What is being done about this ?

maxresdefault.jpg
Corporate welfare in action ....
Our state has done so with tax incentives for long term jobs and initial investments.............and it has worked.

That particular may not provide the long term jobs as ours did though. Bang for the buck. 1.3 Billion in the area and those providing the building materials isn't anything to snicker about.

So you're in favor of Crony Capitalism?

They have allowed Monopolies to exist via picking the winners and losers in the Market
I don't understand. Can you explain?
Create laws or rules that favor one over the other. Incentives to political donors.....others.........not so much.........guaranteeing the winner of competition is in their pocket.

Tie a chain to one company..........lower the bar for others.
Do you have specifics? I thought the problem stemmed from patent laws. If a company creates a drug , they own it and effectively have a monopoly on it. It doesn't matter how many other companies exist.

Our state has done so with tax incentives for long term jobs and initial investments.............and it has worked.

That particular may not provide the long term jobs as ours did though. Bang for the buck. 1.3 Billion in the area and those providing the building materials isn't anything to snicker about.

Nope..............In the case of our state the manufacturers were going to invest in this country.....States were offering incentives for investing in Alabama versus Georgia..............as an example..............

Why............to get the foreign investment and jobs here instead of there. Competition wasn't a factor in this equation. It was trying to win over foreign investment in the state. In Alabama the investment came with a contracted GUARANTEE of a SET NUMBER OF JOBS.........and the incentives were for the growth period of the auto plants only.

Didn't pick or choose the winner here..............just competed for investment that was gonna happen anyway.

Nope..............In the case of our state the manufacturers were going to invest in this country.....States were offering incentives for investing in Alabama versus Georgia..............as an example..............

Why............to get the foreign investment and jobs here instead of there. Competition wasn't a factor in this equation. It was trying to win over foreign investment in the state. In Alabama the investment came with a contracted GUARANTEE of a SET NUMBER OF JOBS.........and the incentives were for the growth period of the auto plants only.

Didn't pick or choose the winner here..............just competed for investment that was gonna happen anyway.

The losers are the people who don't get the perks. States shouldn't be allowed to sacrifice equal protection in their zeal to appease wealthy investors.

They have allowed Monopolies to exist via picking the winners and losers in the Market
Create laws or rules that favor one over the other. Incentives to political donors.....others.........not so much.........guaranteeing the winner of competition is in their pocket.

Do you have specifics? I thought the problem stemmed from patent laws. If a company creates a drug , they own it and effectively have a monopoly on it. It doesn't matter how many other companies exist.
FDA Generic Drug Rejection, Approval Rates Tell a Conflicting Story

Pharma companies fight behind-the-scenes wars over generic drugs

Eighty percent of the growth in profits in 2015 among the 20 largest drug companies resulted from price increases, rather than from the addition of new products. Between 2010 and 2014, prices for the 30 best-selling drugs in the U.S. rose eight times faster than inflation. Americans bear the brunt of these increases. For example, the liver failure drug Syprine, which costs less than $400 a year in some countries, has a list price around $300,000 in the United States. As an executive at the drug company Sanofi noted bluntly, “Everybody has to make money. Should it be surprising? We do serve different stakeholders.”

The temptation to avoid generic competition can be overpowering. Delaying generic competition for as little as six months can be worth half a billion dollars in sales for a blockbuster drug. As pharma executive and bad boy Martin Shkrelionce tweeted in 2012, “Every time a drug goes generic, I grieve.” Given the value of holding off generic competition, drug companies string out a variety of delay games, one after another, each adding a little more time for the brand-name drug to flourish without generic competition. As I noted when testifying in Congressabout such strategies, “a billion here, a billion there, that adds up to real money, and the taxpayers are paying.

This isn't health care related but its related to the fact that pino trump is a kleptocrat.

The trumpkins are thrilled about this too

0dd983881a9c1e25c373c040d01c66a3.jpg

And once again you show your ignorance and sheepish brain to accept whatever some leftist site throws at you.
Question....how do you give a tax cut to people who already have a NEGATIVE tax liability????

Go back to the basement

The losers are the people who don't get the perks. States shouldn't be allowed to sacrifice equal protection in their zeal to appease wealthy investors.
The winners are the people getting the jobs.

