What Is Your Opinion Of Snake Handling In The Church?

This is what you get when you literally believe in the christian bible and lack education

Last edited:
Some believe that to "take up serpents" is a form of religious expression. In the King James Bible, Mark 16:18 says, "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them."

This pastor and his followers believe that God calls upon them to handle venomous serpents and to drink other poisons. Even if they are bitten, they will refuse medical treatment because they believe that they are worthy of God's faith, and that their fate is in God's hands:

Snake-Handling Pastor Dies From Rattlesnake Bite

abc_jamie_coots_ll_131121_16x9_992.jpg
Most religious snake handlers are still found in the Appalachian Mountains and other parts of the southeastern United States, especially in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and South Carolina. In 2001, about 40 small churches practiced snake handling, most of them considered to be holiness-Pentecostals or charismatics

Some believe that to "take up serpents" is a form of religious expression. In the King James Bible, Mark 16:18 says, "They shall take up serpents; and if they drink any deadly thing, it shall not hurt them."

This pastor and his followers believe that God calls upon them to handle venomous serpents and to drink other poisons. Even if they are bitten, they will refuse medical treatment because they believe that they are worthy of God's faith, and that their fate is in God's hands:

Most religious snake handlers are still found in the Appalachian Mountains and other parts of the southeastern United States, especially in Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, Kentucky, North Carolina, Tennessee, West Virginia, and South Carolina. In 2001, about 40 small churches practiced snake handling, most of them considered to be holiness-Pentecostals or charismatics

I've lived in east Tennessee for the last 70 years. You don't need to educate me about snake handling in churches. The problem is that goddam fable written 2000 years ago by people who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat:

flat_earth.jpg

salem-witchcraft-trials-1692-2-728.jpg

salem-witches.jpg

Last edited:
I've lived in east Tennessee for the last 70 years. You don't need to educate me about snake handling in churches. The problem is that goddam fable written 2000 years ago by people who believed in witches and thought the earth was flat:

No, the problem is not with what was written or when it was written. The problem is with idiots who have failed to comprehend 2000-5000 year old metaphors as complicated and difficult to decipher as a talking serpent.

"Taking up serpents" has nothing whatever to do with jumping around with venomous snakes.

"I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you." Luke 10:19

You have taken up and handled serpents in this very thread and have been bitten with their deadly poison but it has had absolutely no effect on you.

Why is it so hard for you to make the connection between what is written and what is actually happening and open your mind to believe?

Faith by WORKS and not in CHRIST! That is exactly what I think of such foolishness.

Forum List

Back