What will be the next US state?

Most likely candidates according to moi:

1. Puerto Rico
2. Southern California
3. Southern Florida
4. New York City

The latter three have to do politics (the north/south divide in those respective states) and the first one has to do with identity.

Are there any other candidates?

The last three are violations of the Constitution.

seriously? Care to point me where so I don't have to go looking for it? (yes i am lazy)

Not going to happen. No state is going to be divided and Porto Rico does not want to become state, there are far too many benefits of not being one.

There's also the whole Texas divisionism thing. Split it: North, South, East, West, Central. But that's never going to happen. Could be a good idea though.

I think it'd be cool if every state was the size of, like, Rhode Island. It'd be adorable. XD

All that would do is add far more bureaucracy to an already bloated system. We do not need that many more state legislators, governors ect..

1. Puerto Rico
2. Southern California
3. Southern Florida
4. New York City

The latter three have to do politics (the north/south divide in those respective states) and the first one has to do with identity.

Actually West Virginia succeeded from Virginia during the War between the States and since the US never recognized the Confederate states as being anything other than US states it set precedent that a part of a state could succeed and be accepted as another state.

And Texas, in the joint resolution for annexing Texas, specified that it had the option to breakup into up to 4 different states if it chooses to do so.
...Third -- New States of convenient size not exceeding four in number, in addition to said State of Texas and having sufficient population, may, hereafter by the consent of said State, be formed out of the territory thereof, which shall be entitled to admission under the provisions of the Federal Constitution; and such states as may be formed out of the territory lying south of thirty-six degrees thirty minutes north latitude, commonly known as the Missouri Compromise Line, shall be admitted into the Union, with or without slavery, as the people of each State, asking admission shall desire; and in such State or States as shall be formed out of said territory, north of said Missouri Compromise Line, slavery, or involuntary servitude (except for crime) shall be prohibited.
https://www.tsl.state.tx.us/ref/abouttx/annexation/march1845.html

I support a big state where all liberals can go experiment all they want........do all the fantasy social engineering to their hearts content. Leave the rest of the regular Americans alone!!

1. Puerto Rico
2. Southern California
3. Southern Florida
4. New York City

Curious; the District of Columbia; would they eventually qualify for statehood? How would that effect the Constitution?

Forum List

Back