What would you do if you ever became homeless?

No mooses at the beaches, lol. I'd like to stick to this neck of the woods if I could. I know the area.

Tipsy...my family was wealthy so as a kid, I had whatever I wanted. But I ran off at 16 due to Ma. So from 16 years up, I was on my own. I slept in my car when I finally got one, stayed with friends, was in a commune, hooked up with bikers, was a cook on a tuna boat for awhile, got married, divorced, got married again...did everything I could to keep from havin to go "home". Home was hell. And it helped that Ma paid me to stay away. If I was absolutely broke, I would just call her (collect of course), tell her I had to come home and she would ask how much I needed. She would western union me 500 bucks, then the next month, if I ran out of money, she would send me more. Once, she told me she would give me 10k if I moved to Oregon. So I took the money and rented a house on Oregon Street in Bakersfield Ca. :lol:
If Dad were still alive, things probably would have been better for me. He wanted me to have piano lessons, work in a bank, go to college, etc. But..alas...he died and left everything to Ma, "knowing she would take care of his two girls". Um. No she didn't. She cut me off completely and only gave me money to stay gone. Which suited me fine.

Mr Gracie grew up extremely poor. They, too, ate out of garbage cans, did chores for strangers in exchange for a meal, his dad doing odd jobs, mom taking care of the 9 kids they dragged around from state to state. Anything to stay out of the rez, I guess.

So, I have seen the golden side of having money...and the sick shady side of being very poor. Right now, we are comfortable and ok with it. But, we do not own this house. So if the owner ever dies, his family will either continue to rent it to us, or want it back. When that happens...well..we will cross that bridge when we get to it. Thankfully, we have some savings tucked away just for that purpose, but I'd still rather sleep in my van. I LOVE my van. So ....bohemian. So free! I'm glad I don't own a home. Seems like a pain in the ass to me. Insurance, mortgage, mainenance, etc. No thanks.

I lived a good .....and hard life. Both proverbial sides of the proverbial coin. To be honest...I could die tonight and it would not phase me one bit. Been there, done that. The supposed golden years were a bunch of bullshit, lol. All ya do is ache and make sure ya don't fall down and break a hip. And expenses just to live? Oy.
Like I told my surgeon when he was getting prepped to remove my breast "it has seen a lot of action and that's good nuff". Plus, I still have one left, so...no biggie. Actually, I wanted him to take the other one off too but he refused. I would love to walk the beach with the dogs, shirtless. :rofl:

Plan A is to hunt for a small..and I mean SMALL apt or trailer or inlaw house or cabin we could afford on our SS. If Plan A doesn't happen, Plan B is to live in my van. Did it when I was a hippie, can do it again. Just park near motels so it looks like your vehicle is a guest's vehicle. Can also use their wifi if it is near an internet cafe. Showers can be done at the beach where showers are set up for surfers and whatnot. Just park the car in different locations. If wanting to try other towns...just head up or down the coast.
Plan C is contact with friends and see if they have a hole we can snuggle up in for a small rent fee. We don't like being beholden, so we would pay our way as long as it is not a horrid amount. No family for us. Well, there is, but we want nothing to do with them, nor they us. One set is Jehovah Witness, the other is Baptist and both sets are insane.

Mr Gracie has a truck. I have the van. Circle the wagons, so to speak!
If you receive ss you're eligible for subsidized housing, it's just a matter of surviving till you come up the list.
Ever see subsidized housing? I'll pass. My van is nicer than those places. And all their rules.
I have seen it, and for the elderly and disabled, at least in the towns I've been in, it's quite decent. Better than the overpass.

The van is fine as long as it runs. But heat is an issue if you live anywhere where it gets cold.

The ones here are nice. Friend of mine that is another antique dealer was on the list and finally got called. But he said it was very small, which he could live with but the rules? Oy! And yes, he is jewish and said OY! He said he declined it. He is in a small mobile home that is comfy, rent is cheap enough but not as cheap as the housing offered him, but he could survive the difference. Tiny doesn't bother me either. But rules that are ridiculous? Nah.
I wanna be a gypsy. Park at the beach all day, sleep by a motel. When we get tired of that, then we will go to one of the other plans, lol.

