What was a reason for God to sacrifice His Son?

The simple answer is it reconciled justice with mercy. Apart from the cross there is no other ladder by which we may get to heaven.458

IN BRIEF

619 "Christ died for our sins in accordance with the scriptures" (I Cor 15:3).

620 Our salvation flows from God's initiative of love for us, because "he loved us and sent his Son to be the expiation for our sins" (I Jn 4:10). "God was in Christ reconciling the world to himself" (2 Cor 5:19).

621 Jesus freely offered himself for our salvation. Beforehand, during the Last Supper, he both symbolized this offering and made it really present: "This is my body which is given for you" (Lk 22:19).

622 The redemption won by Christ consists in this, that he came "to give his life as a ransom for many" (Mt 20:28), that is, he "loved [his own] to the end" (Jn 13:1), so that they might be "ransomed from the futile ways inherited from [their] fathers" (I Pt 1:18).

623 By his loving obedience to the Father, "unto death, even death on a cross" (Phil 2:8), Jesus fulfills the atoning mission (cf. Is 53:10) of the suffering Servant, who will "make many righteous; and he shall bear their iniquities" (Is 53:11; cf. Rom 5:19).

Where is the mercy in eternal torture for the crime of not "believing in you"? I started having that argument with my Dad when I was a teenager and I have yet to hear a good explanation how you can have a loving God who doles out such unimaginable suffering.

Jesus life was a way of redemption, not a magical forgiveness of sins (like only some Protestant denominations would have everyone believe). Jesus came with a new Covenant--i.e. repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People argued, Not True!!! Only God can forgive sins! We want proof!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it isnt Jesus' death that made it possible for people to achieve forgiveness, but his death and what is more important his ressurection was a proof for people to follow his teaching. Right?

It seems to me Jesus was saying that forgiveness is not about sacrifice and offerings, it is about giving up sin and being obedient to God. It is not the offering that opens us up to God's forgiveness, it is the giving up of the sin that opens us to God's forgiveness. He also spoke of discerning God's will and following it, not simply sitting down and calculating how many dill seeds will fulfill the Law.

Yes, God desires obedience and His mercy and forgiveness are ours under those circumstances. Many of the Jews were going above and beyond, complicating what should have remained uncomplicated. As a result, the well-to-do could earn that feeling of self-righteousness whereas the poor who had way too little in those times had to choose between their tithes, their offerings, and whether to let the family go hungry and ill-clothed at times in order to keep up with the Law. What if your neighbor is hungry? Is the tithe or cereal offering more important, or should such be used to feed the hungry at one's door?
I agree with your post. But it isnt explain my question I asked in my OP. If there wasnt a need for God to sacrifice His Son, then why the mission of Jesus couldnt be laid upon an "ordinary" man with God-given power to make miracles, healings etc?
It's simple. Sin has a price. That price is death. We could not pay that price. Only God could do that. He loved us enough to pay that price. He didn't have to do it. He wanted to do it. This is why Christians love Him.

As far as I am aware, according to Christian beliefs after Adam's fall all humanity became sinful and doomed to perdition. Then Son of God was sent by Father to save mankind and give eternal live for those believing in Him.

‌Why was all this needed? Why didnt God simply send a prophet with instructions how people can save themselves? Why did God have a need to make sacrifice for himself?

It makes churches richer.
I've attended many churches. None of them were rich.

Where is the mercy in eternal torture for the crime of not "believing in you"? I started having that argument with my Dad when I was a teenager and I have yet to hear a good explanation how you can have a loving God who doles out such unimaginable suffering.
Who told you that?

As far as I am aware, according to Christian beliefs after Adam's fall all humanity became sinful and doomed to perdition. Then Son of God was sent by Father to save mankind and give eternal live for those believing in Him.

‌Why was all this needed? Why didnt God simply send a prophet with instructions how people can save themselves? Why did God have a need to make sacrifice for himself?

It makes churches richer.
I've attended many churches. None of them were rich.

Collectively in the United States of America, 68 billion dollars a year tax free.

The Catholic church owns pretty much everything in New Orleans, including land, huge blocks of real estate buldings, and even the HMO I used to work for there.

Brilliant marketing. Create guilt by having God's son die for your sins which is a totally bizarre concept but works in the context of a religion. Then create fear by depicting God as a fearsome entity who will torture you for eternity if you don't believe in him.

The Apostle Peter would answer you in this way:

2 Peter 1:16
16 For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Jesus life was a way of redemption, not a magical forgiveness of sins (like only some Protestant denominations would have everyone believe). Jesus came with a new Covenant--i.e. repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People argued, Not True!!! Only God can forgive sins! We want proof!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it isnt Jesus' death that made it possible for people to achieve forgiveness, but his death and what is more important his ressurection was a proof for people to follow his teaching. Right?

It seems to me Jesus was saying that forgiveness is not about sacrifice and offerings, it is about giving up sin and being obedient to God. It is not the offering that opens us up to God's forgiveness, it is the giving up of the sin that opens us to God's forgiveness. He also spoke of discerning God's will and following it, not simply sitting down and calculating how many dill seeds will fulfill the Law.

