What way of thinking does the Drug War violate the most, conservatism or liberalism?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Dr.Drock, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    I'm not sure how a true conservative would support a government big enough to control what plants someone grows in their yard.

I'm not sure how a true liberal would support the idea of removing a personal liberty like someone smoking in the privacy of their own home.

So I'm having trouble which idealogy the Drug War lines up with, besides facism, can someone help me?

2. OODA_Loop

OODA_Loop Account Terminated

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +523
    You need as negative consequence to irresponsible use as there is for alchol in order for legalization of MJ to work.

The solubility of THC is such that there is no way to quantitatively define blood content to gauge intoxication at a given, immediate moment.

3. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    There's no law against drinking myself to death in the privacy of my own home.

Yes I agree driving while intoxicated should be penalized, but doing most any other crime under the influence should bring the same result as doing it completely sober imho.

4. The Infidel

The Infidel EVIL CONSERVATIVE

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,173

This is weak... All they need to do is a field sobriety test.

There is no way anyone could ever justify weed being a class 1 drug.... this is a way for the state to control us.

I as a conservative say, leave me the fuck alone! If I want to smoke myself silly.... its none of your damn business! Besides, I have never once heard of anyone dying from a weed overdose :cuckoo:

The drug war is a joke... there are folks in the pen that should be in drug treatment and not incarcerated. We have more people in prison per capita than any other nation. Most are for stupid drug offenses.

So no... I as a conservative hate our drug laws.

5. BlindBoo

BlindBoo Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,394
    The war on Americans who use non-aprovoved recreational substances is unconstitutional. You are right, it is a fascist policy that all sides of the political spectrum (Media, Congress, President, Judicial) supports whole-heartedly.

6. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    It depends on how you want to define conservative. The wookie suiters are not conservatives. THey are narco-libertarians, which makes them second cousins to Bolsheviks by way of anarchists.
    True conservatives allow for gov't to legislate for societal good. There is no controlling rule here, nothing you can put on a bumper sticker. So most posters here won't get it. But restraint for the public good consistent with individual liberties, with a bias towards those liberties.

7. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    Say this out loud;

"I want government to control what plants people grow and what they do in the privacy of their own homes, affecting not another soul on the planet."

Then after you hear yourself say that, tell me how that goes along with conservative virtues.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2011
  8. GeoLaureate8

GeoLaureate8 Nobody

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92
    The public good? So if cursing is against the public good, we should just throw them in jail for 5 years? If Slayer music is against the public good, we should ban their CDs and concerts and arrest anyone who listens to them even in the privacy of their own homes? If skimpy or revealing clothing is bad for the public good, we should imprison them for life?

How far are you willing to go to enforce what you believe is a public good? Your political views are global dictatorial totalitarian fascism.

9. The Rabbi

The Rabbi Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +18,215
    Like I said, it can't be put on a bumper sticker so most people here won't get it.

10. Dr.Drock

Dr.Drock Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +940
    The bumper sticker mindset is "Drugs are baaaad, mmmmkay."

Which pretty much sums up your position.