What would you pick from this menu from 1899?

This thread reminds me of Walter Staib on a Taste of History. That show would just suck me in anytime it was on.

I've never eaten a turtle or a frog in my life, but do love the flavor of duck.
Not a damn thing. Im not trusting their food handling protocols, and the lack of refrigeration during that time period is even more concerning. :laugh:
Typhoid Mary was busy making people sick during this time period, being an asymptomatic carrier of typhoid. You can figure out how she passed this disease on being a cook. :puke:

I’m surprised a restaurant back then could have such an extensive menu without a freezer or refrigerator

Did they have a lot of blocks of ice? Did restaurants butcher animals on site back then? Seems like that would make for a long wait time.

I’m surprised a restaurant back then could have such an extensive menu without a freezer or refrigerator

Did they have a lot of blocks of ice? Did restaurants butcher animals on site back then? Seems like that would make for a long wait time.
Mechanical refrigeration was available and in demand by then, mostly in the form of ice making....Harvested natural ice was in decline due to it being harvested in increasingly polluted waters.....Oddly enough it was the beer producers and meat packers that got the ball rolling in a big way as far as the development of mechanical refrigeration goes.

Clipped_image_20231127_131806_png-3042086.JPG

I'll have a order of hors and the prime rib. ;)

Odd thing with the Canvasback duck.....They were so good they damn near ended duck hunting and created the entire migratory waterfowl act all by themselves.

Even today with Canvasback ducks you are extremely limited in how many you can take.
/----/ I enjoy trying different foods. So, I'd try everything on that menu at least once. Of course, I've already eaten many of these things, but not prepared the way they were in 1899.

Forum List

Back