What should abortion laws be?

What do you believe abortion laws should be?

• Total voters
We'll be taking your advice on abortion right after I find a man with brain damage to advise me on breastfeeding, okay? Do us all two favors:

1) Save your advice until someone's stupid enough to ask for it, and
2) Hold your breath while you wait for that.

I'm pretty sure my plan is better than any plan, no pun intended, "conceived" by any conservative. Under my plan, they can put all those "Christian sensibilities" into practice.

We need non-believers to teach us how to be Christians even less than we need liberal retards to teach us how to be conservative. Only a leftist would be stupid and arrogant enough to believe that they're qualified to teach others how to be something that they aren't themselves.

What is wrong with those ideas??? You are too short sighted to see that ALL you want is to control the woman's life- and it has nothing to do with abortion whatsoever.

If you want to put forth a valid argument, then try NOT throwing up ad hominems every time someone else posts something that you have no logical, winning response to.

Epic Fail. As per the usual.

I'm pretty sure my plan is better than any plan, no pun intended, "conceived" by any conservative. Under my plan, they can put all those "Christian sensibilities" into practice.

We need non-believers to teach us how to be Christians even less than we need liberal retards to teach us how to be conservative. Only a leftist would be stupid and arrogant enough to believe that they're qualified to teach others how to be something that they aren't themselves.

What is wrong with those ideas??? You are too short sighted to see that ALL you want is to control the woman's life- and it has nothing to do with abortion whatsoever.

If you want to put forth a valid argument, then try NOT throwing up ad hominems every time someone else posts something that you have no logical, winning response to.

Epic Fail. As per the usual.

Yeah, I'm too short-sighted to know what I personally think and feel, whereas you are so brilliant that you are prepared to tell me all about myself, despite having never met me.

About the level of intelligence I would expect from someone who thinks dogs and humans can interbreed.

If YOU want to put forth a valid argument, try not arguing other people's thoughts, opinions, and motivations for them . . . right after you get a brain transplant.

That's so far beyond an epic fail, they'd have to invent new terminology to express it.

☭proletarian☭;1833993 said:
It's better than partial birth, but just because we aren't able to detect brain activity doesn't mean it's not human, or it's not killing a human to destroy it.

I never denied that it's human. It's human by definition and any DNA lab can confirm that. I see this issue as being very similar to that of braindeath and 'pulling the plug'. If the mind is gone, the individual no longer exists. You're no longer caring for the person, merely for the body which once housed the person. Similarly, in early-stage abortion we're dealing with a human,, but no mind has emerged. There is no individual or sentience- the very thing that separates a human from a plant or a bacterium. In such a scenario we're dealing with a human animal, but not with a person.

While it's true that not being able to detect brainwaves does not necessarily mean they're not present, not being able to detect a heartbeat doesn't mean someone's heart's not beating (although such instances are rare with modern medicine). However, if the structures of the brain which gives rise to the mind have not developed, there can be no question that they are not active, for they do not even exist yet.
Babies didn't used to be able to survive if they were more than 8 weeks premature. Should we have been aborting them up to 7 months then, because technology hadn't caught up with their needs?

I never forwarded biological viability as an argument and have refuted it in this very thread as highly subjective and of little, if any, value, so I'm not sure whom you're you're referring to.

I don't believe in the destruction of any human force, regardless of how capable that person is of thinking or communicating to us.

Should we, then, keep a body alive on life support forever? should we replace organs as they fail until we have little flesh at all and keep the machiones running for no intelligible reason? You reach a point where it's just absurd and I've seen no other meaningful measure than what I've forwarded (although I am by no means the only one to propose it). Your words may sound good, but they're not really meaningful and your ideals are neither pragmatic or useful in the real world.

Your comparison is bad. There is a big difference between someone who is brain dead and who has a small chance of recovering to full consciousness and a fetus that has an excellent chance (taking abortion out of the picture of course) of gaining consciousness. Can you really not see the difference between the two?

As an edit, should we "pull the plug" on someone that had the same chance as a fetus of gaining consciousness?

Last edited:
I object to it because I don't consider higher brain function to be a relevant cut-off. We give more respect to the life of an endangered titmouse than we do to the life of the youngest of our own species. I think it's dangerous to start setting limits based on things like intelligence and brain function, because then it becomes necessary to explain just how much intelligence and how much brain function is required, and to explain why it's not okay to kill other humans who don't meet up to an arbitrary standard of same. And sure, YOU might be able to delineate and avoid going down the slippery slope, but it opens the door to others who can't or don't want to.

