What is God?

What is God?
All Gods and deities and related items are fictional characters created by man in his own image, for his own amusement. Sorta like Batman, Klingons, Jim Rockford or any other fictional character you can name.

What is God?
All Gods and deities and related items are fictional characters created by man in his own image, for his own amusement. Sorta like Batman, Klingons, Jim Rockford or any other fictional character you can name.

Jim Rockford ROCKED!... Heresy, I say!... HERESY!

rockford-files.jpg

:)

peace...

What is God?

rockford-files.jpg

peace...
Friends called me "Rockford" and "Rockfish" for years, because I was a PI, had same car and same pickup his dad had, and lived in a trailer! True story.

rockford-files.jpg

peace...
Friends called me "Rockford" and "Rockfish" for years, because I was a PI, had same car and same pickup his dad had, and lived in a trailer! True story.

When I was in School for what I do now, I had a Dream of having a 5th Wheel at the Dock where my Boat was in the Pacific Northwest... And a fat ride to drive.

True Story!... Well, the Dream was... :lol:

peace...

A ball of light?
An energy source?
I can't say for sure, but I do know that God is Love.
Love is the highest thing there is and God is Love and God is the highest thing there is.

It was the One Intelligence, the Higher Power that created the Universe. God is everywhere and in everything. It ... God ... is within all of us. We are all connected on a spiritual ... a soul level.

So...

to you god is just a pretend being.

Possibly an alien?

What do you base your supposition that he's not humanoid? (humanoid? Really did you say that? Lol)

Here's my understanding of Madeline's view of God. He is not a person, and doesn't look like a man. He is genderless. He is eternal, omnipresent being. He is not a creator or a savior and in no way intervenes in our lives.

Madeline's view as a deist is the closest view to Buddhism I've encountered in a non-buddhist.

Nothing in Madeline's post in any way refers to God as an alien. Why is it so hard to comprehend that others see God different from you? There is no one right way to view God. If there were, there would be only one religion.

Sorry, when someone refers to an all-powerful, non-humanoid being I just assume "alien". People prefer aliens to a *humanoid* I guess.

lg04alien02017.jpg

And I don't have trouble accepting that people view God differently. I understand that they do. My question is ... why would you rather put your faith in a completely subjective fantasy, rather than explore the perfect God we already know about?

It's arrogant.

First, I think the alien in the pic would be considered humanoid. It is basically shaped like a human.

Second, saying that you know about the perfect god and someone else's view of god is just subjective fantasy is arrogant.

I can't say for sure, but I do know that God is Love.
I've never denied the existence of Gods and deities. They exist -- in the human heart. Therefore they can be and are everything we ourselves are. I am glad to see you are love.

Thank you MM. Nice to see you. ( insert a rather large heart HERE ) Can we get a heart smiley please! Maybe a broken one too, for those in pain.

Marie--

I wanted to add that before I got into Buddhism I had to go through a period of time of renouncing the RCC. While I was in that stage, I had the good fortune to read a book by a man named Murdo MacDonald Bayne called I AM THE LIFE. Dr. Bayne was a scottish Christian minister who traveled to Tibet and studied with Buddhist masters. He used the New Testament to explain Buddhist principles and brought the most amount of peace I've ever experienced with seeing the beauty of Christian principles but in a Buddhist way.

It just so happened that the Buddha's path spoke to me more directly. I love MacDonald Bayne and would love to talk about Christianity in a mystical way with someone sometime.

I just haven't met the right Christians yet.

You have that chance every day. But when you bait, and then mock, some people are going to move on, and leave you to Buddha.

I can hear you giggling when I tell you that God talks to me.

It doesn't affect my faith in God, not at all.

But it does affect my faith in you.

People who start a discussion of religion as a guise to attack other people's religion is not new to me (though I don't ever recall it being a Buddhist leveling the attacks). I've often wondered why they do it, and I've come to the conclusion that it is because whatever their faith is (Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, All forms of Protestantism, and now we can add Buddhism) it isn't strong enough for them to be comfortable in their life and confident of their faith.