Yes, God desires obedience and His mercy and forgiveness are ours under those circumstances. Many of the Jews were going above and beyond, complicating what should have remained uncomplicated. As a result, the well-to-do could earn that feeling of self-righteousness whereas the poor who had way too little in those times had to choose between their tithes, their offerings, and whether to let the family go hungry and ill-clothed at times in order to keep up with the Law. What if your neighbor is hungry? Is the tithe or cereal offering more important, or should such be used to feed the hungry at one's door?
I agree with your post. But it isnt explain my question I asked in my OP. If there wasnt a need for God to sacrifice His Son, then why the mission of Jesus couldnt be laid upon an "ordinary" man with God-given power to make miracles, healings etc?
It's simple. Sin has a price. That price is death. We could not pay that price. Only God could do that. He loved us enough to pay that price. He didn't have to do it. He wanted to do it. This is why Christians love Him.
Why couldnt we pay that price? And why a price for sin is death?

Yes those are Christian beliefs. People didn’t listen to God’s prophets and they couldn’t follow instructions to save themselves. They were in sin.
Many things have changed since then? People arent in sin now?

the SANCTIFICATION of roman barbarity lent credibility to the filth of Constantine
I seem not to understand your point clearly. What filth of Constantine do you mean? Christianity as we know it today?

who is "we" ? I have no way of knowing your orientation regarding the
history of the "holy roman empire". Constantine was the first emperor
thereof-----and is, actually, the REAL founder of the Roman Catholic Church,
and its "canon law". He is also the author of that which was later, some 1700
years later ----the NUREMBURG LAWS. Without the input of Constantine----
the "inquisition" of the "holy roman empire" would not have happened. The
Inquisition was a catastrophic event for most of the world including the Americas----
something analogous to Genghis Khan for Asia
I think that almost no one has ever done to Jesus' teaching more damage than Roman Catholic Church has done.

Have you taken a look at today's evangelicals?

I've always wondered why the God of Abraham would send his son (the idea of this god having a son is worrisome enough) to be tortured and killed as a sacrifice to his own self. Unless there was another god out there who was pissed and the God of Abraham had to make some sort of sacrifice to this other god. Otherwise, the God of Abraham could merely have written a note to himself to remind him to forgive the idiots below for failing to carry out his orders.

I've always wondered why the God of Abraham would send his son (the idea of this god having a son is worrisome enough) to be tortured and killed as a sacrifice to his own self. Unless there was another god out there who was pissed and the God of Abraham had to make some sort of sacrifice to this other god. Otherwise, the God of Abraham could merely have written a note to himself to remind him to forgive the idiots below for failing to carry out his orders.

How many Gods were there?

Don't know. Nobody does. The commandments given in Hebrew scripture include "you shall have no other gods before me," which could be interpreted to mean that it is quite populated up there. Of course, those who think that they are "in the know," which is impossible, have other interpretations.

Don't know. Nobody does. The commandments given in Hebrew scripture include "you shall have no other gods before me," which could be interpreted to mean that it is quite populated up there. Of course, those who think that they are "in the know," which is impossible, have other interpretations.

The statement could imply an acknowledgment of a host of Gods up there.

Actually, the notion is rather enticing. A whole committee of them looking down on us, deciding on a whim who the losers and winners will be amongst us

the SANCTIFICATION of roman barbarity lent credibility to the filth of Constantine
I seem not to understand your point clearly. What filth of Constantine do you mean? Christianity as we know it today?

Inquisition was a catastrophic event for most of the world including the Americas----
I think that almost no one has ever done to Jesus' teaching more damage than Roman Catholic Church has done.

I think that the term 'evangelicals' may be used to a wide range of Christian groups who vary significantly from one another in their dogmas. I dont live in the US and I dont know exactly which beliefs the mentioned evangelicals adhere to. In the country I live in the people which call themselves Evangelical Christians have beliefs that resemble the most real Christianity in my opinion.

Actually, the notion is rather enticing. A whole committee of them looking down on us, deciding on a whim who the losers and winners will be amongst us
Oh Gods and Goddesses! Not another committee! Only pawns in their game.

Oh Gods and Goddesses! Not another committee! Only pawns in their game.

Some of the punishments were beyond punitive.

For example, the fate of the Medusa, for debauchery in the Temple.

I think that the term 'evangelicals' may be used to a wide range of Christian groups who vary significantly from one another in their dogmas. I dont live in the US and I dont know exactly which beliefs the mentioned evangelicals adhere to. In the country I live in the people which call themselves Evangelical Christians have beliefs that resemble the most real Christianity in my opinion.
Just watch them here on the Internet.

... Why did God have a need to make sacrifice for himself?

He did it. With or without need. And if someone speaks with Jesus or his mother Mary then I do not think they will tell them bullshit like "I need more respect" or so. What do human beings imagine about a visit of god on planet Earth? Prosperity? Glamour? Never ending celebrations? ... And what did we get? A crucified criminal who is risen from the death ... One moment ... He is risen from the death? ... Happy Easter!

Last edited:

Forum List

Back