I never spoke of intelligence. If I supported killing lifeforms simply because they demonstrated no signs of intelligence, many politicians would be first on my list. When we speak of why it is or is not acceptable to end the life of a human organism, we must be strive for sound reasoning. As I said before, how many body parts should you replace to keep the braindead alive? If we accept that there is a point where keeping the heart and lungs going and the other tissues alive- even though the head may be gone completely, depending on what new medical machines may be devised, whe are forced to state where that line is drawn. 'Intelligence' is useless and subjective, not to mention that such a standard flies in the face of the very concept of human rights. Why let the body die when the head has been destroyed? What is the fundamental difference, if not sentience and the existence of the individual mind? And that is the difference that determines whether the termination of life in one scenario, does not it logically apply to another scenario, as well?
I think a fetus is valuable and important for the same reason I think any human is valuable and important: because he's human and alive.

Again, what if I can keep the heart and lungs going and the tissues alive though the head is gone and the brain long destroyed? Am I to be expected to keep those tissues alive forever? How many parts can be changed for machines before itis acceptable to let the remaining tissue die? How much of a human body is needed for it to be considered 'a human' instead of simply human tissues? If the mind is not the key, then what is? What alternative do you propose?

It's objective, undeniable (unless you're the sort of person who also believes dogs and humans can mate), and clear, and shuts the door definitively on people who might decide to play havoc with your arguments to allow them to bump off anyone who happens to be inconvenient to them at the moment.

Your very limited argument leads to absurdities like those I've shown. If the mind is not the key factor, then what is?

JD, if twins share a liver,is each an individual with his/her own mind and rights, or does one own the other?

Your comparison is bad. There is a big difference between someone who is brain dead and who has a small chance of recovering to full consciousness and a fetus that has an excellent chance (taking abortion out of the picture of course) of gaining consciousness. Can you really not see the difference between the two?

As an edit, should we "pull the plug" on someone that had the same chance as a fetus of gaining consciousness?

Neither currently possesses consciousness an d I'm not familiar with anyone who was truly braindead ever regaining consciousness (the electrochemical processes of the brain, to my knowledge, have never been restarted once they stopped). Your argument is basically a variant of the 'potential life' argument and very easily leads to absurdities, such as arguing that any given ovum or sperm theoretically become part of a system that could become sentient or that a computer network could theoretically develop sentience. You end up needing to find a way to determine the probability of sentience emerging and then settling on and defending a likelihood at which to place the cut-off. Prior to the emergence of the mind, the tissue is no more a person than an arm or leg by itself.

We'll be taking your advice on abortion right after I find a man with brain damage to advise me on breastfeeding, okay? Do us all two favors:

Why would someone need to be a Christian to know what the Bible expects out of Christians?

Last edited:
I never forwarded biological viability as an argument and have refuted it in this very thread as highly subjective and of little, if any, value, so I'm not sure whom you're you're referring to.
That is in reference to something I have been pointing out to JD and she has been ignoring and rehashing her old arguments again. I must say JD, you continually point out that a fetus is not an individual because it cannot survive without the mother and yet you have no counterpoint to the fact that a well developed fetus is fully capable of surviving out of the womb. Essentially you believe that a child can and should be killed if the mother does not want the inconnivance of a live birth or C-section. Honestly, do the lives of children mean that little to you?

Oh, and I am still waiting on those statistics from your flame answer to the personal responsibility of the man.
JD

This is not about control of women but protection of children. I view children as the most important asset we have. I do not want to control women but just as it is illegal for you to commit murder unless in self defense, I believe killing a fetus should be regulated within certain limits. It seems that the majority here are in agreement. I do not see why the OP is such a bad compromise for you.

@proletarian
I hold almost the same view as you have put forth but would argue that 6 weeks is too soon to say the brain is developing. The neural network is starting to appear but any electrical activity in the brain is random and the basis for the mind is not present. The only supporting evidence for 6 week brain activity as sentience I can find comes from biased sources. I did find much evidence from scientific sources around the 20 week mark and that is why I advocate for the first trimester. Even very staunch left wing abortionist sources admit to the development of higher functions within the brain and the classic “ridges” that give humans their increased thought capabilities from week 26 to 30. I believe that the first three months give a clear line and plenty of time for a woman to make a choice while still staying out of the window of consciousness.

@ rdean
What you are saying is the belief of those so called “wingnuts” not your average conservative. If the republicans were that much of a hard liner on abortion then Roe vs. Wade would have been overturned in the Bush years. The fact is, most republicans understand that abortion needs to exist for the time being in one form or another, just not in the insane form it is in now where you can (in some states) kill a child after birth as long as the umbilical cord is still attached.

@ AllieBaba
Your stance is the one I am actually most interested as JD continually proves to lack any argument or intelligence and Contumacious has not put forth any points yet. The real question is where you draw the line at. As proletarian pointed out, sperm have the same potential as a zygote. I cannot find a technical reason to put the line at conception and therefore can see no way to argue that that is where the law should stand.

