What is wrong with what Akin said???

Republicans should stand up and defend this Akins nut to the teeth. Pitch a tent in his campaign's front yard and get to work screaming it from the rooftops.

BTW, what kind of rape is not legitimate?

He didn't mean legitimate rape, he really meant forcible rape which now is more cloudy than it once was. Aside from that, he was stupid, ignorant, and utterly without a redeeming social quality. Which makes him obscene. In his mind, he believes that the voters will forgive him because he learned from his mistake. We'll see if they do because he's not dropping out.

What did he say that makes him "obscene"?

Was the phrase "legitimate rape" obscene because it is being used in Congress to describe those cases where there was "consensual" sex and then the woman claims "rape"!

There have been a few well documented cases where others testified the woman was in a complete consensual state, not drunk, not drugged, totally compliant and had sexual intercourse that she later claimed was "Rape".

As Akin points out when a woman with NO respect for her body much less another human being's life, decides to have an abortion and claims "raped"???
Why should the innocent human being SUFFER?

What is truly obscene is YOU obviously have NO respect for human life!
You are NO better then animals in the wild that eat their own so they will have more food!
You probably will have an abortion because "pregnancy" is an inconvenience!

YOU are obscene!

Republicans should stand up and defend this Akins nut to the teeth. Pitch a tent in his campaign's front yard and get to work screaming it from the rooftops.

They are starting to, at least the ones that post here.

his statements show his ignorance of the female body which does not know friendly sperm from foe...

o and let me add.....you are fucking idiot for not getting that

Perhaps, but serotonin levels from stress have an impact. Real rape is a violent and stressful event. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I suspect that he is more right than wrong.

And we do need to address "real rape" versus "when I woke up, he was ugly," that is so often called "rape."

Hey, stupid.

If women could control when they got pregnant, they'd only get pregnant when they wanted to.

his statements show his ignorance of the female body which does not know friendly sperm from foe...

o and let me add.....you are fucking idiot for not getting that

Perhaps, but serotonin levels from stress have an impact. Real rape is a violent and stressful event. I don't know if he's right or wrong, but I suspect that he is more right than wrong.

And we do need to address "real rape" versus "when I woke up, he was ugly," that is so often called "rape."

I saw a show a while back called "The Science of Sex" and it got into this a little bit. If i remember correctly, a woman's orgasm helps with conception in providing a better environment for sperm to swim through. But it didn't say anything about a woman's body "shutting down" during rape. Obviously women who are raped don't want to be so it's probably it doesn't help with pregnancy but we know that a woman's body doesn't "shut down" during rape because women have gotten pregnant from it.

What's bad about the comment is that you know he really thinks that to some extent. I don't think he hates women or anything but it does show that when it comes to rape and conception, he's either stupid, naive or ignorant... or some combination of both. Definitely not a good thing if the issue of abortion and women's rights is a big deal to you.

Here is exactly what Akin said that EVERYONE is SO.... upset with!!!

It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. You know, I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.

GOP Rep. Todd Akin Criticized For Rape Comment : NPR

Again taken totally OUT of CONTEXT ...LIKE "UNCHAINED"!!!!

Akin says that if it wasn't consensual sex, but actual physical totally against the woman's will (LEGITIMATE), sometimes NATURE will NOT allow conception to occur.

So Akin asks a logical question, JUST because the woman is inconvenienced by a pregnancy why should a human being DIE??:??

Seems like a legitimate statement:
Are you in favor of killing a human being JUST because someone is INCONVENIENCED?

Studies have found approximately 5 percent of rapes result in pregnancy.

All Things Considered host Melissa Block talks with Nick Baumann of Mother Jones magazine about the belief at the core of Missouri state Rep. Todd Akin's furor-raising statement over the weekend: that "legitimate rape" rarely leads to pregnancy.

The belief that hormones or adrenaline protect women from conception during rape has been perpetuated for decades in American political discourse, without scientific basis.

BAUMANN: So, as far as we can tell from CDC and medical studies and Planned Parenthood's released some numbers of their own, there are tens of thousands of pregnancies from rape in the U.S. each year. And about 5 percent of women who are raped get pregnant. About half of those pregnancies end in abortion..

Examining The Truth About Rape And Pregnancy : NPR

Whether he meant it that way or not, his statement implies that if you got pregnant, it probably wasn't really rape. The man needs to pick up a biology book.

Tawana Brawley rape allegations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm sure you had a point with this, but for the life of me I don't know what that point would be.

That prosecutors and courts are sometimes wrong?

That we shouldn't prosecute rape because sometimes the victims lie?

