What is your background/interest in the Middle East?

Saigon

Gold Member
May 4, 2012
Helsinki, Finland
Roadby suggested the other day that people post their qualifications or background on this topic, and I think it's a great idea.

It's not a contest, but I'm curious to know who might have lived in Qatar, who might have a degree in Arabic, or who might have spent every summer at Yeshiva camp!

So think of countries you have been to, any relevant degrees or publications, languages spoken....anything which really attaches you to the Israel/Palestine conflict and the ME region.

I don't mind going first or last...but I'll hold off in case someone really wants to go first!

All off-topic spamming, abuse and tantrums will be ignored.

Last edited:
So think of countries you have been to, any relevant degrees or publications, languages spoken....anything which really attaches you to the Israel/Palestine conflict and the ME region.

Palestine was a Roman-invented name for Israel during the Roman Empire. Maybe, "attach" yourself to a history book? :badgrin:

Here's your desperately needed history lesson for the day, gratis. :clap2:

Eminent Biblical Historian and Scholar Dr. Paula Fredriksen, Professor of Religion, Boston University; Ph.D, History of Religion, Princeton University; Diploma in Theology, Oxford University
The Judean revolt against Rome was led by [Jewish rebel] Bar Kochba in 132-135 CE. The immediate causes of this rebellion are obscure. Its result was not: [Roman Emperor] Hadrian crushed the revolt and banned Jews from Judea.

The Romans now designated this territory by a political neologism, "Palestine" [a Latin form of "Philistine"], in a deliberate effort to denationalize Jewish/Judean territory. And, finally, Hadrian eradicated Jewish Jerusalem, erecting upon its ruins a new pagan city, Aelia Capitolina.
Jesus of Nazareth, King of the Jews by Paula Fredriksen - Book - Random House
PBS...
Specializing in the history of early Christianity, Paula Fredriksen is author of two books and over a dozen articles on early Christianity. Among her numerous awards and honors are a National Endowment for the Humanities grant for University Professors and a Lady Davis Visiting Professorship of Ancient Christianity at the Hebrew University in Jerusalem. Her second book, From Jesus to Christ: The Origins of the New Testament Images of Jesus, received the Yale Press Governors' Award for Best Book in 1988. Fredriksen holds a Ph.D. in history of religions, ancient christianity, and Greco-Roman religions from Princeton University and a theology diploma from Oxford University. She served as historical consultant for the BBC production The Lives of Jesus and was a featured speaker and historical consultant for U.S. News and World Report's "The Life and Times of Jesus."
Biographies | From Jesus To Christ - The First Christians | FRONTLINE | PBS
PBS...
In 70 AD, after a siege marked by starvation and terror crucifixions, the Roman army broke through the walls of Jerusalem. Not only did they kill thousands of Jews, they laid waste to the Temple, the only place on Earth, according to Biblical law, where Jews could worship God.

It was the death of the religion of Priests and sacrifices described by the Hebrew Bible. But, it would not be the death of Judaism. In the years ahead, some of the greatest religious minds in history would struggle to reinvent the religion of Moses and David.

But, the Jews would be forced to work during a period of almost inconceivable bloodshed and turmoil. They would watch their people be expelled from Jerusalem on pain of death and see the name of their homeland changed from Judea to Palestine
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLypbbijk2I&feature=relmfu]The Gifts of the Jews - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
Well, Stoner's interest is spam.

PFUCKTARD

"Rep System Guidelines: Our reputation system is designed to provide a feedback and credibility mechanism."

P F Tinmore Rep Power: 0
"PF Tinmore is off the scale"

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4Vp642ERhM&feature=related]Sound-Effects - Crowd Laughing - YouTube[/ame]

My nephew married a girl from Palestine she is awesome ,,he was teaching English there..she speaks four languages and they now teach together in the United Arab Emirates..they have the sweetest little girl ever, my grand niece.. a wee Scottish /palestinian lass

Wow, interesting!

There can't be too many Scottish-Palestinians in the world! But that would certainly give you an interesting view of the conflict.

Again - all attempts to derail this thread with off-topic spamming and abuse will be ignored.

Roadby suggested the other day that people post their qualifications or background on this topic, and I think it's a great idea.

It's not a contest, but I'm curious to know who might have lived in Qatar, who might have a degree in Arabic, or who might have spent every summer at Yeshiva camp!

I don't mind going first or last...but I'll hold off in case someone really wants to go first!

My interest regarding the middle east is founded in personal superstition and my qualifications for.... posting..... is, in addition to that which so many unaware give of their abundance, intuition.

It isn't too difficult to observe the exchanges of others.... finding treasures among their carelessly disgarded words, pathological fingerprints upon the page.

My interest regarding the middle east is founded in personal superstition and my qualifications for.... posting..... is, in addition to that which so many unaware give of their abundance, intuition.

It isn't too difficult to observe the exchanges of others.... finding treasures among their carelessly disgarded words, pathological fingerprints upon the page.

Interesting!

I'm not at all intuitive myself, so I don't think it would work for me, but I do agree that intuition is a very interesting way of reading other peoples' words. I often find that the most offensively racist comments come at times when people are least aware of what they are saying...as you say, those pathological fingerprints!

:eusa_shhh: JStone may very well be an eccentrically brilliant artist who struggles in presenting his material in a direct and unquestionable fashion. Perhaps JStone is a profoundly veiled Illusionist in which gauges the alptitude of his gazing audience by subjecting such to conspiring, spiraling psychological entrapments in which provokes, continually evoking complex thought that his audience becomes self-inflictive and irreversibly defective by merely being present to his service. Those few who do successfully withstand, with the simplicity and eloquence that only such as JStone could possess, receive a trophied entitlement of his best effort toward belittling degradation of their, however successfully, applied logic. :eusa_boohoo:

:eusa_shhh: JStone may very well be an eccentrically brilliant artist who struggles in presenting his material in a direct and unquestionable fashion. Perhaps JStone is a profoundly veiled Illusionist in which gauges the alptitude of his gazing audience by subjecting such to conspiring, spiraling psychological entrapments in which provokes, continually evoking complex thought that his audience becomes self-inflictive and irreversibly defective by merely being present to his service. Those few who do successfully withstand, with the simplicity and eloquence that only such as JStone could possess, receive a trophied entitlement of his best effort toward belittling degradation of their, however successfully, applied logic. :eusa_boohoo:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOKociU8t_Q]Waynes World- Yeah, and monkeys might fly out of my butt! - YouTube[/ame]

Do you need cream for that?

Perhaps a "full drum" would help.

:dunno:

The middle eastern culture has been bleeding into ours for many decades, well before Bush's Bush.... Perhaps someone has the historical/spiritual capacity to be able to dismantle such within the board giving better detail to cultural conception.

Wow, interesting! There can't be too many Scottish-Palestinians in the world!
Hear! Hear! We may certainly address this lack of multiculturalism through the coordinated international effort of humanitarian relocation of palistanians, of course.

Scottish Jews Stand Up for Palestinian Struggle For Freedom from Israel and Zionism
See, folks, how easy it is! One coordinated international enterprise of humanitarian relocation of palistanians, and scottish problem of the lack of multiculturalism is solved, and palistanians are free from "Israel and Zionism", of course! A win-win!

Im sure it would all make sense to this guy...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr8xQUEtrkA&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL71C9D22A084DC9AC]Romney Baptism Of The Dead - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:

Forum List

Back