What makes music "good or bad"

Questioner

Nov 26, 2019
As far as music theory goes, all music, whether "Bach or Rock" comes from the same theory, but the genres vary widely.

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on what "good" or "bad music" is, besides subjective judgment.

Well, for me, what constitutes "good music" is something where I can understand the lyrics, and they actually tell a story. I also like the beat of the song to be 90 to 100 BPM, as I like to listen to music while riding my bike, and I like to keep my cadence at 90 to 100 rpm, which is why I like fast music.

And, if it's got a good beat and the lyrics are decent, it doesn't matter what genre it comes from. I like Apache as done by the Sugarhill Gang, as well as several country songs ("Swing" is one of my favorite), but mainly listen to classic rock (60's through the 90's), and punk rock from the 60's and 70's.

As far as music theory goes, all music, whether "Bach or Rock" comes from the same theory, but the genres vary widely.

I'm curious if anyone has an opinion on what "good" or "bad music" is, besides subjective judgment.

It's totally subjective, but generally good music is transcendent, bad music annoying.

I play good music for parties, but Dead Kennedys or The Residents when the party is over. Clears the house. :113:

Really good music is eventually remembered/rediscovered and played over and over. Really bad music might be remembered as being really bad, and played on occasion only for an example of such --- if ever played at all.

That's a personal thing...what makes music good or bad

I know what makes music good for me....what makes music good for me is always a winner!:2up:

Perception drives my opinion on musical quality. I tend to find good in most of it. I am a music lover of any genre.

You know, while I like just about any kind of music, there are several genres that I don't listen to, nor do I stick around when it comes on. That is the stuff like death metal and some of the others where they scream bad things with no rhythm or melody.

Bagpipes.
For the most part I can not listen to those things because of how much a presence they have when a funeral happens.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

Give this one a listen. It's a really cool Scottish street band, and they don't play much that sounds like a dirge. This is kind of a really cool bit of music and is pretty bouncy and fun.

There is no good or bad music. Its solely subjective. Music is simply sound.

Forum List

Back