What it means to be a political moderate

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/opinion/brooks-what-moderation-means.html?_r=1&

I think this is a really good description of what it means to be a political moderate. We are often mistaken by extremists (from either side) for the opposing party. Which is why, in the past couple of years, I've been called a rightwingnut and a leftist moonbat, sometimes in the same day.

Both parties, to some degree, view us as traitors to the cause. I'm okay with that, because blind partisan obedience has never benefitted this country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/10/26/opinion/brooks-what-moderation-means.html?_r=1&

I think this is a really good description of what it means to be a political moderate. We are often mistaken by extremists (from either side) for the opposing party. Which is why, in the past couple of years, I've been called a rightwingnut and a leftist moonbat, sometimes in the same day.

Both parties, to some degree, view us as traitors to the cause. I'm okay with that, because blind partisan obedience has never benefitted this country.

"The moderate does not believe that there are policies that are permanently right. Situations matter most. Tax cuts might be right one decade but wrong the next. Tighter regulations might be right one decade, but if sclerosis sets in then deregulation might be in order."

Good article...

I have always enjoyed listening to Brooks. He brings a lot of sanity to the table.

And he's right. Depending on who I am talking to here I am either a foaming at the mouth con or a lefty degenerate. :lol:

Principles matter. No matter how much you want to believe something is true, look at it critically anyway, and keep your soul intact.

We would be better served without political parties. Candidates would change from election to election from right to left and back again depending on the situation. Flip flopping is not a bad thing.

In this election it means being a pussy.

That kind of thinking is how countries go full batshit insane, and then wonder later how it happened.

The "you are either with us or against us" false dilemna leads to justifying the worst kinds of behavior.

Wake up.

We would be better served without political parties. Candidates would change from election to election from right to left and back again depending on the situation. Flip flopping is not a bad thing.

We have that now. Anyone can vote for anyone.

Yes we can, however our politicians are virtually locked in place with pledges, and party affiliation. To them it is party first and constituents second. The Democrats and Republicans tell you what they are going to do when elected and we chooses between the two. It should be the other way around. Politicians work for us not their party.

That kind of thinking is how countries go full batshit insane, and then wonder later how it happened.

The "you are either with us or against us" false dilemna leads to justifying the worst kinds of behavior.

Wake up.

Ether you want to save the USA or destroy it there is no middle ground this time....You cant be a pussy and act better cause your to chicken shit to make a decision.

Moderation is the realization that, yes, I can be wrong.

Partisanship is the political relization that the other side is always wrong.

Which describes you?

Wake up.

Ether you want to save the USA or destroy it there is no middle ground this time....You cant be a pussy and act better cause your to chicken shit to make a decision.

stick to making slurpees and let the adults run the country, otay?

Wake up, chicken little. The sky ain't falling. Someone wants you to believe that, though, because fear is a powerful motivator for some folks.

This country has weathered George W. Bush, Richard Nixon, and Jimmy Carter. We've survived being torn apart by civil war, World Wars 1&2, slavery, the racial upheaval of the 1950s-60s, Vietnam, and giving the vote to women. We'll muddle through like we always do, regardless of who gets elected.

There is plenty of irony in using a fear-based argument (ZOMG, the country is being destroyed!!!) and then calling other people cowards and pussies for being unswayed by it.

Last edited:

Wake up.

Precisely. Simplistic absolutism is causing us great damage, and this is a lousy time for it.

Wake up.

Precisely. Simplistic absolutism is causing us great damage, and this is a lousy time for it.

America has one chance to stop Obamacare.

But you will waste your vote on an anarchist.

Wake up.

Many ideas the right has for saving the country would actually severely damage it. And the same is true for the left.

So just because I may not agree with some fucked up idea you have does not automatically mean I want to destroy the USA. Quite the opposite, in fact.

The one thing you need to get through your thick head is that almost none, if any, of the people who oppose you want to destroy the country.

Everyone wants to make things better, but some "solutions" would actually make things worse, including many emanating from the right these days.

Again, your kind of thinking is exactly how countries go full batshit insane. The road to totalitarianism is paved with good intentions.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back