As Alabama tries to lure Toyota-Mazda plant, a look at past incentive packages

Pharmaceuticals / Health Products: Lobbying, 2016 | OpenSecrets

Total for Pharmaceuticals/Health Products: $248,733,749
Total Number of Clients Reported: 376
Total Number of Lobbyists Reported: 1,380
Total Number of Revolvers: 915 (66.3%)

Pharmaceuticals / Health Products: Top Recipients | OpenSecrets

Top 20 Recipients
1 Clinton, Hillary (D) $2,078,033
2 Burr, Richard (R-NC) Senate $426,181
3 Ryan, Paul (R-WI) House $395,174
4 Portman, Rob (R-OH) Senate $388,896
5 Murray, Patty (D-WA) Senate $345,644

psst..........Hey FDA..........don't allow competition and I'll give you a dollar.

FDA Drug Approvals Drop in 2016

The FDA approved the lowest amount of new drugs since 2010 last year, with only 22 new drugs receiving approval. This number is a little more than half of the 45 new drugs approved in 2015.

In contrast, the European Medicines Agency recommended 81 new drugs last year, compared with 93 recommended in 2015, Reuters reported. However, this discrepancy may be due to the FDA leaving generic drugs out of the approval list.

This slowdown in approvals could suggest that the pharmaceutical industry is restoring its activity to levels to those seen before the boom in approvals in 2014 and 2015.
49jedv.gif

There oughta be pragmatism, common sense, and the acknowledgement of the fact that the free market system isn’t perfect, and shouldn’t be applied to every aspect of human enterprise – such as healthcare.

Why's that? How is freedom incompatible with health care?

Why do you put up with this abuse ? Freedom or something ?

insulin-cost-650x457.jpg

Ridiculous that we pay so much more, but just for a better understanding, are the lower prices effected by regulations in those countries, or are they set by market forces? Do our US laws actively help in outrageous profits, or do they just not bother to prevent them?
I do not know the answer to that. What I do know is that there is only one customer for diabetes medication in the UK so its a big market for any drug company. I suspect that there is a fragmented approach in the US so the companies charge a bit more. Doesnt explain all of it though.
Do drug patents run out in the US ? In the UK they do and anybody is free to market a drug under a generic brand.

Why do you put up with this abuse ? Freedom or something ?

insulin-cost-650x457.jpg

Ridiculous that we pay so much more, but just for a better understanding, are the lower prices effected by regulations in those countries, or are they set by market forces? Do our US laws actively help in outrageous profits, or do they just not bother to prevent them?
I do not know the answer to that. What I do know is that there is only one customer for diabetes medication in the UK so its a big market for any drug company. I suspect that there is a fragmented approach in the US so the companies charge a bit more. Doesnt explain all of it though.
Do drug patents run out in the US ? In the UK they do and anybody is free to market a drug under a generic brand.
The EU subsidizes drugs to member nations.........and now England is being threatened to lose those subsidies because of Brexit..............The article I read said England is now thinking of tying to the FDA in the United States for that reason. VAT taxes and other taxes help lower the cost on the surface but are paid as well.

Subscribe to read

Please use the sharing tools found via the email icon at the top of articles. Copying articles to share with others is a breach of FT.com T&Cs and Copyright Policy. Email [email protected] to buy additional rights. Subscribers may share up to 10 or 20 articles per month using the gift article service. More information can be found here.
Subscribe to read

In response, the EU industry leaders said they would like to “explore this possibility to maintain close regulatory ties between the EU and the UK and to begin those discussions immediately”. Wednesday’s letter was signed by the heads of the European Federation of Pharmaceutical Industries and Associations, EuropaBio, the Association of the British Pharmaceutical Industry and the BioIndustry Association. Leaders of the UK and European generic drugs industry also signed the letter. They said authorisations to market medicines, granted by the European Commission on the recommendation of the EMA while the UK was still a member of the EU, should continue to apply for the sale of medicines in the UK and Europe post-Brexit. They also called for cross-border trade in medicines to continue post-Brexit, saying the industry needed “as much certainty as possible, as early as possible”. Signatories, including Steve Bates, chief executive of the BIA, and Mike Thompson, chief executive of the ABPI, wrote: “In the case of an unorderly withdrawal there is a risk that all goods due to be moved between the UK and EU could be held either at border checks, in warehouses or manufacturing and/or subject to extensive retesting requirements.

aka............EU trying to Blackmail the UK for leaving the EU.

