What Is Wrong With This Car?

I drive a 72 Bronco. Will probably get another "new" truck next year (looking for a 62 Ford F100), but this Bronco was the first car I ever owned. Bought it in 78, paid $1200. Tore it up and rebuilt it 3 times, and now it is almost new again. Dropped a new engine in it 5 years ago (351W) and it now has 20,000 miles on it, but the odometer reads 368,000 :) Its been across the country 6 times, over 30 years, and frequently carried Bear Bryant duck hunting in Tallassee and Aliceville, Alabama. And Shug Jordan once too!

God do I love that truck!

Maddie, I agree. We "Car Talk" types need more info to properly diagnose your problem over the internet :)

Madeline your car most likely has the 3.1 or 3.3 engine in it.

They are a tough motor and 108 thousand miles it nothing.

Strollingbones may be correct that the fuel filter needs changing and a fuel additive added to the next tankful of gas.

If the fuel filters have never been changed. Then it's way past time to change them.

And that could easily be your car's problem.

Buick Skylark owner's seem to really have a fondness for their cars.

Cause they are usually trouble free and very dependable. :eusa_angel:

*kiss* keep it simple stupid

run some gas treatment thru that puppy....if you have water in your tank...etc...it will clean it out
Better yet; change out the fuel filter, and then run the gas treatment.

Chevron Textron fuel cleaner costs a few dollars more, but most mechanics rate it the best.

^^^This is my advice too.

Techron is good but IMO Seafoam is better.

My drive to work car is a 1995 Gran Prix that has 115 thousand miles on a 3.1 engine.

Dependable as a rock and low maintenance.

Last year the fuel economy had gotten really bad; from 20/28 to around 13/18

I installed new plugs, plug wires, filters, used fuel additive; nothing seemed to help.

Then my mechanic suggested a fuel injection/system clean out using a machine that he hooks up to the fuel lines and circulates for about an hour.

The service costs $150

My fuel economy immediatey went back to 20 in town/28 highway!!! :thup:

Do you guys realize that many manufacturers now offer ZERO percent interest rates on new models? That's for a car you know you're not going to have to worry about for the next five years or so. It's not the money for repairs that gets me, it's the not knowing that the damn thing is going to start and run right when I need it, which is every damn day. I'll pay for peace of mind.

My Buick has around 140,000 on it. It started wheezing, missing, lost power, died a few times, acted like it wasn't getting any gas. Replaced the fuel filter (which was so packed with shit that some valve or nut or something shot off it when they were removing it and hit the wall of the shop, narrowly missing one of the mechanic dude's head) and the catalytic converter. That was 2 years ago. I really thought the car was done for but it has run nicely ever since. I had my son do the last tune up on it; he took it up to the college and did the whole shebang under the supervision of his instructors and got a grade for it and all it cost me was a little money for rinky-dink parts. My engine light came on and wouldn't go off; that sort of worried us so he used his diagnostic...thing....and located that problem (catalytic converter repair tripped the mechanism).

Sometimes what feels like a really BIG issue ends up not being such a huge undertaking...though of course if you don't figure it out and deal with it, you're done for.

Could it need new spark plug wires needing replaced? But it is probably just because it is a buick :eusa_angel:

Sometimes a gas tank can have such huge issues, that it may need replaced. Especially in the boat style cars with four doors :lol:

Could it have rust in the gas tank?

I have driven boats all my life and have never replaced a gas tank, lol. Perhaps this is something particular to you, Pixie?

I love my Buick. But I will trade it in...I want a monstrous, diesel-guzzling Dodge...4 doors still, I hope. I don't believe in devolving. I am all about the next biggest thing.

Sometimes a gas tank can have such huge issues, that it may need replaced. Especially in the boat style cars with four doors :lol:

Could it have rust in the gas tank?
A new fuel filter should take care of rust problems in the tank if that is causing it.

Forum List

Back