When your faith is solid, you truly will not care what other people think, because you will understand that faith, ALL faith, is a uniquely personal thing, and allowing others to have their faith is the nature of faith itself.

What works for me will not work for you, and vice versa.

And the reason for that is God. He isn't the same spirit to each of us. His affect on your life is custom tailored to your life, your experience, your knowledge. To you, he is Buddha, or Buddhism. To me, he is that omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being which seems to frustrate you so.

He talks to me. A lot.

And I know people laugh when I say that. But to NOT say it, when it is undeniably, unequivocally true, would make me "not a good friend."

Roll in the floor, pee your pants, call me insane. I'll keep listening for him.

He speaks to me, just as he speaks to everyone.

But if you don't have true faith, you cannot hear him.

Yet :)

Marie-

Here is one of my old time favorite poems written by Christian minister Murdo MacDonald Bayne from his book, I AM THE LIFE

I thought I'd share it with you because you are so deeply into your Christian path and this kind of bridges my own transistion.

"He who lives in Truth is not afraid to proclaim the Truth. He is strong, he is full of
optimism. He looks for the bright side in all things. In the darkest corners he makes the
sun shine. He walks through life with a smile. He sings the song of joy
His faith is in the Absolute who lives in and through him. He carries a message of hope
and courage and loves all life. He gives help where and when it is needed. He helps
others to help themselves. He is free from fear and worry, always forgiving, always
tolerant. He is devoid of hate, envy and malice. He radiates love to all the world and
minds his own business and expects others to do the same. He goes joyfully through
life, things that drive others to despair and misery leave him in a calm undisturbed state
of mind. His peace comes from within. He is like the ocean which receives all streams
and rivers yet the ocean’s mighty calm is unmoved. Those who contact him feel his
presence and receive encouragement.
He attracts love and friends; not that he desires them, because he does not
depend on people and things, but these things come to him as his right. He
acknowledges the Law and the Law responds. He is at home with all classes of people,
the rich and the poor are all alike to him. He does not favour one more than the other;
he is not interested in what they have. All are equally at home with him. He is welcome
in all homes, and children cling to his hands and coat.
He loves life and life responds. Sinner and saint are the same to him, he sees the
good in the sinner and does not look for a weakness in the saint. He knows that he
himself is not without sin and so he never casts the stone. The outcast recognises him
as a brother. The woman who has passed through the furnace of life trusts him. He
gives of his love and wisdom and points the way to happiness.
He heals the heart and relieves the troubled mind. God never holds His love from
His most disobedient child, neither does He hold that love of God from his brother or
sister. He neither pities nor condemns because he knows all are conquerors if they will
to conquer. He finds joy in his work; he never hurries nor can he be rushed. He knows
that time does not control him: he is attuned to the eternal.
He has absolute faith in the absolute power of which he has become aware. He
knows he is one with all life, and behind him is the power of the universe. He believes in
the all good. Divine justice is his key to all situations. He is simple, loving and kind. He
recognises that to attain wisdom one must be humble and when wisdom is mastered
one must be humbler still. He is the future’s promise of a better world to come.
You can join in this promise too, open yourself, do not
resist; receive the true blessing of wisdom and understanding, through your love and
service to others. Then you will become as He who knows."

Murdo MacDonald Bayne from I Am the Life.

You have that chance every day. But when you bait, and then mock, some people are going to move on, and leave you to Buddha.

People who start a discussion of religion as a guise to attack other people's religion is not new to me (though I don't ever recall it being a Buddhist leveling the attacks). I've often wondered why they do it, and I've come to the conclusion that it is because whatever their faith is (Judaism, Catholicism, Islam, All forms of Protestantism, and now we can add Buddhism) it isn't strong enough for them to be comfortable in their life and confident of their faith.

When your faith is solid, you truly will not care what other people think, because you will understand that faith, ALL faith, is a uniquely personal thing, and allowing others to have their faith is the nature of faith itself.

