What is wrong with what Akin said???

It has everything to do with the thread.

Your post has nothing to do with thread.

This nit believes women can't have been raped if they become pregnant.

If true, that makes him a fool. However, your post had nothing to do with that.

I'm not really surprised to find that you agree with him.

I'm not surprised that you're a fucking liar.

Except what you describe is not rape,

But a lot of men go to jail, and wear the scarlet letter for it.

and courts realize this. That's why we have courts.

Good fucking joke - bummer there is zero truth to it. BTW, a black man is more likely to be falsely accused of rape.

So we shouldn't charge rape because, well...sometimes we get it wrong?

OK then. Noted.

Courts get it wrong sometimes. Juries get it wrong. Should we do away with sentencing because juries make mistakes?

Rape is an act of violence, where force and coercion are used.

Getting drunk isn't rape. Perhaps there should be some laws on it, but rape it isn't.
Oh, I see. So a girl wears a skirt, get drunks and passes out. It requires no violence to undress her so that's not rape?

OK then. Run with that claim. Shout it loud and proud.

Some states will fund abortion if a woman says she was raped. No proof just her word. When some states changed the law to include that the rape had to be reported to authorities in order for it to be state funded the amount of pregnancies from rape dropped 100%.

That could be what he meant about legitimate rape.

The other theory, that the body self aborts a rape baby is pure ignorance.

Some states will fund abortion if a woman says she was raped. No proof just her word. When some states changed the law to include that the rape had to be reported to authorities in order for it to be state funded the amount of pregnancies from rape dropped 100%.
Link?

Here is exactly what Akin said that EVERYONE is SO.... upset with!!!

It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. You know, I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.

GOP Rep. Todd Akin Criticized For Rape Comment : NPR

Again taken totally OUT of CONTEXT ...LIKE "UNCHAINED"!!!!

Akin says that if it wasn't consensual sex, but actual physical totally against the woman's will (LEGITIMATE), sometimes NATURE will NOT allow conception to occur.

So Akin asks a logical question, JUST because the woman is inconvenienced by a pregnancy why should a human being DIE??:??

Seems like a legitimate statement:
Are you in favor of killing a human being JUST because someone is INCONVENIENCED?

Studies have found approximately 5 percent of rapes result in pregnancy.

All Things Considered host Melissa Block talks with Nick Baumann of Mother Jones magazine about the belief at the core of Missouri state Rep. Todd Akin's furor-raising statement over the weekend: that "legitimate rape" rarely leads to pregnancy.

The belief that hormones or adrenaline protect women from conception during rape has been perpetuated for decades in American political discourse, without scientific basis.

BAUMANN: So, as far as we can tell from CDC and medical studies and Planned Parenthood's released some numbers of their own, there are tens of thousands of pregnancies from rape in the U.S. each year. And about 5 percent of women who are raped get pregnant. About half of those pregnancies end in abortion..

Examining The Truth About Rape And Pregnancy : NPR

Most Americans are very sensitive to the issue of pregnancies related to rape.

I agree that rape pregnancies provide a convenient smokescreen for proponents of abortion. The victims of rape and incest are used as human shields to protect the annual million-plus abortions that are not from rape or incest. It is a disgusting tactic invariably used when a politician states they are pro-life. Every. Single. Time...they are asked, "What about in cases of rape or incest?"

And, bang, the smokescreen goes up. Rape and incest victims used as human shields. Sickening.

Most Americans support abortions in the case of rape or incest, even most pro-life people do.

For those who believe life begins at conception, one can be perceived as hypocritical if one supports the murder of a fertlized egg just because the fertilization came about as a result of rape.

Since Akins does believe life begins at conception, he has to take a non-hypocritical stand. He cannot support post-conception abortion under any circumstances.

This puts him at odds with even many pro-life people. Most Americans do not have a moral objection to aborting an unfeeling batch of cells. There are people who support abortion in the first trimester who self-identify as "pro-life".

Akins went further off the deep end with his highly unscientific claim that a woman's reproductive system shuts down when she is raped.

He's an idiot, but what is lost in the hyperbole is that he does not rise above the idiocy level of your average Congressman.

