What the Brat win and Cantor loss Shows Us

From Bloomberg:" 38%: The increase in turnout in the 7th District Republican primary from 2012 to 2014. See the
Cantor pollster John McLaughlin, who had the majority leader up by more than 30 percentage points among Republicans a couple of weeks ago in his surveys, pointed to mischief from Democrats who participated in the Republican contest. Virginia law permits so-called crossover voting, as there is no registration by party. There was no Democratic primary yesterday in the 7th, a Republican-leaning area."
Looks like open primary played a big role in Cantor's defeat.

The image of Bussing illegal immigrants all over the country, which concerned many Americans, coupled with Cantor being painted as one who is on board with immigration reform played a big role in his loss.
I think it was mainly due to democrats voting in the primary and picking Brat which is obvious by the turn out numbers vs 2012's.... then it was Brat playing Cantor as a ''Big Business/Wall street'' supporter, then it was Cantor's stance on immigration, but primarily his stance on H1B visas...

BpFcev5IEAAH_rN.jpg

And mainly against the GOP's big business and corporate business stances...

It's true that Cantor enjoyed a strong relationship with business, and it went far beyond tech to Wall Street especially. The industry that gave him the most campaign contributions was the securities and investment sector. Individuals from the private equity firm Blackstone were his biggest financial supporters. Cantor went to bat for the industry repeatedly over politically unpopular issues, including the taxation of income at private equity firms at the lower capital gains rate.
That's no surprise: for decades, the GOP and big business have worked closely together to build a political alliance that until recently appeared airtight. But now with Tea Party activist groups charging the traditional wing of the GOP with "crony capitalism"--and Cantor's loss--the balance of power is creeping away from the pro-business faction of the Republican Party.
The business lobbying groups can sense this, and they've made no secret of their intense dislike of the Tea Party wing, as Tom Hamburger and I reported last year. Dirk Van Dongen, the longtime chief lobbyist for the National Association of Wholesaler-Distributors, called Tea Party lawmakers and their activist supporters "the Taliban minority."
That enmity can only now be escalating, with people like Brat going directly after the lobbying crowd. “Cantor is following the agenda of the Business Roundtable and the Chamber of Commerce — pursuing policies that are good for big business, but come at the exclusion of the American people,” said Brat earlier this year according to the conservative website Watchdog.org.
Why Cantor?s loss is especially bad news for big business - The Washington Post

seems to me that Brat and OWS might actually have something in common, maybe?

I think the plan could be to bring the Republican party back towards the center of the isle at a minimum. The consensus is the party has allowed themselves to be pushed left.
And that's why the left hates them so much. They know that the right turns out to vote for those candidates, unlike with McCain and Romney.

i like that lie the right wing tells themselves. voters turned out, just not enough for your guy. and if your dreamed of more conservative candidate can't win the primary what chance do you think he'd have in the general?
2013-02-11-VEPTurnout19482008.jpg

Actually I cracked a beer open last night and was cracking up the entire time the results came in for this race. The republicans are eating their own AND creating a party VERY FEW will vote for...a party so damn extreme it will alienate EVEN MORE voters. Be my guest.Oh and this is coming from someone who USED TO vote straight republican ticket...from the time I was 18 until 2012. NEVER voted for a democrat now I refuse to vote for any republican I know. Give me a moderate republican who cares about the poor and education and is still pro gun and pro life ya got my vote.

Extreme is breaking the laws of the United States and freeing the very enemy who has slaughtered Americans, negotiating with terrorists who are now more emboldened than ever to kidnap Americans. Extreme is a sitting US President who has invited the enemy in to the WH while trashing our allies in the same breath. Extreme are you radical leftists who have waited for decades to destroy the very fabric of a free American and are using the Marxist N Chief to do it.

Just to catch you up on this place, all the stupid things you just said in your above post have been about a thousand times each by your idiot pals on the right.

Come up with some new material.

My point was the the TEA Party is alive and well despite the leftist's best efforts. You couldn't see the point because your mind filtered it out.

It's "alive" because of Gerrymandering.

Republicans on a State level really shot themselves in the foot.

They Gerrymandered the worst of the worst to insure that Republicans always win.

Now?

The terrorists are all lumped together and have "power".

I suppose that's better than them shooting people..

it's alive because The People of Virginia saw through a lying two-faced RINO...

you lefties are totally unhinged.....'terrorists'....?

Brat stands for free markets....no amnesty.....states rights....no obummercare.....Christian morals....

if you think those things are 'extreme' you have gone off the deep end...:cuckoo:

You mean The People of Viriginia who just voted in a Democrat for Gov, Lt. Gov. and Atty Gen? If so, you fail to understand what just happened. It was a primary, and one with very light participation. Cantor lost not because of The People, but because the only republicans in his district who cared enough to actually vote was the extreme right. The actual election for the seat won't be for several months. We'll see what The People of that district has to say then.

Cantor as a Congressman has a 95% lifetime rating by the American Conservative Union.

That's 95 where 'perfect conservative' would be 100.

This is a battle between the Right and the Far Right.

[
I think it was mainly due to democrats voting in the primary and picking Brat which is obvious by the turn out numbers vs 2012's.... then it was Brat playing Cantor as a ''Big Business/Wall street'' supporter, then it was Cantor's stance on immigration, but primarily his stance on H1B visas...