Everything you need to know about the EU agencies leaving London because of Brexit

The EU May Need to Introduce a Bloc-Wide Tax After Brexit

The European Union should consider introducing common taxes as it seeks to overhaul its budget and cover a more-than 10 billion-euro ($11.4 billion) annual financing holecreated by Brexit, the bloc’s executive arm said.

Even though the withdrawal of the U.K. “will signify the loss of an important partner and contributor to the financing of EU policies and programs,” it will also “remove some obstacles to reform on the revenue side of the EU budget,” the European Commissionsaid on Wednesday.

Eighty percent of the growth in profits in 2015 among the 20 largest drug companies resulted from price increases, rather than from the addition of new products. Between 2010 and 2014, prices for the 30 best-selling drugs in the U.S. rose eight times faster than inflation. Americans bear the brunt of these increases. For example, the liver failure drug Syprine, which costs less than $400 a year in some countries, has a list price around $300,000 in the United States. As an executive at the drug company Sanofi noted bluntly, “Everybody has to make money. Should it be surprising? We do serve different stakeholders.”

The temptation to avoid generic competition can be overpowering. Delaying generic competition for as little as six months can be worth half a billion dollars in sales for a blockbuster drug. As pharma executive and bad boy Martin Shkrelionce tweeted in 2012, “Every time a drug goes generic, I grieve.” Given the value of holding off generic competition, drug companies string out a variety of delay games, one after another, each adding a little more time for the brand-name drug to flourish without generic competition. As I noted when testifying in Congressabout such strategies, “a billion here, a billion there, that adds up to real money, and the taxpayers are paying.
I thought protecting property was a primary responsibility of government. Now you claim that in doing so the government is picking winners and losers. Isn't the winner the one that invented the drug (property) to begin? Being first isn't the definition of winning anymore?

I thought protecting property was a primary responsibility of government. Now you claim that in doing so the government is picking winners and losers. Isn't the winner the one that invented the drug (property) to begin? Being first isn't the definition of winning anymore?
fy2017-nih-budget.JPG

Pharma gets money from the gov't............44% up to 60% of the R & D costs historically............And Pharma doesn't spend all that it's claiming on R & D........Marketing as an example.........

It's Wall Street, not development costs that determine drug pricing.

The company drew public ire when it priced the hepatitis C drug Sovaldi at $84,000 after buying its developer for $11 billion. Last week, it agreed to pay $11.9 billion for Kite Pharma, whose non-Hodgkin lymphoma treatment will sport a price tag above $500,000.

Don't let the wow factors behind this new drug—personalized medicine, a one-time treatment course, potentially curative—mask what's actually driving its price. It's Wall Street, not the cost of developing the drug or its medical value.

Since its creation in 2012, Kite Pharma spent just $304.3 million in developing CAR-T (chimeric antigen receptor T-cell) therapies, which work by genetically modifying a cancer patient's immune cells to fight a specific cancer. The company was formed by Dr. Arie Belldegrun, a former National Cancer Institute employee, who will clear $600 million in the deal. He licensed two of the four key technologies behind the new drug from the National Institutes of Health or NIH-funded institutions, and signed a cooperative research and development agreement with NIH-funded scientists to conduct the clinical trials.

Gilead/Kite will recoup its R&D investment after treating just 600 non-Hodgkin lymphoma patients (about 20,000 terminally ill patients will be eligible for treatment each year). Insurers, health systems and taxpayers (who already funded the research) will continue paying the return on Gilead's $11.9 billion investment until the last government-funded patent runs out in 2027.

So we help fund the R & D..................then they say look what we did........and they do find cures..........and charge out the ass for it..........including to major uses like Medicare.............and the Gov't pays out the ass for the new drug that tax payers helped develop.

Yes they should get to recover their costs plus profits for research...........but please don't tell me they did it all by their lonesome.

So we help fund the R & D..................then they say look what we did........and they do find cures..........and charge out the ass for it..........including to major uses like Medicare.............and the Gov't pays out the ass for the new drug that tax payers helped develop.

Yes they should get to recover their costs plus profits for research...........but please don't tell me they did it all by their lonesome.
d81.jpg

I wonder how many people in the US pay for insulin out of pocket?

Forum List

Back