What is a Palestinian?

Semper Fi

VIP Member
Nov 25, 2003
Wisconsin
I'm trying to figure out the whole Isreal/ Palestine conflict, because it's obviously a big deal and isnt going away any time soon. So don't laugh at me for my stupid questions! Oh yeah, if you have anything else to inform me please go ahead and throw it on in!

Semper Fi said:
I'm trying to figure out the whole Isreal/ Palestine conflict, because it's obviously a big deal and isnt going away any time soon. So don't laugh at me for my stupid questions! Oh yeah, if you have anything else to inform me please go ahead and throw it on in!

An Arab war refugee who has no real place to call home and no one wants to take into their country.

dilloduck said:
An Arab war refugee who has no real place to call home and no one wants to take into their country.

From which war(s)? And they live in Isreal, Gaza, and West Bank, correct? And "Palestine" isnt really a place?

Palestine is derived from the word "Philistine." Biblically, Palestinians are another punishment the Jews suffer for disobeying God. God told Israel to wipe out all of the Canaanites. The Philistines were the ones the Jews didn't finish off, and they've been causing the Jews nothing but trouble ever since. Now, you may or may not believe in this legend, but it is interesting, nonetheless.

Hobbit said:
Palestine is derived from the word "Philistine." Biblically, Palestinians are another punishment the Jews suffer for disobeying God. God told Israel to wipe out all of the Canaanites. The Philistines were the ones the Jews didn't finish off, and they've been causing the Jews nothing but trouble ever since. Now, you may or may not believe in this legend, but it is interesting, nonetheless.

Yeah that is interesting. What's a Canaanite? So is Palestine or Philistine a geographical area or something else?

I'm going to revive this thread in light of the recencies. Where is Palestine, geographically? Is it what is called then West Bank and Gaza?

Semper Fi said:
I'm going to revive this thread in light of the recencies. Where is Palestine, geographically? Is it what is called then West Bank and Gaza?
There is no Palestine. They believe they should have the land currently called Israel.

Kathianne said:
There is no Palestine. They believe they should have the land currently called Israel.

So how did Hamas be elected? They weren't elected in "Israel" as it is geopolitically, did all the people that call themselves Palestinians one day decide to vote for who they think should rule their "land?"

Semper Fi said:
So how did Hamas be elected? They weren't elected in "Israel" as it is geopolitically, did all the people that call themselves Palestinians one day decide to vote for who they think should rule their "land?"
They are in a position of being more like a protectorate. No country 'wants' them, including the Arabs. But, the people that go by the name 'Palestinians' have been given the West Bank and the vote. Funny thing, they were better off years ago, when they could work and raise their families in peace.

Unfortunately, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

Kathianne said:
They are in a position of being more like a protectorate. No country 'wants' them, including the Arabs. But, the people that go by the name 'Palestinians' have been given the West Bank and the vote. Funny thing, they were better off years ago, when they could work and raise their families in peace.

Unfortunately, they never miss an opportunity to miss an opportunity.

So they do have land, the west bank, right? And by vote, I'm assuming you don't mean a vote in Israeli politics? Man this is so confusing...why does CNN always mention palestine if there is none?

Semper Fi said:
So they do have land, the west bank, right? And by vote, I'm assuming you don't mean a vote in Israeli politics? Man this is so confusing...why does CNN always mention palestine if there is none?
They have been given land, they control, but is not theirs. That's part of Gaza. Now keep in mind, that Israel is all of 9 miles wide, at the widest part.

See the problem? When Iran speaks of wiping them off the map, well not much there to begin with. The vote was for representation of the people, not Israel. Yeah, it's more than confusing.

Oh I see. So the palestinians have a "state" of their own (by state I mean states like alabama and mississippi, not a nation)? And Israel is only 9 miles wide? I could make that my morning run if I was an Israeli. :cool:

Semper Fi said:
Oh I see. So the palestinians have a "state" of their own (by state I mean states like alabama and mississippi, not a nation)? And Israel is only 9 miles wide? I could make that my morning run if I was an Israeli. :cool:
Nope. They currently 'control' no land. They were offered and rejected land several times, through their leadership. Seems they have a problem with Israel having land. They have been 'given' some land, allowed to control it, but could lose that.

Kathianne said:
Nope. They currently 'control' no land. They were offered and rejected land several times, through their leadership. Seems they have a problem with Israel having land. They have been 'given' some land, allowed to control it, but could lose that.

AHHHHHHHHHHHHH thats so confusing! So the palestinians control the land, but it is not theirs? Ok back up, Hamas got elected, as the government of what?

Semper Fi said:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHH thats so confusing! So the palestinians control the land, but it is not theirs? Ok back up, Hamas got elected, as the government of what?

The 'Palestinian People'. Israel has 'ceded' the land, but can regain control at will.

Kathianne said:
The 'Palestinian People'. Israel has 'ceded' the land, but can regain control at will.

Ok, that makes more sense. Seriously. But if the palestinians are not in control, why did they go so far as to hold elections?

Semper Fi said:
Ok, that makes more sense. Seriously. But if the palestinians are not in control, why did they go so far as to hold elections?

Again, they have been offered 'land' but refused it. The US is trying, in my opinion in current political reality, wrongly, to broker a solution, commonly called the 'two state solution'. Now they have a government to lead them, but one where the majority is recognized as a terrorist group, which the US currently will not deal with.

Semper Fi said:
So they don't officially recognize it as their land, but elected a government through it?

Not exactly. Arafat was 'elected' though the elections weren't as clear. They didn't have any of the Gaza then. I guess you could equate more with 'student government'. You can have an election, with chosen officers. Then the principal/superintendent can override. Not that Israel could/should do such, but kind of the same premise, sorta. The school is in the control of principal/superintendent.

Forum List

Back