After a little more digging I went and looked up the Roe v. Wade case in the Supreme Court as this is of major concern here.
From FindLaw | Cases and Codes
Be warned if you read ^ it is long and much is in legalese.
In view of all this, we do not agree that, by adopting one theory of life, Texas may override the rights of the pregnant woman that are at stake. We repeat, however, that the State does have an important and legitimate interest in preserving and protecting the health of the pregnant woman, whether she be a resident of the State or a nonresident who seeks medical consultation and treatment there, and that it has still another important and legitimate interest in protecting the potentiality of human life. These interests are separate and distinct. Each grows in substantiality as the woman approaches [410 U.S. 113, 163] term and, at a point during pregnancy, each becomes "compelling."
With respect to the State's important and legitimate interest in the health of the mother, the "compelling" point, in the light of present medical knowledge, is at approximately the end of the first trimester. This is so because of the now-established medical fact, referred to above at 149, that until the end of the first trimester mortality in abortion may be less than mortality in normal childbirth. It follows that, from and after this point, a State may regulate the abortion procedure to the extent that the regulation reasonably relates to the preservation and protection of maternal health. Examples of permissible state regulation in this area are requirements as to the qualifications of the person who is to perform the abortion; as to the licensure of that person; as to the facility in which the procedure is to be performed, that is, whether it must be a hospital or may be a clinic or some other place of less-than-hospital status; as to the licensing of the facility; and the like.
This means, on the other hand, that, for the period of pregnancy prior to this "compelling" point, the attending physician, in consultation with his patient, is free to determine, without regulation by the State, that, in his medical judgment, the patient's pregnancy should be terminated. If that decision is reached, the judgment may be effectuated by an abortion free of interference by the State.
With respect to the State's important and legitimate interest in potential life, the "compelling" point is at viability. This is so because the fetus then presumably has the capability of meaningful life outside the mother's womb. State regulation protective of fetal life after viability thus has both logical and biological justifications. If the State is interested in protecting fetal life after viability, it may go so far as to proscribe abortion [410 U.S. 113, 164] during that period, except when it is necessary to preserve the life or health of the mother.
:eek: Apparently the court DID feel viability was an issue and allowed states to make such laws as to enforce abortion bans on viable fetuses! In many states they have attempted to make those bans but the court has been firing them down due to most lacking in a provision to ensure the safety of the mother. I wonder why that provision is absent in many cases since it does at least seem there is a supermajority that believe the health of the mother is one such reason an abortion should be performed?:confused:

FA,

As I said, finding reliable information on the matter has been difficult. Do you have links to the sources you used to determine your timeline?

☭proletarian☭;1835828 said:

Neither currently possesses consciousness an d I'm not familiar with anyone who was truly braindead ever regaining consciousness (the electrochemical processes of the brain, to my knowledge, have never been restarted once they stopped). Your argument is basically a variant of the 'potential life' argument and very easily leads to absurdities, such as arguing that any given ovum or sperm theoretically become part of a system that could become sentient or that a computer network could theoretically develop sentience. You end up needing to find a way to determine the probability of sentience emerging and then settling on and defending a likelihood at which to place the cut-off. Prior to the emergence of the mind, the tissue is no more a person than an arm or leg by itself.

You did not answer either question I asked. Please answer the questions; it is necessary for me to understand your position.

Why would anyone argue about an ovum or sperm being a human life? Science already defines that human life begins development at fertilization/conception. That to me is the most clearly defined point of the beginning of a human life. All I was doing in my previous post was pointing out the problem with your comparison.

Last edited:
Why would anyone argue about an ovum or sperm being a human life?

The 'potential life' argument actually has been forwarded many times.

☭proletarian☭;1836330 said:
Why would anyone argue about an ovum or sperm being a human life?

The 'potential life' argument actually has been forwarded many times.

I understand that, however, my question was more rhetorical as I was making the point of when science defines human life beginning.

Care to answer the other questions I asked? I did ask nicely.

I answered every question. Not my fault you lack reading comprehension skills. If you read what I posted, you can extrapolate my answer to just about any scenario you can imagine- because that's what happens when you're consistent.

And yet conservatives want to teach practises such as "abstinance only" when it clearly doesn't work.

I want to control a woman's life to the extent I want to control anyone's life who is planning to take the innocent life of another. Period.

The only thing that has become apparent here is that you are to narrow minded to even consider changing your warped definition of life as is it clearly different than the accepted defintion posted.

I believe that the decision should be the mothers until that child qualifies for a birth certificate. At which point killing the child is murder.
I don't think that any government should mandate that a citizen of their country should be reduced to a life support system against her wishes.

Forum List

Back