BpFcev5IEAAH_rN.jpg

William Kristol in an interview this morning agreed with the suggestion that on Wall Street issues,

Brat is pretty close to Elizabeth Warren.

Actually I cracked a beer open last night and was cracking up the entire time the results came in for this race. The republicans are eating their own AND creating a party VERY FEW will vote for...a party so damn extreme it will alienate EVEN MORE voters. Be my guest.Oh and this is coming from someone who USED TO vote straight republican ticket...from the time I was 18 until 2012. NEVER voted for a democrat now I refuse to vote for any republican I know. Give me a moderate republican who cares about the poor and education and is still pro gun and pro life ya got my vote.

Extreme is breaking the laws of the United States and freeing the very enemy who has slaughtered Americans, negotiating with terrorists who are now more emboldened than ever to kidnap Americans. Extreme is a sitting US President who has invited the enemy in to the WH while trashing our allies in the same breath. Extreme are you radical leftists who have waited for decades to destroy the very fabric of a free American and are using the Marxist N Chief to do it.

Just to catch you up on this place, all the stupid things you just said in your above post have been about a thousand times each by your idiot pals on the right.

Come up with some new material.

Look in the mirror Leftist.

Good. At least your hatred for politicians is consistent. :D

Damn right I despise the institutionalized corrupt Crime Syndicate which fronts for the US Government. At least with true Organized Crime, those people have some honor amongst their "Families." The weasel known as the Politician is true to one person, him or herself.

what law was broken?

what trial was held that determined that they slaughtered Americans?

feel free to substantiate both lies.

here, let me help... you can't.

Spoken by a leftist. No offense intended but this post alone proves how left of center Eric Cantor WAS. Everywhere you go this morning, leftists are bemoaning Eric Cantor as one of their own. It's too funny..

Enlighten me, what did Cantor do which convinces you he is left of center?

No such thing as enlightening you.. however, supporting gun control and rationalizing ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, supporting it.. Just two to begin with.. You act as though you had some personal stake in Eric Cantors primary.. lol Another example of a leftist who is whining this morning over Cantors loss.

You're still an asshole and still incapable of posting a reasoned and unemotional comment.

We've had too many moderate Republicans, that's why they loose. I don't buy your story, it makes no sense. One thing is sure, the libs cry even louder than normal when they feel threatened. The GOP will deal with the GOP, Democrats don't get to define the party. Besides, we have a record here to look at. The economy sucks, people are loosing freedoms and the libs are trying desperately to deflect the issue elsewhere. That's no small problem to overcome.

TeaParty thrives in isolated gerrymandered GOP districts. Those they can win.

But they are easy targets in statewide general elections.

Anything that fractures the opposition to progress is a net good. The TEA party fracturing the GOP is a net gain for liberalism. More power to them!!!

No such thing as enlightening you.. however, supporting gun control and rationalizing ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION, supporting it.. Just two to begin with.. You act as though you had some personal stake in Eric Cantors primary.. lol Another example of a leftist who is whining this morning over Cantors loss.

You're still an asshole and still incapable of posting a reasoned and unemotional comment.

Someone kicked a rock and LGS slithered out....

The polls had Cantor over Brat by 14 points. ALL of the polls.

Therefore, Brat must have cheated. Millions of illegals voted for him. Twice.

Last edited:
[

BpFcev5IEAAH_rN.jpg

William Kristol in an interview this morning agreed with the suggestion that on Wall Street issues,

can't say Brat is close to Squaw Warren but any Dems voting for Brat certainly indicates the frustration of Blue Collar Democrats....

the Tea Party can appeal to both sides of the aisle...

The RED SCARE + Hate, the usual characteristics of the self righteous, narcissistic neo fascist fringe. Toss out all liberals, progressives, RINO, Democrats, moderates, immigrants, in fact anyone whose beliefs don't fit nicely into the ultra conservative box in which they hide.

This is the type of person who supported Chairman Mao in his cultural revolution and participated in the purge and murder of fellow citizens.
There needs to be some kind of award for the most ironic post of the day, I think this will be in the running.

It must be frustrating for the leftards. All their efforts and the TEA Party is alive an well. The smear and hate is all yours, you hypocrites.

Why would dems be frustrated by the gop tea partying the gop's anti-Obama point man on a platform of anti-immigration reform and shut down the damn govt over obamacare?

lol Am I suppose to be insulted?

TeaParty thrives in isolated gerrymandered GOP districts. Those they can win.

But they are easy targets in statewide general elections.

Anything that fractures the opposition to progress is a net good. The TEA party fracturing the GOP is a net gain for liberalism. More power to them!!!

The TeaParty win puts the fear of god into the rest of the GOP on Immigration Reform

No way is a Republican going to back it now. This will set up a major Hispanic backlash against Republicans in 2014 and 2016

[

BpFcev5IEAAH_rN.jpg

can't say Brat is close to Squaw Warren but any Dems voting for Brat certainly indicates the frustration of Blue Collar Democrats....

the Tea Party can appeal to both sides of the aisle...

Foghorn_Leghorn_laughing.gif

Last edited:
Spoken by a leftist. No offense intended but this post alone proves how left of center Eric Cantor WAS. Everywhere you go this morning, leftists are bemoaning Eric Cantor as one of their own. It's too funny..

If Cantor was left of center he would have voted for the stimulus, the ACA, and he would have endorsed Terry McAuliffe for VA governor.

Forum List

Back