And the reason for that is God. He isn't the same spirit to each of us. His affect on your life is custom tailored to your life, your experience, your knowledge. To you, he is Buddha, or Buddhism. To me, he is that omnipotent, omniscient, omnipresent being which seems to frustrate you so.

He talks to me. A lot.

And I know people laugh when I say that. But to NOT say it, when it is undeniably, unequivocally true, would make me "not a good friend."

I would never laugh at your belief that God talks to you Mini. Unknown to so many, we all have an Inner Voice that is connected to God. If folks just took the time to sit quiet, go within and listen, they too could talk with God.

Great post Mini.
:clap2:

Marie--

I wanted to add that before I got into Buddhism I had to go through a period of time of renouncing the RCC. While I was in that stage, I had the good fortune to read a book by a man named Murdo MacDonald Bayne called I AM THE LIFE. Dr. Bayne was a scottish Christian minister who traveled to Tibet and studied with Buddhist masters. He used the New Testament to explain Buddhist principles and brought the most amount of peace I've ever experienced with seeing the beauty of Christian principles but in a Buddhist way.

It just so happened that the Buddha's path spoke to me more directly. I love MacDonald Bayne and would love to talk about Christianity in a mystical way with someone sometime.

I just haven't met the right Christians yet.

He talks to me. A lot.

I'm sorry you chose to hear my question to you about how does God talk to you as mockery. I asked because I'm interested i knowing how it works for you. Maybe you can't really describe it.

That's ok.

I'm trying to find common ground. In my tradition, we pray, and then we meditate silently. Sometimes after the practice insights arise about what was contemplated. Is that how it is for you?

My understanding of God comes from Buddhist teachings. In Buddhist teachings, there is no Creator God, or God who is a personal savior or forgiver of sins. We are enjoined to purify our own minds and hearts through prayer, contemplation and meditation. It is up to us, not something we turn over to an external deity.

We are seeking inseparability, Buddha nature itself and to reside in that nature moment to moment, 24/7.

Sorry for any misunderstanding. I mean you no harm. I know you are sincere.

sky

Yes, Sky. We've all been witnesses to the perfect peace and enlightenment your faith has brought you.

Obviously you have no issues with Christianity. Live and let live. Perfectly happy with your choice and all that. That is why you insist on continually blathering on about it.

I have issues with the RCC. Why? I am still working through the trauma of being raised a Catholic.

I think you're being a tad over dramatic.

Yes, Sky. We've all been witnesses to the perfect peace and enlightenment your faith has brought you.

Obviously you have no issues with Christianity. Live and let live. Perfectly happy with your choice and all that. That is why you insist on continually blathering on about it.

I have issues with the RCC. Why? I am still working through the trauma of being raised a Catholic.

You don't know my experiences with the RCC Church and with my family who were supposedly devout. I co-facilitated a women's group of Raised Catholics. The goal was to either reconcile with the Church or leave. My co-facilatator stayed and I left.

You can doubt my experience all you wish. I lived it.

It's my truth.

Never said I don't doubt it.

I'm Catholic, never had a problem of reconciling or leaving. nor did anyone in my family.

Maybe it was where you grew up or the time, either way I'm not a devout Catholic, I prefer to call my self a Independent Catholic.

You don't know my experiences with the RCC Church and with my family who were supposedly devout. I co-facilitated a women's group of Raised Catholics. The goal was to either reconcile with the Church or leave. My co-facilatator stayed and I left.

It's my truth.

Your experiences with the RCC, whatever they may be, is in the past. The past can not be changed. Let it go. Release your past with Love and forgiveness. Forgive yourself for becoming a victim of the RCC and set yourself free.

Why keep bringing it up? If you've moved on to a better place, a religion that better suits you, great! Let the past go.

It's my truth.

Your experiences with the RCC, whatever they may be, is in the past. The past can not be changed. Let it go. Release your past with Love and forgiveness. Forgive yourself for becoming a victim of the RCC and set yourself free.

Why keep bringing it up? If you've moved on to a better place, a religion that better suits you, great! Let the past go.

You're right. I won't mention the RCC or offer any opinions about Christianity ever again. Take care.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back