What was a reason for God to sacrifice His Son?

I've always wondered why the God of Abraham would send his son (the idea of this god having a son is worrisome enough) to be tortured and killed as a sacrifice to his own self. Unless there was another god out there who was pissed and the God of Abraham had to make some sort of sacrifice to this other god. Otherwise, the God of Abraham could merely have written a note to himself to remind him to forgive the idiots below for failing to carry out his orders.

How many Gods were there?

Don't know. Nobody does. The commandments given in Hebrew scripture include "you shall have no other gods before me," which could be interpreted to mean that it is quite populated up there. Of course, those who think that they are "in the know," which is impossible, have other interpretations.

The statement could imply an acknowledgment of a host of Gods up there.

Actually, the notion is rather enticing. A whole committee of them looking down on us, deciding on a whim who the losers and winners will be amongst us
Oh Gods and Goddesses! Not another committee! Only pawns in their game.

Some of the punishments were beyond punitive.

For example, the fate of the Medusa, for debauchery in the Temple.

Athena seriously went overboard. She could have shown a bit of compassion. After all, Poseidon was a hunk of burnin' love, on some occasions.

I've always wondered why the God of Abraham would send his son (the idea of this god having a son is worrisome enough) to be tortured and killed as a sacrifice to his own self. Unless there was another god out there who was pissed and the God of Abraham had to make some sort of sacrifice to this other god. Otherwise, the God of Abraham could merely have written a note to himself to remind him to forgive the idiots below for failing to carry out his orders.

Don't know. Nobody does. The commandments given in Hebrew scripture include "you shall have no other gods before me," which could be interpreted to mean that it is quite populated up there. Of course, those who think that they are "in the know," which is impossible, have other interpretations.

Actually, the notion is rather enticing. A whole committee of them looking down on us, deciding on a whim who the losers and winners will be amongst us

And yet, we cannot rid ourselves of this silly notion of fairness and right and wrong.

And yet, we cannot rid ourselves of this silly notion of fairness and right and wrong.

Wonder where that came from.

Exactly. :wink:

Athena seriously went overboard. She could have shown a bit of compassion. After all, Poseidon was a hunk of burnin' love, on some occasions.

Hell hath no fury......:cool:

;)

A more prideful creature has never been created before.

;)
People can piss and moan about religion all they like but the reality is they have never lived in a world without it.

They imagine a perfect world of a path not taken.

Wouldn't it be nice if they could experience a world where it never existed?

But then again, they don't really need to imagine it. It has been tried before.

;)
People can piss and moan about religion all they like but the reality is they have never lived in a world without it.

In the meantime, we'll just have fun trying to fathom it out.

But we do have trans in these modern times.

Did they even exist in Ancient Greece days?

As far as I am aware, according to Christian beliefs after Adam's fall all humanity became sinful and doomed to perdition. Then Son of God was sent by Father to save mankind and give eternal live for those believing in Him.

‌Why was all this needed? Why didnt God simply send a prophet with instructions how people can save themselves? Why did God have a need to make sacrifice for himself?

God told Satan that he would "put enmity between you (Satan) and the woman". The woman to who he referred was Mary, who was without sin.

But we do have trans in these modern times.

Did they even exist in Ancient Greece days?
Probably.

Jesus life was a way of redemption, not a magical forgiveness of sins (like only some Protestant denominations would have everyone believe). Jesus came with a new Covenant--i.e. repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People argued, Not True!!! Only God can forgive sins! We want proof!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it isnt Jesus' death that made it possible for people to achieve forgiveness, but his death and what is more important his ressurection was a proof for people to follow his teaching. Right?

Here is my understanding. Jesus led a perfect life and never sinned. As he had never sinned, he was not deserving of death, as are we. Nevertheless, Jesus allowed himself to be put to death in exchange for God allowing the sinful to be able to enter Heaven and have eternal life. Maybe it was Jesus who said that no man goes before God without going through Jesus first. You see, Jesus intercedes to God on our behalf so that we can be let into Heaven and have eternal life. I welcome others to critique me in the event I did it wrong. :)

;)

In the meantime, we'll just have fun trying to fathom it out.
I'm not so certain people would describe the law of compensation as being fun.

That is if they knew about the law of compensation.

Jesus life was a way of redemption, not a magical forgiveness of sins (like only some Protestant denominations would have everyone believe). Jesus came with a new Covenant--i.e. repentance for the forgiveness of sins. People argued, Not True!!! Only God can forgive sins! We want proof!

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that it isnt Jesus' death that made it possible for people to achieve forgiveness, but his death and what is more important his ressurection was a proof for people to follow his teaching. Right?

Here is my understanding. Jesus led a perfect life and never sinned. As he had never sinned, he was not deserving of death, as are we. Nevertheless, Jesus allowed himself to be put to death in exchange for God allowing the sinful to be able to enter Heaven and have eternal life. Maybe it was Jesus who said that no man goes before God without going through Jesus first. You see, Jesus intercedes to God on our behalf so that we can be let into Heaven and have eternal life. I welcome others to critique me in the event I did it wrong. :)

Can you define 'sin'?

Forum List

Back