What is a vital U.S. Interest?

The Rabbi

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2009
Nashville
The libs here, and their fellow travelling narco-libertarians, maintain that Ukraine is not a vital US interest and we need to stay away.
So what is a vital U.S. interest? Philippines? Cuba? Hawaii? California? At what point is action of any kind a necessity?

The libs here, and their fellow travelling narco-libertarians, maintain that Ukraine is not a vital US interest and we need to stay away.
So what is a vital U.S. interest? Philippines? Cuba? Hawaii? California? At what point is action of any kind a necessity?

We do not have a national interest in making sure the EU gets favorable trade agreements.

We do not have a national interest in making sure the EU gets favorable trade agreements.

That doesnt answer my question, m'kay?

Philippines: Nope.

Cuba: Nope.

Hawaii: Yep.

California: Yep.

At what point is action of any kind a necessity?
When someone threatens the actual U.S., including its formally recognized territories/districts, or a country with which we have a border that asks for our support.

What is a vital U.S. Interest? The libs here, and their fellow travelling narco-libertarians, maintain that Ukraine is not a vital US interest and we need to stay away.
To liberate itself from Eskimo banking cartel

When someone threatens the actual U.S., including its formally recognized territories/districts, or a country with which we have a border that asks for our support.
OK. The lesson of Afghanistan is that isnt true. We were engaged in Afghanistan. Then we pulled out. Afghanistan literally was shorthand for the other side of the universe that no one cared about. Most people didnt even know where it was.
Then we suffered the biggest attack on US soil since WW2, orchestrated from Afghanistan, that place we abandoned.
So attacks can come from anywhere these days.

Nothing defines our way of life like our use of energy. Right now oil is the worlds most vital interest.

OK. The lesson of Afghanistan is that isnt true. We were engaged in Afghanistan. Then we pulled out. Afghanistan literally was shorthand for the other side of the universe that no one cared about. Most people didnt even know where it was.
Then we suffered the biggest attack on US soil since WW2, orchestrated from Afghanistan, that place we abandoned.

so you think we should police the entire world? get involved in every civil war and border dispute? make enemies instead of trading partners? force others to accept our way of life---or else?

How about the lesson of viet nam? 58,000 dead americans and billions of dollars---exactly how did that serve the national interest of the USA?

so you think we should police the entire world? get involved in every civil war and border dispute? make enemies instead of trading partners? force others to accept our way of life---or else?

How about the lesson of viet nam? 58,000 dead americans and billions of dollars---exactly how did that serve the national interest of the USA?

How about answering the question, Conrad?

Nothing defines our way of life like our use of energy. Right now oil is the worlds most vital interest.

Yes, but only because we have an insane energy policy in this country. We could be energy self sufficient and actually sell to the rest of the world-----but no, because fossil fuels are evil and are destroying the world, causing the seas to rise, crops to die, polar bears to cry, and eskimos to lose their igloos ! of course none of that is true----but you fools believe it to our detriment.

Phillipines no
Cuba yes, but only because it is 90 miles from our coast
Hawaii yes
california, yes, unless the mexicans want to buy it.

I did, now answer mine--------how did viet nam serve the national interests of the USA?

I did, now answer mine--------how did viet nam serve the national interests of the USA?

Where was your answer defining what a vital US interest is? All I saw was you putting words in my mouth. Either answer the question and start a dialogue or shut the fuck up and go post somewhere else.

Where was your answer defining what a vital US interest is? All I saw was you putting words in my mouth. Either answer the question and start a dialogue or shut the fuck up and go post somewhere else.

I answered your original question in post #14. But let me expand. Our national interest is when the physical land of the USA or its possessions or allies is threatened, when US citizens abroad are threatened, or when our financial, infrastructure, or security systems are threatened.

We have no national interest in trying to prevent the people of crimea from deciding their own fate.

I'm not an anarchist or a liberal, so you missed some of us. I actually doubt many libertarians at all are with you on this one. I do like how you consider people who want no government and ubiquitous government as "fellow traveling" though...

I answered your original question in post #14. But let me expand. Our national interest is when the physical land of the USA or its possessions or allies is threatened, when US citizens abroad are threatened, or when our financial, infrastructure, or security systems are threatened.

We have no national interest in trying to prevent the people of crimea from deciding their own fate.

Post #14 was not an answer. But anyway.
Would Russia taking over other countries in E.Europe constitute a threat? Recall that, what is it, Lithuania and Estonia? are NATO members, thus technically allies.

Post #14 was not an answer. But anyway.
Would Russia taking over other countries in E.Europe constitute a threat? Recall that, what is it, Lithuania and Estonia? are NATO members, thus technically allies.

Yes, it would constitute a threat. How does equating countries that are actively engaged in joint defense through NATO and ones that are not make sense? Are we to defend every country in the world because, well, the NEXT one could be an ally!?!?!

Forum List

Back