The van is fine as long as it runs. But heat is an issue if you live anywhere where it gets cold.
I got enough stashed to keep the van in good condition. Both vehicles are paid for free and clear. We have no bills at all. Except rent and utilities. And where I live....it is usually 60 degrees year round. Except this year. Its been in the 80s since january!

ahh you have hit on one of my terrors....being homeless....i have a modest home that is paid for....on a bit of land....that is paid for......i keep insurance on the house...i have made all my plans to never be homeless but i also realize life will turn you upside down .....my son would help me...

Probably what I did when I ran away from home in 1965.Hooked up with a carnival (sold some blood in Memphis, enough to make it a couple week in a flophouse).

Worked the carny for a year feeding the giant turtle, setting up tents, assembling the roller coaster AND testing it with the FAT riding it first.Ended up in Dallas Texas about a year later, had a dispute with management while setting up for the Texas state fair in Dallas.

To shorten this story a bit, it ended up with management calling the cops after some tents mysteriously collapsed.Two days later I joined the Marine Corps, a few steps ahead said cops--in time to make the tale end of Operation Hastings.

This can happen to anyone. If this ever happen you can find me in Los Angeles, Miami and San Diego.
My parents started these charities when I was 20 years old. When they passed away I made a promised that I will continue this dedication of helping people. My son is now my CEO and will take my place when I'm gone. Last 8 years I started helping wounded veterans and those with PTSD also include some housing.
I have total of 8 homeless shelters 3 in Miami, 4 in San Diego and 1 in Los Angeles. I can only afford one private veteran center located in Miami. You are all welcome to visit these places and if anyone is interested just send me an email.

So it has come to this?
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/14/us/live-in-boxes-in-oakland-redefine-housing-squeeze.html?WT.mc_id=2015-OCTOBER-AOL-REALESTATE_ADRISK-1001-1031&WT.mc_ev=click&ad-keywords=AUDDEVRISK&module=CloseSlideshow&region=SlideShowTopBar&version=SlideCard-4&action=click&contentCollection=U.S.&pgtype=imageslideshow&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl12|sec1_lnk2&pLid=70268158

For "only" 600 per month, you can live in a cage with walls! Lucky you! Problem is....most cities will tell you to move them. If yer homeless, you don't have a truck to haul it to another place.

Now, if people want to help other people in having a roof, why charge that much for rent??? Hell, I rent my rooms out for 450 per month. Utilities are anywhere between 60 and 100 per month depending on the season. So, they are still paying LESS than 600 per month.

I don't know why empty army barracks on closed down military bases couldn't be used, for like 100 per month per person per barrack, if even that. One community hall for food and everyone takes turns cooking, cleaning, etc.

(And yes, my fear is homelessness too, Bones). But at least I have my van. As long as I can keep it running.

Homeless people won't pay 100 a month.
Why wouldn't they? And if they CAN'T, and are semi able to work, they could pay off their rent in return for community service of the place (base/tinyhouse community) they are staying in.

Go to family? Live under an overpass? Find a campground with other homeless people?

It can happen. To anyone. At any given time. Lose the job or get really sick and can no longer work, can't make the house payments, etc.

Do you have a plan? Or a plan A vs plan B if plan A doesn't work out?

I have a plan A, B and C.

REMINDER...this is the lounge. No trolling.

With all due respect and seriousness, I would wander away and never be seen again.

Go to family? Live under an overpass? Find a campground with other homeless people?

It can happen. To anyone. At any given time. Lose the job or get really sick and can no longer work, can't make the house payments, etc.

Do you have a plan? Or a plan A vs plan B if plan A doesn't work out?

I have a plan A, B and C.

REMINDER...this is the lounge. No trolling.

With all due respect and seriousness, I would wander away and never be seen again.
Which is what many do.

Homeless people won't pay 100 a month.
Why wouldn't they? And if they CAN'T, and are semi able to work, they could pay off their rent in return for community service of the place (base/tinyhouse community) they are staying in.
Gracie, most of the homeless are very low functioning. The majority are not people who can manage a dwelling let alone pay for it.

I wonder what the statistics are of homeless folks being low functioning/mentally unstable/addicts/physically disabled/unable to work vs homeless folks who just lost everything due to the economy and the ATROCIOUS rents landowners want.

SF rent is as bad as NY rent. It's ridiculous in todays economy.

Anyway...low functioning can still wash dishes, sweep floors serve food. Fast food companies hire them for such things.
If a closed military base was used for the homeless, it COULD help many and fill the emptied coffers as well. Not by much, but something is better than nothing.

Forum List

Back