What are the best gifts that you get?

Discussion in 'Religion and Ethics' started by RodISHI, Dec 6, 2008.

1. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    I am wondering what you all believe are the best gifts that you get?

Our family is not big on the traditional gift giving. Yet my children give me gifts on a continual basis.

Every year my daughter sends me this email story to remind me how precious the gift of truly giving your heart to others means.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    Another email my daughter sent me.

God doesn't make mistakes. He puts us where we are to be. They say there are no mistakes, for everything there is a purpose. Makes you think. We'll never know where our paths will take us!

THE WRONG FUNERAL

Consumed by my loss, I didn't notice the hardness of the pew where I sat. I was at the funeral of my dearest friend-my mother. She finally had lost her long battle with cancer. The hurt was so intense; I found it hard to breathe at times. Always supportive, Mother clapped loudest at my school plays, held box of tissues while listening to my first heartbreak, comforted me at my father's death, encouraged me in college, and prayed for me my entire life.
    When mother's illness was diagnosed, my sister had a new baby and my brother had recently married his childhood sweetheart, so it fell on me, the 27-year-old middle child without entanglements, to take care of her.
    I counted it an honor. 'What now, Lord?' I asked sitting in church. My life stretched out before me as an empty abyss. My brother sat stoically with his face toward the cross while clutching his wife's hand.
    My sister sat slumped against her husband's shoulder, his arms around her as she cradled their child. All so deeply grieving, no one noticed I sat alone.
    My place had been with our mother, preparing her meals, helping her walk, taking her to the doctor, seeing to her medication, reading the Bible together. Now she was with the Lord. My work was finished, and I was alone. I heard a door open and slam shut at the back of the church. Quick footsteps hurried along the carpeted floor.
    An exasperated young man looked around briefly and then sat next to me. He folded his hands and placed them on his lap. His eyes were brimming with tears. He began to sniffle. 'I'm late,' he explained, though no explanation was necessary. After several eulogies, he leaned over and commented, 'Why do they keep calling Mary by the name of 'Margaret?'' 'Because that was her name, Margaret. Never Mary. No one called her 'Mary,'' I whispered. I wondered why this person couldn't have sat on the other side of the church. He interrupted my grieving with his tears and fidgeting. Who was this stranger anyway?
    'No, that isn't correct,' he insisted, as several people glanced over at us whispering, 'Her name is Mary, Mary Peters.' 'That isn't who this is.' 'Isn't this the Lutheran church?'
    'No, the Lutheran church is across the street.' 'Oh.' 'I believe you're at the wrong funeral, Sir.'
    The solemnness of the occasion mixed with the realization of the man's mistake bubbled up inside me and came out as laughter. I cupped my hands over my face, hoping it would be interpreted as sobs.
    The creaking pew gave me away. Sharp looks from other mourners only made the situation seem more hilarious.
    I peeked at the bewildered, misguided man seated beside me. He was laughing, too, as he glanced around, deciding it was too late for an uneventful exit. I imagined Mother laughing.
    At the final 'Amen,' we darted out a door and into the parking lot. 'I do believe we'll be the talk of the town,' he smiled. He said his name was Rick and since he had missed his aunt's funeral, asked me out for a cup of coffee.
    That afternoon began a lifelong journey for me with this man who attended the wrong funeral, but was in the right place. A year after our meeting, we were married at a country church where he was the assistant pastor.
    This time we both arrived at the same church, right on time.

In my time of sorrow, God gave me laughter. In place of loneliness, God gave me love. This past June we celebrated our twenty-second wedding anniversary. Whenever anyone asks us how we met, Rick tells them, 'Her mother and my Aunt Mary introduced us, and it's truly a match made in heaven.'

What a precious story of hope for each of us. Who would have ever thought that God would use a funeral to get two people together! God is big and he cares about us so intimately. Don't ever give up, but expect God to work in ways that will thrill your heart! Send this note of hope to those who need encouragement today to continue believing that God is working and He cares about their lives! I love my God. He is my source of existence, my Lord and Savior. He keeps me functioning each and everyday. Without Him, I would be nothing. Without him, I am nothing, but with Him I can do all things, through Christ that strengthens me. (Phil. 4:13)

Have a Blessed Day!

3. Zoom-boing

Zoom-boing Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,122
    Thank you so much for posting these stories. My throat is still achy from reading the first one.

I have always believed that things happen for a reason, even though at the time we may not be able to see it. My daughter is a freshman at college and also feels strongly about this. She recently wrote this after being 'tagged' in facebook notes. She's a terrific kid!

"I strongly believe that everything happens for a reason. I can never explain it fully to someone who doesn't get it, but I know that if something crappy happens it's because something good can come from it. People need to take the time to stop whining about their problems and look closer at their lives to see how these so called problems are really changing it. I would bet money (if i had any) that most people would realize that many of the things--good things-- they've experienced in life would not have happened without something bad happening to them first. Open your eyes."

Thanks again for sharing these stories -- I will be passing them along. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

4. tigerbob

tigerbob Increasingly jaded.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +972
    Beautiful.

Please pass on my thanks to your daughter.

5. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    You are both very welcome.

Thank you for sharing Zoom.

Will do Bob.

6. catzmeow

catzmeow BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,974
    One of my first clients was a boy who was nicknamed Casper by his gang because he was so lily white. I knew him for five years. Over the course of those five years, I learned that:

1) His father had burnt his brain out years ago with drugs.
    2) Casper had never eaten a meal in a restaurant with a fork and knife. In fact, what food he ate was mostly out of cans and he prepared it himself. His father never worked during the time that I knew him, and they survived on the father's social security payments.
    3) His mother was psychotic and had been institutionalized for most of his life.
    4) Casper had been kicked out of 3 schools for behavior issues.
    5) He'd never been to the dentist in his life. Many of his teeth were rotting out. That's why he never smiled. He must have been in nearly constant pain.
    6) He was intellectually gifted, according to one secure facility he was placed in for about a year. He could have been an engineer or something requiring high level math skills.

In 1999, he went to prison for playing a role as an accessory in a double homicide. I moved from my state then to Florida that same year. In 2003, his family called me to tell me that he'd taken my advice and graduated from high school while in prison. He told me to tell them that I was the only person who ever believed in him in his life. He was released from prison in 2005.

I haven't seen him, but I still think about him nearly every day.

In this country, there are literally millions of kids just like Casper.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  7. random3434

random3434 Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,194
    Yes there are. All it takes sometimes is that ONE person to show interest, and to show that they care.

I hope you can somehow find out what he's up to now.....

re:presents from students....that first post about the student giving his teacher a gift...I had a boy wrap up a half bottle of lotion and bubble bath, and was so excited for me to open it...I was THRILLED that he took the trouble to do that. He kept telling me to put on the lotion (no Silence of the Lambs jokes please! ) and I kept it on my desk and made sure he saw me put on the lotion everyday. He was one of those boys labeled a "trouble maker" by society, but he was the sweetest boy in my classroom. He knew how much I cared about him and believed in him.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    My son tried to palm off a heart warming story on me last Christmas, that cheap bastard.

If the little cheapskate doesn't give me foot warming wool socks this Christmas, he'll be looking for another place to sleep come Dec 26th!

9. RodISHI

RodISHI Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,047
    :eusa_angel:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2009
  10. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    Human life is a gift. Realizing it's potential is a gift. Having the capacity to give and recieve love is a gift. Being present in the moment is a gift.