Dude. It isn't the pro-choice people that are trying to make laws regulating women's bodies.

his statements show his ignorance of the female body which does not know friendly sperm from foe...

o and let me add.....you are fucking idiot for not getting that

Perhaps, but serotonin levels from stress have an impact. Real rape is a violent and stressful event. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I suspect that he is more right than wrong.

And we do need to address "real rape" versus "when I woke up, he was ugly," that is so often called "rape."

Serotonin?

On a sidenote, I KNEW I could count on some batshit crazy wing of this website to step up and attempt to defend this guy.

Nice work, Healthmyths! You're bringing out the crazy.

I'm trying to understand the hysteria that people have with this phrase "legitimate rape"!

At first I was like most of you JUMPING to conclusions, and THEN I heard/read the entire context!

What is wrong that even GOP leaders are jumping to conclusions without UNDERSTANDING what was being said!

"Legitimate rape" is a reality!
Some woman totally enamored by some six pack stud climbs all over him and he reluctantly has sex.
She finds out she was making a fool of herself.
So she claims "rape"!

That is NOT a legitimate "RAPE"!!!!

Or I just heard a woman explaining what she heard in context of a love struck young girl who falls and screws and her parents don't approve and file a "rape" charge against the young man.. Is that "legitimate"???

This is what Akin was not clearly saying!

Hey, stupid.

If women could control when they got pregnant, they'd only get pregnant when they wanted to.

Hey, skank.

What the fuck does that have to do with the thread?

The skank is forgetting that the human body, while under extreme stress... which a rape falls under, the human body is extrordinary. Remember... 5% of rapes end in a pregnancy.

Of course rape is horrible.... and very stressful to the victim.

I feel bad for Akin because he merely mispoke and used terrible wording to try and convey what he meant.

Rape is rape... Period!

Wonder what Whoopie Goldberg thinks. :eusa_whistle:

his statements show his ignorance of the female body which does not know friendly sperm from foe...

Perhaps, but serotonin levels from stress have an impact. Real rape is a violent and stressful event. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I suspect that he is more right than wrong.

And we do need to address "real rape" versus "when I woke up, he was ugly," that is so often called "rape."

Happened to you often, huh...? :eusa_clap:

On a sidenote, I KNEW I could count on some batshit crazy wing of this website to step up and attempt to defend this guy.

Nice work, Healthmyths! You're bringing out the crazy.

I'm trying to understand the hysteria that people have with this phrase "legitimate rape"!

At first I was like most of you JUMPING to conclusions, and THEN I heard/read the entire context!

What is wrong that even GOP leaders are jumping to conclusions without UNDERSTANDING what was being said!

"Legitimate rape" is a reality!
Some woman totally enamored by some six pack stud climbs all over him and he reluctantly has sex.
She finds out she was making a fool of herself.
So she claims "rape"!

That is NOT a legitimate "RAPE"!!!!

yes indeed! All you need to do is show that to the court. The guy's innocent until proven guilty - you know that, right?

Your attempt to describe what Akin was saying differs from his own attempts at explaining.

Hey, stupid.

If women could control when they got pregnant, they'd only get pregnant when they wanted to.

Hey, skank.

The skank is forgetting that the human body, while under extreme stress... which a rape falls under, the human body is extrordinary. Remember... 5% of rapes end in a pregnancy.

I feel bad for Akin because he merely mispoke and used terrible wording to try and convey what he meant.

Rape is rape... Period!

He didn't misspeak. He made up his own biological theory. It wasn't a gaffe. It was either deliberate bullshit or magical thinking.

Hey, stupid.

Hey, skank.

Rape is rape... Period!

What percentage of consensual sexual encounters end in pregnancy?

He didn't misspeak, he said what he believes.

• Thanks
Reactions: kaz
What really makes me sick is Fox News, his campaign and fellow Republicans coming out and calling the left a bunch of liars for taking Akin out of context. Oh wait, they didn't do that......

• Thanks
Reactions: Vel

Happened to you often, huh...? :eusa_clap:
Nah, I'm pretty sure he is ugly even to a drunk.

You are one of the few cognoscenti, thinking beings on this board! Thank you!

Forum List

Back