d Think Shots - Health News NPR

Your digital avatar gives away more hints about your personality than you might think, according to a studypublished Friday in the Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin. And that's true even if you craft your avatar to look completely different from you.

"Despite avatars being whatever an individual wants them to be ... that person's personality can come through and be communicated accurately to others," Katrina Fong, a Ph.D. student in psychology at York University and lead author of the study, tells Shots. "Who we are in real life does to some extent drive our choices in deciding how to represent ourselves online."

Very interesting!
Is this her full name, Katrina Fong, Ph.D.? I could swear I remembered to be Katrina Fongula

Lemme see one more time… hmmm…. … Where the fuck are my eye glasses???? Find them… no doubt, that's me.. without eye glasses of course… in case you wondered about them...

Forum List

Back