What was the original 1994 "Contract with America"?

Little-Acorn

Gold Member
Jun 20, 2006
San Diego, CA
I just heard on the news that Trump would propose a "Contract with America", ten points he wanted to do in his first 100 days as President. The speech is supposed to start soon.

Did Trump call it a "Contract with America", or did the press just christen it that way, due to its being ten points?

The original "Contract with America" was proposed in 1994 by minority Republicans in the House. They pointed out ten bills that Republicans had submitted, which the majority Democrats had immediately bottled up in committee, the equivalent of a death sentence. Being the majority at the time, Democrats could prevent the bills from ever being discussed or brought to the floor for a vote.

Republicans simply said that, if you vote us into the majority in the House, we will dig those ten bills out of the committee, bring them to the floor for discussion, and then vote on each one. They also named eight reforms.

That was the Contract with America. They pointed out they could never guarantee the bills would pass, only that they would receive a vote. And they certainly couldn't predict what the Senate would do, whether they would pass any of them or even vote on them. And of course, they couldn't predict what then-President Bill Clinton would sign them into law. It was quite likely he wouldn't.

Once they promised to vote on the bills in the House, the American people grabbed it with both hands. They were so fed up with the intransigence and lies of the Democrats, that they kicked them out of majorities, not only in the House but in the Senate, and even in the majority of state governorships and many state legislatures.

The Republicans kept their word, and brought all ten bills to the floor of the House for discussion, and voted on them with the Democrats now in the minority. All ten passed, going far beyond the original promise. And the Senate took up all ten, and voted on them too, passing most. And Bill Clinton (after a huge barrage of letters, call, and telegrams from normal Americans) even signed many of them into law.

The original Contract with America was a House-only initiative, having nothing to do with the President or Senate. Now Trump's proposal, if he makes it as I've heard he will do in a few minutes in his coming speech, is apparently a President-only proposal, having little do with the House or Senate.

Of course, if elected Trump will have the power of the Bully Pulpit - the ability to make a nationwide speech describing what he wanted to do, directly to the American public bypassing a hostile press, and asking them to contact their House and Senate members and telling them to vote for his proposal. This is a power that former President Reagan used to great effect to ram his tax cuts and military buildup through a reluctant House and bare-majority Senate in the early 1980s. Many years of increasing prosperity, for rich and poor alike, followed as trickle-down worked.

Lots of differences between Trump's ten points and the minority Republicans' in the early 80s. But they have some things in common: Americans are once again fed up with Democrat lies, intransigence, as well as their leftward stampede - a stampede that even some RINO Republicans have joined too.

Last edited:
And once again, it's just another bullshit slogan what won't alter anything for the american people. but oh it rolls off the tongue so nicely and kisses the tympanic memenbrane just so.

oh-----can you expound on some of the DETAILS of the
CONTRACT WITH AMERICA bills?

And once again, it's just another bullshit slogan what won't alter anything for the american people. but oh it rolls off the tongue so nicely and kisses the tympanic memenbrane just so.

their ain't no "tympanic memenbrane"

TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything the OP said. But I hate it anyway, so I'll call it names and attack the messenger instead, even though the speech hasn't even been given yet.

Liberal responses to things normal people want, never change. :rolleyes-41:

It's going to be trite meaningless bullshit as always probably 3 things about jobs and then something about "security" that's all

It's going to be trite meaningless bullshit as always probably 3 things about jobs and then something about "security" that's all
TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything the OP said. But I hate it anyway, so I'll call it names and attack it instead, even though the speech hasn't even been given yet.

TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything the OP said. But I hate it anyway, so I'll call it names and attack the messenger instead, even though the speech hasn't even been given yet.

Until you can figure out that this partisanshithead stuff is what keeps all you are upest about in place, here you shall remain, you're feeding the beast.

TRANSLATION: I can't refute anything the OP said. But I hate it anyway, so I'll call it names and attack it instead, even though the speech hasn't even been given yet.

refute what? all youve said is that once in the 90's the house tried to pass ten laws, and then some of them got passed. How did you think the government worked?

He hasn't even listed the ten things yet, and your already slobbering over it

Another Republican Contract On America.

They haven't quite killed the country yet so they're going to put out a new Contract on Uncle Sam. He's got to go.

Do conservatives ever have a new idea? Is their entire life just regurgitated vomitus from the past?

The original Contract with America was a House-only initiative, having nothing to do with the President or Senate.
So what achievements does this current GOP House have to its credit for the past two years?

[QUOTE="PurpleOwl, post: 15611598]
refute what? all youve said is that once in the 90's the house tried to pass ten laws, and then some of them got passed.[/QUOTE]
Didn't even read the OP, did we? :biggrin:

I said that in the 90s the House tried NOT to pass ten laws, Republicans said they'd change that if they were voted into a majority, and the people did vote them in. And the Republicans kept their word 100%... plus more.

The Republicans offered to legislate as the people wanted for a change. So they people voted them in, and tossed out the Democrats who were legislating AGAINST what they wanted.

That's how government works.

Another Republican Contract On America.

They haven't quite killed the country yet so they're going to put out a new Contract on Uncle Sam. He's got to go.

Do conservatives ever have a new idea? Is their entire life just regurgitated vomitus from the past?
More hysteria, namecalling, and smearing from the usual liberals, without benefit of a single fact.

refute what? all youve said is that once in the 90's the house tried to pass ten laws, and then some of them got passed.
I don't think any of them became law.

Didn't even read the OP, did we? :biggrin:

I said that in the 90s the House tried NOT to pass ten laws, Republicans said they'd change that if they were voted into a majority, and the people did vote them in. And the Republicans kept their word 100%... plus more.

The Republicans offered to legislate as the people wanted for a change. So they people voted them in, and tossed out the Democrats who were legislating AGAINST what they wanted.

That's how government works.
Is this what you're talking about? because it doesn't seem like it

Some observers cite the Contract with America as having helped secure a decisive victory for the Republicans in the 1994 elections; others dispute this role, noting its late introduction into the campaign. Whatever the role of the Contract, Republicans were elected to a majority of both houses of Congress for the first time since 1953, and some parts of the Contract were enacted. Most elements did not pass in Congress, while others were vetoed by, or substantially altered in negotiations with President Bill Clinton, who would sarcastically refer to it as the "Contract on America.

Contract with America - Wikipedia

The final outcome of the Contract with America:

Consider: Over the past three years the Republican-controlled Congress has approved discretionary spending that exceeded Bill Clinton’s requests by more than $30 billion. The party that in 1994 would abolish the Department of Education now brags in response to Clinton’s 2000 State of the Union Address that it is outspending the White House when it comes to education. My colleagues Stephen Moore and Stephen Slivinski found that the combined budgets of the 95 major programs that the Contract with America promised to eliminate have increased by 13%.

On My Mind: GOP Pussycats

Forum List

Back