What it means to be a moderate

I consider myself to be a moderate because I recognize one simple truth when it comes to pure left wing vs pure right wing political and economic philosophy: They both lead to disaster, period.

When it comes to political and economic policy I like use the analogy that running the country is like driving a car down the road. There are often curves in the road ahead that require the driver to steer more left or steer more right depending upon the circumstances. If the driver only ever steers to the right, he will eventually go off the road into a ditch. If the driver only ever steers left, he too will eventually go off the road into a ditch. And just as important if not moreso, if the driver fails to see an oncoming curve and doesn't steer appropriately, he will go off the road into a ditch.

Being a moderate means that you cannot fall in love with either left-wing nor right-wing ideology but rather recognize the strengths and weakness of each and maintain an open, objective mind when it comes to determining which direction we ought to be turning the steering wheel.

I get the sad impression from our current crop of leaders that everyone is trying to grab the wheel but nobody is looking at the road.

Sincerely,
manifold

moderate = compromiser

Contrary to the fanatical belief of its advocates, compromise [on basic principles] does not satisfy, but dissatisfies everybody; it does not lead to general fulfillment, but to general frustration; those who try to be all things to all men, end up by not being anything to anyone. And more: the partial victory of an unjust claim, encourages the claimant to try further; the partial defeat of a just claim, discourages and paralyzes the victim.

Ayn Rand

Nice OP.
I get called various brands all the time. My opinions MUST be classified as either RW or LW. I just go by what I think is right. Not someone else.
Collectivism is a disease.

I'm pro-choice, therefore I must be a left-winger
I'm anti-abortion, therefore I must be a right-winger
I believe our current tax structure subsidizes the wealthy at the expense of the middle class, therefore I must be a left-winger
I adamantly support the 2nd Amendment, therefore I must be a right-winger
I believe building a wall on the Mexican border would be a giant waste of money, therefore I must be a left-winger
I recognize the threat that radical Islam poses on the Western world, therefore I must be a right-winger
I support net neutrality, therefore I must be a left-winger

Or maybe, just maybe, I'm a moderate who evaluates each issue on it's own merits and not based on what Fox or MSNBC have to say about it. :dunno:

I consider myself to be a moderate because I recognize one simple truth when it comes to pure left wing vs pure right wing political and economic philosophy: They both lead to disaster, period.

When it comes to political and economic policy I like use the analogy that running the country is like driving a car down the road. There are often curves in the road ahead that require the driver to steer more left or steer more right depending upon the circumstances. If the driver only ever steers to the right, he will eventually go off the road into a ditch. If the driver only ever steers left, he too will eventually go off the road into a ditch. And just as important if not moreso, if the driver fails to see an oncoming curve and doesn't steer appropriately, he will go off the road into a ditch.

Being a moderate means that you cannot fall in love with either left-wing nor right-wing ideology but rather recognize the strengths and weakness of each and maintain an open, objective mind when it comes to determining which direction we ought to be turning the steering wheel.

I get the sad impression from our current crop of leaders that everyone is trying to grab the wheel but nobody is looking at the road.

Sincerely,
manifold

So which way should we be looking to turn the wheel now? :dunno:

Sincerely,
manifold

The way it is destined to go
source.gif

Sincerely,
manifold

With current infrastructure, the road will just crumble from beneath us.

But in reality, I think we should turn a hard left. Follow signs pointing to The Netherlands.

Sincerely,
manifold

With current infrastructure, the road will just crumble from beneath us.

But in reality, I think we should turn a hard left. Follow signs pointing to The Netherlands.
This isnt 200M years ago. We cant just drive to the netherlands.

I think being a moderate means that by sticking to the middle road you are allowing the left and the right to deterimine what you position will be rather than thinking for yourself.

That's because you are a fool, no offense.

On any one given issue, the moderate picks a side based on his own conscience.

You're welcome,
manifold
You are mistaken. You are describing an independant not a moderate.
A moderate is someone with no mind of his own.
Glad I could clear that up for you.

Your opinion is noted, but many independents are politically moderate.

The point is that a moderate / independent / centrist decides issue by issue what they believe - and sticks to it - DESPITE what the other side says. That's holding fast to principles.
Or it could just mean they enjoy the same confirmation bias as everyone else.

What makes you think conservatives and liberals don't decide issues by what they believe and stick to it despite what the other side says?
Because the left may be "more right" about some issues, and the right "more right" on others, in the opinion of a moderate/independent. Neither end of the spectrum has any claim to more validity than the other.

And speaking only for myself, both left and right in this country are ideologically indisposed from even considering some views on given issues that might, or might not, have some possibility of benefitting society.

Viewing each issue on its individual merits, and supporting or not supporting based on gathering information supplied by both sides of an issue, seems like an intelligent way to do things. but it has become much more difficult to gather factual information in a time when fake is used to label all opposing views.

I think being a moderate means that by sticking to the middle road you are allowing the left and the right to deterimine what you position will be rather than thinking for yourself.

That's because you are a fool, no offense.

On any one given issue, the moderate picks a side based on his own conscience.

You're welcome,
manifold
You are mistaken. You are describing an independant not a moderate.
A moderate is someone with no mind of his own.
Glad I could clear that up for you.

Your opinion is noted, but many independents are politically moderate.
This is a profound statement for the ages

Sincerely,
manifold

The left has no strengths. It's nothing but a pile of lies and bullshit.

New Topics

Forum List

Back