What is the purpose of government?

What is the primary purpose of government?

• To take care of people, to ensure we have to access to our basic needs

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • To protect our freedom to live as we want

Votes: 13 100.0%

• Total voters
Government works for We the People

Doesn't change a single thing about what I said.

Afraid it does
Government provides the services We the People demand......makes us the master

Randy Weaver moved far into the woods and demanded to be left alone. The government responded by killing members of his family (including a deliberate head shot by an experienced sniper on an unarmed mother as she held her infant with one arm while holding a door open) and the family dog in a cowardly attack.

You might want your name attached to that and the thousands of incidents of government sponsored murder, but not me. That government which governs least, governs best.
All he had to do is comply with a legal request
Instead, he went for his guns

Not true. He was not notified in a timely manner. You're leaving out the facts of the case. The government lost in court and Weaver was awarded a substantial amount of money. That money cannot bring back his family, however.
Weaver created an armed crisis that led to violence

My point is that if we make government our principal provider, it will be our master. Access to the things we need will depend on staying on good terms with whomever is in office.
They work for us

Some of us. So what?
All of us
Nope. Only the majority.
All of us
That's not the way democracy works.

What is the primary purpose of government?

To grow itself and amass power, as the expense of the poor saps foolish enough to believe that it's there to protect their lives and liberties.

The Founders were wrong....The State will never ever stay in its box.

Doesn't change a single thing about what I said.

Afraid it does

Randy Weaver moved far into the woods and demanded to be left alone. The government responded by killing members of his family (including a deliberate head shot by an experienced sniper on an unarmed mother as she held her infant with one arm while holding a door open) and the family dog in a cowardly attack.

You might want your name attached to that and the thousands of incidents of government sponsored murder, but not me. That government which governs least, governs best.

Not true. He was not notified in a timely manner. You're leaving out the facts of the case. The government lost in court and Weaver was awarded a substantial amount of money. That money cannot bring back his family, however.

This is way the Hell off the real topic, but you're full of shit. The problem started when the feds used their connections to local white supremacists for an introduction by Weaver to some guy whose name escapes me. Weaver would not work with the feds. Here is the Wikipedia account:

Weaver's original court date was Feb. 19 1991; it was changed to the following day, but Pretrial Services sent Weaver a notice citing the date as March 20. As a result, Weaver missed the hearing and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest, with the U.S. Marshals Service directed to serve it. The U.S. Marshals Service wanted to allow Weaver the opportunity to show up in court on March 20, but the U.S. Attorneys Office sought a grand jury indictment on March 14 for Weaver's failure to appear. This convinced Randy and Vicki Weaver that he had no chance of a fair hearing.

...Weaver was charged with multiple crimes relating to the Ruby Ridge incident – a total of ten counts, including the original firearms charges.

.. Weaver was found guilty of one count, failure to appear, for which Weaver was fined $10,000 and sentenced to 18 months in prison. He was credited with time served plus an additional three months, and was then released. Kevin Harris was acquitted of all criminal charges

Randy Weaver - Wikipedia

Weaver did nothing wrong and the games the feds played with him were attempted with me. Randy came to my house and told me how it would play out. As sure as Trump is president, those cowards tried the same thing with me - as I was the C.O. of a state civilian militia (the biggest in the country at the time) and they just wanted me out of the way - just as they did Randy. His misfortune saved my life. So, you can argue all you like. I happen to know, first hand what the facts are in that case. Now, let's get back on topic and move forward.

Afraid it does

This is way the Hell off the real topic, but you're full of shit. The problem started when the feds used their connections to local white supremacists for an introduction by Weaver to some guy whose name escapes me. Weaver would not work with the feds. Here is the Wikipedia account:

Weaver's original court date was Feb. 19 1991; it was changed to the following day, but Pretrial Services sent Weaver a notice citing the date as March 20. As a result, Weaver missed the hearing and a bench warrant was issued for his arrest, with the U.S. Marshals Service directed to serve it. The U.S. Marshals Service wanted to allow Weaver the opportunity to show up in court on March 20, but the U.S. Attorneys Office sought a grand jury indictment on March 14 for Weaver's failure to appear. This convinced Randy and Vicki Weaver that he had no chance of a fair hearing.

...Weaver was charged with multiple crimes relating to the Ruby Ridge incident – a total of ten counts, including the original firearms charges.

.. Weaver was found guilty of one count, failure to appear, for which Weaver was fined $10,000 and sentenced to 18 months in prison. He was credited with time served plus an additional three months, and was then released. Kevin Harris was acquitted of all criminal charges

Randy Weaver - Wikipedia

Weaver did nothing wrong and the games the feds played with him were attempted with me. Randy came to my house and told me how it would play out. As sure as Trump is president, those cowards tried the same thing with me - as I was the C.O. of a state civilian militia (the biggest in the country at the time) and they just wanted me out of the way - just as they did Randy. His misfortune saved my life. So, you can argue all you like. I happen to know, first hand what the facts are in that case. Now, let's get back on topic and move forward.
Weaver was scum
Deserved to be shot for jeopardizing his family

Randy Weaver - Wikipedia

Weaver was scum
Deserved to be shot for jeopardizing his family

You're an uninformed idiot that don't know what the Hell he's talking about.

You can't have it both ways.

why not?

It's the nature of dependency. If you depend on someone else for your needs, they have control over you. Everything has its price.
...we pay taxes for a variety of things....we have the power to vote jackasses out ,that use those taxes idiotically
..please give examples of dependency

Congress has had an approval rating of under 20% for decades now yet they keep getting elected.

A Government of the People, by the People and for the People

"No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him: and every man is under the natural duty of contributing to the necessities of the society; and this is all the laws should enforce on him: and, no man having a natural right to be the judge between himself and another, it is his natural duty to submit to the umpirage of an impartial third."
-- Thomas Jefferson; from letter to Francis Gilmer (June 7, 1816)

Forum List

Back