I saw a show a while back called "The Science of Sex" and it got into this a little bit. If i remember correctly, a woman's orgasm helps with conception in providing a better environment for sperm to swim through. But it didn't say anything about a woman's body "shutting down" during rape.

Yeah, that sounds pretty stupid. I would not be surprised to find that stress plays a role, but nothing is going to shut down.

Obviously women who are raped don't want to be so it's probably it doesn't help with pregnancy but we know that a woman's body doesn't "shut down" during rape because women have gotten pregnant from it.

Yep. Though I suspect that stress will affect the process of conception.

What's bad about the comment is that you know he really thinks that to some extent. I don't think he hates women or anything but it does show that when it comes to rape and conception, he's either stupid, naive or ignorant... or some combination of both. Definitely not a good thing if the issue of abortion and women's rights is a big deal to you.

So many people take snippets of information and expand them to meet political goals. This guy is clearly anti-abortion and probably did read something about stress, then blew it all out of proportion and context.

who i vote is and will remain my business.....

i do not care for people who make ignorant remarks about rape, do you?

What "ignorant remarks" because I'm SURE YOU'VE in your limited sexual fantasies
have "pleaded" "take me" and later wanted to call the cops!

On a sidenote, I KNEW I could count on some batshit crazy wing of this website to step up and attempt to defend this guy.

Nice work, Healthmyths! You're bringing out the crazy.

who i vote is and will remain my business.....

i do not care for people who make ignorant remarks about rape, do you?

What "ignorant remarks" because I'm SURE YOU'VE in your limited sexual fantasies
have "pleaded" "take me" and later wanted to call the cops!

Fucking punk. What kind of person says the above to an anonymous person?

Grow an ounce of respect and try to buy your dignity back.

It seems to me, first of all, from what I understand from doctors, that's really rare. If it's a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down. But let's assume that maybe that didn't work or something. You know, I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child.

Akin says that if it wasn't consensual sex, but actual physical totally against the woman's will (LEGITIMATE), sometimes NATURE will NOT allow conception to occur.

So Akin asks a logical question, JUST because the woman is inconvenienced by a pregnancy why should a human being DIE??:??

Are you in favor of killing a human being JUST because someone is INCONVENIENCED?

All Things Considered host Melissa Block talks with Nick Baumann of Mother Jones magazine about the belief at the core of Missouri state Rep. Todd Akin's furor-raising statement over the weekend: that "legitimate rape" rarely leads to pregnancy.

The belief that hormones or adrenaline protect women from conception during rape has been perpetuated for decades in American political discourse, without scientific basis.

BAUMANN: So, as far as we can tell from CDC and medical studies and Planned Parenthood's released some numbers of their own, there are tens of thousands of pregnancies from rape in the U.S. each year. And about 5 percent of women who are raped get pregnant. About half of those pregnancies end in abortion..

Most Americans are very sensitive to the issue of pregnancies related to rape.

I agree that rape pregnancies provide a convenient smokescreen for proponents of abortion. The victims of rape and incest are used as human shields to protect the annual million-plus abortions that are not from rape or incest. It is a disgusting tactic invariably used when a politician states they are pro-life. Every. Single. Time...they are asked, "What about in cases of rape or incest?"

And, bang, the smokescreen goes up. Rape and incest victims used as human shields. Sickening.

Most Americans support abortions in the case of rape or incest, even most pro-life people do.

For those who believe life begins at conception, one can be perceived as hypocritical if one supports the murder of a fertlized egg just because the fertilization came about as a result of rape.

Since Akins does believe life begins at conception, he has to take a non-hypocritical stand. He cannot support post-conception abortion under any circumstances.

This puts him at odds with even many pro-life people. Most Americans do not have a moral objection to aborting an unfeeling batch of cells. There are people who support abortion in the first trimester who self-identify as "pro-life".

Akins went further off the deep end with his highly unscientific claim that a woman's reproductive system shuts down when she is raped.

He's an idiot, but what is lost in the hyperbole is that he does not rise above the idiocy level of your average Congressman.

Last edited:
Except what you describe is not rape,

But a lot of men go to jail, and wear the scarlet letter for it.

and courts realize this. That's why we have courts.

Good fucking joke - bummer there is zero truth to it. BTW, a black man is more likely to be falsely accused of rape.

Brian Banks, CA Football Player, Exonerated Of Rape Charges After Over 5 Years In Prison (PHOTOS)

As a racist, this should matter to you.

Or would you prefer we just dismiss any potential cases where that might be the case?

Rape is an act of violence, where force and coercion are used.

Getting drunk isn't rape. Perhaps there should be some laws on it, but rape it isn't.

there is nothing wrong, and he should repeat it loudly and often. e.g. as key note speaker at the convention.

Forum List

Back