What Is "Torture"?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
So the Dems, using the only vehicle they have left, are trotting out allegations of torture against the Bush Administration. We've been here before. In 2008 the administration released the "Torture Memos", papers detailing the Bush Administration's legal reasoning for their policies (similar papers for Obama's illegal amnesty are lacking).
Jay Bybee wrote the memo and :
It concludes that torture is only: extreme acts according to the Convention Against Torture; that severe pain (a requisite for this definition of torture) is "serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death"; that prolonged mental harm is harm that must last for "months or even years";
So merely inflicting pain is not torture. Merely threatning someone is not torture.
The Bush Administration and the US did not torture anyone. There were legal guidelines in place based on statute.
As usual the Bush-haters toss all that aside and rely on their own flawed reasoning.

More zoo noises from the right....Claudine, why don't you subject yourself to waterboarding and give us an expert opinion instead of an ex-spurt oh-pin-yawn?

What is Torture?

I'm glad someone posted this earlier saying that Liberals use these tactics:

Honest and Dishonest Debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Claiming well-defined words are vague or ill-defined.
This is a mirror image of #30. It is a favorite of those who do wrong but seek to avoid the consequences or responsibility by asserting that what is wright or wrong is merely a mater of each individual’s opinion. Try that in court and see how far its gets you. This is also akin to #22: rejecting facts or logic as mere opinion.

What is Torture?

I'm glad someone posted this earlier saying that Liberals use these tactics:

Honest and Dishonest Debate US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Claiming well-defined words are vague or ill-defined.
This is a mirror image of #30. It is a favorite of those who do wrong but seek to avoid the consequences or responsibility by asserting that what is wright or wrong is merely a mater of each individual’s opinion. Try that in court and see how far its gets you. This is also akin to #22: rejecting facts or logic as mere opinion.
My post is the opposite. I lay out a clear concise definition of the word, not "Man, how'd ya like done to you?"

So the Dems, using the only vehicle they have left, are trotting out allegations of torture against the Bush Administration. We've been here before. In 2008 the administration released the "Torture Memos", papers detailing the Bush Administration's legal reasoning for their policies (similar papers for Obama's illegal amnesty are lacking).

Man why did Obama release those torture memos in 2008?

Jay Bybee wrote the memo and :
It concludes that torture is only: extreme acts according to the Convention Against Torture; that severe pain (a requisite for this definition of torture) is "serious physical injury, such as organ failure, impairment of bodily function, or even death"; that prolonged mental harm is harm that must last for "months or even years";
  1. Changing the subject: debater is losing so he tries to redirect the attention of the audience to another subject area where he thinks he can look better relative to the person he is debating, but admits to no change of subject and pretends to be refuting the original on-subject statement of his opponent
I.E. No one cares that they had excuses.

1. Citing irrelevant facts or logic: this is another form of tactic Number 2 changing the subject

So merely inflicting pain is not torture. Merely threatning someone is not torture.
The Bush Administration and the US did not torture anyone. There were legal guidelines in place based on statute.
As usual the Bush-haters toss all that aside and rely on their own flawed reasoning.

According to the Bush Administration the Bush Administration didnt torture? LOL...uh ok

Waterboarding sure ain't torture.
Fails to rise to the definitions given in statute.

And yet it is a war crime.
Wrong. See the memo.

Bush Administration memos do nothing to abrogate international treaties.
True and irrelevant. The memos clarify what is allowed and what isnt.

They were wrong, water boarding is explicitly forbidden.....period. There are no extenuating circumstances.

Fails to rise to the definitions given in statute.

And yet it is a war crime.
Wrong. See the memo.

Bush Administration memos do nothing to abrogate international treaties.
True and irrelevant. The memos clarify what is allowed and what isnt.

They were wrong, water boarding is explicitly forbidden.....period. There are no extenuating circumstances.
Wow, you are marter than trained legal analysts working for the administration! Congratulations, big guy.

And to be completely honest I'm a little surprised that a man of your religious background and devotion to Christian moral precepts would countenance torture. Aren't we supposed to stand for something a little better....even under the worst of circumstances. Isn't that what makes Americans exceptional?

The bank robber didnt break the law and as proof I submit a memo written by the robber why its not a crime lol

The far left controlled Congress for 2 years under the Bush admiration, you would think they would have submitted bill after bill defining what "torture" "is"..

Forum List

Back