What it means to be a moderate

manifold

Diamond Member
Feb 19, 2008
your dreams
I consider myself to be a moderate because I recognize one simple truth when it comes to pure left wing vs pure right wing political and economic philosophy: They both lead to disaster, period.

When it comes to political and economic policy I like use the analogy that running the country is like driving a car down the road. There are often curves in the road ahead that require the driver to steer more left or steer more right depending upon the circumstances. If the driver only ever steers to the right, he will eventually go off the road into a ditch. If the driver only ever steers left, he too will eventually go off the road into a ditch. And just as important if not moreso, if the driver fails to see an oncoming curve and doesn't steer appropriately, he will go off the road into a ditch.

Being a moderate means that you cannot fall in love with either left-wing nor right-wing ideology but rather recognize the strengths and weakness of each and maintain an open, objective mind when it comes to determining which direction we ought to be turning the steering wheel.

I get the sad impression from our current crop of leaders that everyone is trying to grab the wheel but nobody is looking at the road.

Sincerely,
manifold

I think being a moderate means that by sticking to the middle road you are allowing the left and the right to deterimine what you position will be rather than thinking for yourself.

• Banned
I think being a moderate means that by sticking to the middle road you are allowing the left and the right to deterimine what you position will be rather than thinking for yourself.

That's because you are a fool, no offense.

On any one given issue, the moderate picks a side based on his own conscience.

You're welcome,
manifold

You're welcome,
manifold
You are mistaken. You are describing an independant not a moderate.
A moderate is someone with no mind of his own.
Glad I could clear that up for you.

Excellent post OP. Being a moderate doesn't mean you can't have right, or left views-but means you know that following one of those paths solely leads to disaster. I have several right, and left views, and most of them are strong views of mine. And yes the GOP and the Dems are just trying to get control of the wheel, without paying attention to the road.

Very well said.

:clap2:

I consider myself to be a moderate because I recognize one simple truth when it comes to pure left wing vs pure right wing political and economic philosophy: They both lead to disaster, period.

When it comes to political and economic policy I like use the analogy that running the country is like driving a car down the road. There are often curves in the road ahead that require the driver to steer more left or steer more right depending upon the circumstances. If the driver only ever steers to the right, he will eventually go off the road into a ditch. If the driver only ever steers left, he too will eventually go off the road into a ditch. And just as important if not moreso, if the driver fails to see an oncoming curve and doesn't steer appropriately, he will go off the road into a ditch.

Being a moderate means that you cannot fall in love with either left-wing nor right-wing ideology but rather recognize the strengths and weakness of each and maintain an open, objective mind when it comes to determining which direction we ought to be turning the steering wheel.

I get the sad impression from our current crop of leaders that everyone is trying to grab the wheel but nobody is looking at the road.

Sincerely,
manifold

Intelligence from manifold?

Hell hath frozen over.

Your brother in Christ,
xotoxi

P.S. I agree completely.

Being moderate:

Usually about 350.

(and where the hell is my degree symbol!)

Sincerely,
manifold

being a moderate means that the left wing thinks you are a right winger and the right wing thinks you are a left winger

You're welcome,
manifold

and logic and reason

Sincerely,
manifold

being a moderate means that the left wing thinks you are a right winger and the right wing thinks you are a left winger

tru dat :thup:

I've been called both right here on these boards more times than I can count.

You're welcome,
manifold
You are mistaken. You are describing an independant not a moderate.
A moderate is someone with no mind of his own.
Glad I could clear that up for you.

If it makes you feel better, go ahead and re-read the OP replacing the word moderate with independant.

A hair not worth splitting in my opinion, but whatever. :thup:

For those of you willing to buy even a few grains of what I'm selling in the OP, the truly interesting question is which way should we be steering the wheel right now, and why?

For those of you willing to buy even a few grains of what I'm selling in the OP, the truly interesting question is which way should we be steering the wheel right now, and why?

Let's hit the brakes and go in reverse.

Fatwa on moderation

Don’t be such a fanatic!
What is the ruling on a person who, when he is advised with regard to an action which goes against sharee’ah, immediately says, “Don’t be such a fanatic and so extreme; be moderate.” We hope you can explain what moderation is.

Praise be to Allaah.

Whoever is advised concerning something that is haraam according to sharee’ah, so that he can avoid it or give it up, or is told of an obligation so that he can fulfil it, then he says something like this, is doing wrong. What he should do, if he is advised, is to thank the person who has offered the advice, then he should look at himself and if the advice was justified, then he should avoid the haraam thing and do what is obligatory. As far as his comment “you are a fanatic” is concerned, fanaticism, laxity and moderation are all to be understood in reference to sharee’ah. Whatever is in accordance with sharee’ah is moderate;

whatever exceeds that is extreme and whatever falls short of that is laxity. The standard in all cases is sharee’ah and the meaning of moderation is that which is in accordance with the sharee’ah. Whatever is in accordance with sharee’ah is moderate.

Most moderates just spend an inordinate amount of time trying to be all things to all people rather than standing on principal.

We should be steering towards smaller government more personal freedom and liberty the growth of government has been from both sides of the isle with power consolidating in DC .

Most moderates just spend an inordinate amount of time trying to be all things to all people rather than standing on principal.

That's 180 degrees of wrong in typewritten form.

The point is that a moderate / independent / centrist decides issue by issue what they believe - and sticks to it - DESPITE what the other side says. That's holding fast to principles.

Sounds like you have a strong position and believe that if others dont bend your way then they're wrong. I could be wrong about that, but just letting you know how you sound.

It's harder to be an independent than someone who just scarfs down and spits back out what one side or the other makes you think.

The point is that a moderate / independent / centrist decides issue by issue what they believe - and sticks to it - DESPITE what the other side says. That's holding fast to principles.
Or it could just mean they enjoy the same confirmation bias as everyone else.

What makes you think conservatives and liberals don't decide issues by what they believe and stick to it despite what the other side says?

I remain on the fence because to the right of me there are religious zealots and Randroids foaming at the mouth with misdirected rage, groveling at the feet of billionaires, pathetically attempting to curry favor whilst to the left of me are milquetoast pseudo-liberal sellouts supporting other pseudo-liberal sellouts, participating in anti-war demonstrations which go nowhere and accomplish zip.

I promised myself never to vote again for any politician. :razz:

It's demonstrably futile to put forth any effort to join hands with rightist and leftist dogmatists; obviously these fools have never heard of "divide and conquer". Anyways, it's a moot point. The republicunts are full of shit; the demitwats are full of shit. This entire two-party system is a dog and pony show and provides the population with the soothing illusion that their voices count and are heard.

What a laugh.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back