What the Confederate "rebel yell" sounded like in the civil war.

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013

To me it is pretty interesting. Skip ahead to around 2 minutes and then it puts together based on what the recording of a confederate veteran giving the rebel yell. They make it so you may know what it sounded like with thousands of confederates charging towards you with that yell.

Apparently a union soldier was once quoted saying

"if you say you heard the rebel yell and you weren't scared, then you never heard it....."

Psychological warfare at its best.

Rare footage of Civil War confederate veterans giving the "rebel yell."

To me it is pretty interesting. Skip ahead to around 2 minutes and then it puts together based on what the recording of a confederate veteran giving the rebel yell. They make it so you may know what it sounded like with thousands of confederates charging towards you with that yell.

"if you say you heard the rebel yell and you weren't scared, then you never heard it....."

That's it? Yawn.

So glad I have an ignorant pussy like bodecea on ignore. He is such an ignorant fucking moron. He thinks he is intelligent too.

The alleged psychological effect of the "rebel yell" in the Civil War is exaggerated. It's just 19th century pop-culture crap similar to the dime store novels which were popular at the time. The Japanese screamed far worse in charges during the Pacific war but US Marines weren't fazed.

The alleged psychological effect of the "rebel yell" in the Civil War is exaggerated. It's just 19th century pop-culture crap similar to the dime store novels which were popular at the time. The Japanese screamed far worse in charges during the Pacific war but US Marines weren't fazed.
Yeah, not so sure about that. There were quotes from union soldiers. Also, it seems that the confederate generals were experienced in fighting the French Indian Wars and they saw the effects of that yell. Yes, a 19th century tactic, but it is also (at least history says it) came from ancient battles. Especially from Scotland and how the highlanders would lead charges.

Many people don't know this but several native tribes fought on the side of the confederacy. The Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Seminole, Catawba, and Creek tribes. From what I read a few years ago, those generals especially Stonewall Jackson, saw what these loud repetitive chants had during battles during those French Indian wars.

It is not sure that is where the rebel yell came from, but it is not really hard to connect the dots. Since, those French Indian wars took place mainly in the south.

There was a psychological aspect to Southern strategy though. Confederate Nathan Bedford Forrest's strategy was "get 'em skeered and keep the skeer on 'em".

With Johnston, Beauregard, and Lee, the South got all the best and most experienced generals.

But Grant killed Johnston at Shiloh, and with the decline of Beauregard's health, that left only Lee as a serious opponent of Lincoln, and he then put Grant in charge of all the Federal armies and gave him the mission of destroying Lee once and for all.

Without their great generals, the rebels and their yell were muted.

Generalship wins wars, not rebel yells.

Yeah, not so sure about that. There were quotes from union soldiers. Also, it seems that the confederate generals were experienced in fighting the French Indian Wars and they saw the effects of that yell. Yes, a 19th century tactic, but it is also (at least history says it) came from ancient battles. Especially from Scotland and how the highlanders would lead charges.

Many people don't know this but several native tribes fought on the side of the confederacy. The Cherokee, Choctaw, Chickasaw, Seminole, Catawba, and Creek tribes. From what I read a few years ago, those generals especially Stonewall Jackson, saw what these loud repetitive chants had during battles during those French Indian wars.

It is not sure that is where the rebel yell came from, but it is not really hard to connect the dots. Since, those French Indian wars took place mainly in the south.
The French and Indian War was 1754-1763. The Civil War was 1861-64..I doubt any general or anyone was alive during the Civil War,, that was an active soldier during the French and Indian wars....

Last edited:

The French and Indian War was 1754-1763. The Civil War was 1861-64..I doubt any general or anyone was alive during the Civil War,, that was an active soldier during the French and Indian wars....
I meant to say the Mexican American Wars in the 1840s where certain generals like Lee and Jackson witnessed it. The French Indian war is where the first reports of the native tactics first came up and was actually taught at West Point.

With Johnston, Beauregard, and Lee, the South got all the best and most experienced generals.

But Grant killed Johnston at Shiloh, and with the decline of Beauregard's health, that left only Lee as a serious opponent of Lincoln, and he then put Grant in charge of all the Federal armies and gave him the mission of destroying Lee once and for all.

Without their great generals, the rebels and their yell were muted.

Generalship wins wars, not rebel yells.
Yeah, that is a war psychological ploy implemented by the south generals and it was effective.

"What the Confederate "rebel yell" sounded like in the civil war."

Virgin orgasms in my ears.

That's it? Yawn.

Its physiological after hearing this battle cry it was a distinct possibility you were about to receive a .50 cal minie ball to the face.

That's it? Yawn.

Its physiological after hearing this battle cry it was a distinct possibility you were about to receive a .50 cal minie ball to the face.

I read about battle tactics and this yelling certainly caused psychological problems. The swiftest soldiers in those days could discharge their musket 3 times in a minute. Those were the best ones.

Now try to imagine the average hump trying to rapidly reload their weapon with the rebel yell slowly getting louder and rapidly getting closer.

People like bodecea would be the first to shit a brick and run. Of course a spoiled little trust fund bitch like HIM would not have been close to any war.

Forum List

Back