What Is Wrong With This Car?

Madeline

Rookie
Apr 20, 2010
Cleveland. Feel mah pain.
My Buick Skylark is hesitating...badly. There are even moments I fear it will stall out rather than shift. I have had it checked, gotten the engine tuned up, changed the sparkplugs, etc.

My mechanic can't find anything wrong, but clearly something is.

Any ideas?

(Thankies, if you reply.)

Question.......when you put the spark plug wires back on the plugs, did you make sure the distributor cap was lined up properly? If you get the rotation out of order, your engine won't run worth shit.

I'd recommend a Chilton's manual for the proper sparkplug diagram.

• Banned
ABS, I misspoke. My mechanic did up the sparkplugs, not me. I can barely open the hood. I have this fear the transmission is going....could it just need fluid? (But surely, during a tuneup, they would have checked that?)

ABS, I misspoke. My mechanic did up the sparkplugs, not me. I can barely open the hood. I have this fear the transmission is going....could it just need fluid? (But surely, during a tuneup, they would have checked that?)

You know, that could be the problem as well. If the engine itself revs smooth and nice, but you just can't get the transmission to engage, definitely check the fluids (because there is a chance that they didn't).

But, if it's your transmission, you'd best have it checked out soon. They can screw up quick if left unattended.

You're not even remotely providing enough information to make an educated guess on the possible problem.

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Buick Skylark? They haven't made that car in like a hundred years. Time for a new one.

Meh, I've owned my car for almost 15 years. It works like a charm and doesn't look like a rolling rust pile. If it ain't broke, or the repairs once a year or so are less than an average monthly payment on a new one would cost, why fix it?

Get the transmission checked out and serviced ASAP, Maddy. I know it costs some time and money, but a hell of a lot less than a monthly payment and full coverage insurance on a new one should that transmission go.

Buick Skylark? They haven't made that car in like a hundred years. Time for a new one.

Meh, I've owned my car for almost 15 years. It works like a charm and doesn't look like a rolling rust pile. If it ain't broke, or the repairs once a year or so are less than an average monthly payment on a new one would cost, why fix it?

Get the transmission checked out and serviced ASAP, Maddy. I know it costs some time and money, but a hell of a lot less than a monthly payment and full coverage insurance on a new one should that transmission go.

A car is just a big purse that has stadium seating and moves.

Handbag+Purse+BMW+Car+Shape.jpg

My '88 ford has 115K miles on it.

I'm only going to junk it when a repair reaches above the $1k milestone. And since nearly nearly all the parts on the truck are less than $100, that may be a while. It would take a complete engine or transmission blowout to get above $1k.

Forum List

Back