What Was the Best Present You Ever Got?

PoliticalChic

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Now that the holidays are coming near. We need some great gift ideas. I like homemade, thoughtful gifts, but I'm also into neat gadgets.

One of the best presents I ever got was a poem written for my husband and me. It was a wedding present, printed on simple stationary. I still think about that gift to this day.

More recently, I received the Shun Classic 7-Inch Santoku Knife. It is perfect for almost any cutting, chopping, slicing job. Alton Brown uses this line of knives.

5282.jpg

Last edited:
Best gift ever? One mother's day when I awoke to smells of breakfast, came downstairs and found the kids had totally cleaned the entire house, minus my room. Fresh flowers everywhere and candles burning. It cost the three of them flowers, candles, and a night's sleep. Best gift ever!

Best gift ever? One mother's day when I awoke to smells of breakfast, came downstairs and found the kids had totally cleaned the entire house, minus my room. Fresh flowers everywhere and candles burning. It cost the three of them flowers, candles, and a night's sleep. Best gift ever!

That must have been wonderful and so pampering. What a nice idea. Was your husband the mastermind?

I remember one Mother's Day when my son was less than a year old. I wasn't able to spend any time for myself. My husband had breakfast prepared and had videotaped Cheaper by the Dozen (1950). I was able to watch the entire movie, uninterrupted and it was such a treat!

My husband is such a riot. He keeps threatening me that he'll be getting me an ironing board. If he ever does, I know how I'll be using it!

That must have been wonderful and so pampering. What a nice idea. Was your husband the mastermind?

I remember one Mother's Day when my son was less than a year old. I wasn't able to spend any time for myself. My husband had breakfast prepared and had videotaped Cheaper by the Dozen (1950). I was able to watch the entire movie, uninterrupted and it was such a treat!

My husband is such a riot. He keeps threatening me that he'll be getting me an ironing board. If he ever does, I know how I'll be using it!

My ex was a 'riot', but not in a funny way. :eusa_whistle: Somehow I've managed to raise 3 near perfect, ;) adults. 2 of them will graduate university this year, one in Jan., one in June. :clap2:

A plane ticket that helped me get out of being homeless in Key West, FLA back in 1980 (?).

I'd gone down there with the promise of a job, but then the cold span hit and there was no work to be had no-how.

Believe me, being down and out in Key West, when every other working stiff who'd been following the sun was ALSO down and out in Key West is not a whole not of fun.

A plane ticket that helped me get out of being homeless in Key West, FLA back in 1980 (?).

I'd gone down there with the promise of a job, but then the cold span hit and there was no work to be had no-how.

Believe me, being down and out in Key West, when every other working stiff who'd been following the sun was ALSO down and out in Key West is not a whole not of fun.

A ticket out of homelessness -- Wow!

thong panties, a mask and a whip? lol

Actually....right now my favorite present ever is when my daughter, Kati, spend $50 of her hard earned money (allowance?) at the age of 12 and bought me a Winnie the Pooh best friends sweat shirt. I was shocked she had spent so much money on me, knowing that at her age she had to save and sweat for it and put it aside in order to buy me this for Christmas. But the shirt itself said so much about how she felt about us.

The fact that she's in heaven now.....well, I don't think I have much more to say about it except maybe

Sometimes gifts end up meaning so much more.

oh, and my husband really did buy me the thong, the mask and the whip lol...I thought that was so damned funny & cute.

Actually....right now my favorite present ever is when my daughter, Kati, spend $50 of her hard earned money (allowance?) at the age of 12 and bought me a Winnie the Pooh best friends sweat shirt. I was shocked she had spent so much money on me, knowing that at her age she had to save and sweat for it and put it aside in order to buy me this for Christmas. But the shirt itself said so much about how she felt about us.

The fact that she's in heaven now.....well, I don't think I have much more to say about it except maybe

oh, and my husband really did buy me the thong, the mask and the whip lol...I thought that was so damned funny & cute.

Gigi, I'm glad you have the sweat shirt and my condolences on the loss of your daughter. I cannot imagine, but that you have a sense of humor so evident on this board, you've got my admiration.

Gigi, I'm glad you have the sweat shirt and my condolences on the loss of your daughter. I cannot imagine, but that you have a sense of humor so evident on this board, you've got my admiration.

Kathianne, thank you* Life is too short....

Gigi, that must have been the hardest thing -- to lose a child. I am sorry. You have a good attitude and you put things into perspective. I know this one lady who is a cashier at the supermarket. She is the saddest lady I know. She looks as though she is about to cry at any moment. She lost her only boy to cancer. I know she thinks about her boy everyday.

Your daughter must have had a kind heart to spend $50 or her hard earned money on a sweatshirt for you. I bet she takes after you. :eusa_angel:

When I was 9, my father was in Vietnam for Christmas. My birthday is Christmas eve. That year, my father read a story into a tape recorder about a Vietnamese princess and sent it to me along with a Vietnamese doll and a matching silk pantsuit. I think I listened to that tape until it was completely wore out. It was like having my father right there with me. I even played it for all my friends.

When I was 9, my father was in Vietnam for Christmas. My birthday is Christmas eve. That year, my father read a story into a tape recorder about a Vietnamese princess and sent it to me along with a Vietnamese doll and a matching silk pantsuit. I think I listened to that tape until it was completely wore out. It was like having my father right there with me. I even played it for all my friends.

Wow Sheila. That story brought tears to my eyes. Did you father make it back ok?

All of you ladies have great stories, I have tears in my eyes reading them.

My 13 yo daughter made me a homemade card for my birthday this last September, it said:

Mom,

Happy "29th" Birthday! I don't really have any money to buy you a present, but I hope this card is enough. You are the best mom/dad ever. I know we might not get along sometimes, but I'll try not to smart back to you anymore.
I love you!

-C

Then she made me a "coupon book" of chores and such she would do around the house....

She's my girl! :)

Wow Sheila. That story brought tears to my eyes. Did you father make it back ok?

Yes he did, that following summer. Then we moved here to Washington State where he retired from the Air Force a few years later.

He had two more careers one as an accountant and then as a professer at Western Washington University. He died about a week after 9/11. He's buried in the military cemetary in Kent and my mothers ashes are buried with him.

My older brother has the flag that draped his coffin.

My 13 yo daughter made me a homemade card for my birthday this last September, it said:

Mom,

Happy "29th" Birthday! I don't really have any money to buy you a present, but I hope this card is enough. You are the best mom/dad ever. I know we might not get along sometimes, but I'll try not to smart back to you anymore.
I love you!

-C

Then she made me a "coupon book" of chores and such she would do around the house....

EZ, that is so sweet! Can I get one of those coupon books? LOL! Boy, you were quite young when you started having kids! :eusa_angel: My kids keep asking my age and I remind them it is not polite to ask a woman her age...

EZ, that is so sweet! Can I get one of those coupon books? LOL! Boy, you were quite young when you started having kids! :eusa_angel: My kids keep asking my age and I remind them it is not polite to ask a woman her age...

I think I thought my own mother was 29 until I was in junior high, and I was the last of 6 kids~! :lol:

Age is just a number.

Some days I feel 29, other days 89! :eek:

I volunteered in my youngest son's classroom when he was in elementary school. One of the other kid asked me how old I was. I said, "How old do you think I am."

"I think you're really old, I think you're 18". :lol:

I laughed so hard. kids are really great.

Mom,

I love you!

-C

Kudos from I'm assuming one single mom to another. I have lots of those IOU's outstanding. I think they are now of the age to 'cash them in.' roflmao.

Forum List

Back