What is a moderate muslim?

Either spelling is acceptable.
Have fun defending Muslims.
Allah blesses you.
Or, to make your heart sing:
Assalamu alaikum.

Allah' kum Salam.
I see you looked it up after making just a little ass of yourself and realizing "Oh crap, he's right".
I had to learn the basic tenets of all major religions in college. And I definitely know more about the Bible that you do. That doesn't mean my interpretation is any more or less valid, it just means I have more education on the subject.

As far as defending the (Muslim) folks we go have a beer and shoot pool with? The friends we play tennis with? Perhaps you don't defend your friends if it is inconvenient or politically unpopular. I do.

And besides, I'm just not that fond of ignorance.

Looked what up? I don't recall you being right about anything.

I love how overtly conceited you are on the matter. You know nothing about me. I'll share that my child is 1/4 Pakistani, my in laws are Muslim, my brother is married to a Muslim, my niece, the majority of my co-workers...

But I'm guessing you know everything, and spend your nights flipping back and forth between the Bible and Koran.

Wait! And they haven't killed you in your sleep for being an Infidel as you claim???? Phew! Well that's nice of them. I suppose because your family, they'll wait until your 50 or something.

I dont think so... terrorist and jihadist are the far end of the scale, a 10, but still fall under muslim.

It is a simple question... what is a moderate muslim? I gave a scale.

I have no idea what a muslim would consider moderate.

I don't know if you're misunderstanding my question or dodging it intentionally.

Put simply; Do you believe the most devout Muslims are always the most militant? Or are we talking about two different sliding scales here?

Being devote has nothing to do with being militant.

Gotcha. Then the definition you're looking for is 'Moderate Jihadist,' not 'Moderate Muslim.'

:lol:

Whatever. Please, i didn't mean to interrupt your attempt to christian bash. Continue.

I am not bashing anything but hypocrisy

What hypocrisy? God does not command MAN to kill man in order to cleanse the earth or make all follow him. Allah DOES.

By the way? Islam believes that Jesus was a prophet so that means what he taught and what the Bible says is still from God and applies.

Well the Bible DOES command that we kill every player in the NFL - slowly.

Oh and do you hate your mother and father? After all, according to Jesus himself, you better!

Not that any religious book could have the most vile verses picked and chosen by those with an agenda of hatred....

Allah' kum Salam.
I see you looked it up after making just a little ass of yourself and realizing "Oh crap, he's right".
I had to learn the basic tenets of all major religions in college. And I definitely know more about the Bible that you do. That doesn't mean my interpretation is any more or less valid, it just means I have more education on the subject.

As far as defending the (Muslim) folks we go have a beer and shoot pool with? The friends we play tennis with? Perhaps you don't defend your friends if it is inconvenient or politically unpopular. I do.

And besides, I'm just not that fond of ignorance.

I love how overtly conceited you are on the matter. You know nothing about me. I'll share that my child is 1/4 Pakistani, my in laws are Muslim, my brother is married to a Muslim, my niece, the majority of my co-workers...

But I'm guessing you know everything, and spend your nights flipping back and forth between the Bible and Koran.

Wait! And they haven't killed you in your sleep for being an Infidel as you claim???? Phew! Well that's nice of them. I suppose because your family, they'll wait until your 50 or something.

Actually, I divorced the half Pakistani nearly twenty ago, and my brother's wife and their daughter (along with all their freeloading Turkish relatives) are moving back to Turkey in March because they hate America.

In terms of business associates...business is business.

I am not bashing anything but hypocrisy

What hypocrisy? God does not command MAN to kill man in order to cleanse the earth or make all follow him. Allah DOES.

By the way? Islam believes that Jesus was a prophet so that means what he taught and what the Bible says is still from God and applies.

Well the Bible DOES command that we kill every player in the NFL - slowly.

Oh and do you hate your mother and father? After all, according to Jesus himself, you better!

Not that any religious book could have the most vile verses picked and chosen by those with an agenda of hatred....

I let it pass ONCE, you are now on notice, bring up my family again and I will report you.

Actually, I divorced the half Pakistani nearly twenty ago, and my brother's wife and their daughter (along with all their freeloading Turkish relatives) are moving back to Turkey in March because they hate America.

Loved Istanbul but not very fond of Turks in general. However to label ALL Muslims the way SGT has is just pure ignorance.
Surely you know some Muslims that are just plain ol' folks who happen to have a different religion?

Loved Istanbul but not very fond of Turks in general. However to label ALL Muslims the way SGT has is just pure ignorance.
Surely you know some Muslims that are just plain ol' folks who happen to have a different religion?

What is hard for you (and I should add most) to understand is that I appreciate the devotion of Muslims, and do not take their beliefs personally.

I am meeting two associates tomorrow at noon at Pete's Coffee. I'm looking forward to their company, and enjoy our camaraderie.

That being said, I will not bring up how they felt after 9/11, lest I jeopardize our friendship with their honesty.

I would imagine they would like me to convert, as they know that it best pleases Allah that infidels are removed from the planet, and I think they would miss my company.

I do not hold their devotion and beliefs against them.

What is hard for you (and I should add most) to understand is that I appreciate the devotion of Muslims, and do not take their beliefs personally.

I am meeting two associates tomorrow at noon at Pete's Coffee. I'm looking forward to their company, and enjoy our camaraderie.

That being said, I will not bring up how they felt after 9/11, lest I jeopardize our friendship with their honesty.

I would imagine they would like me to convert, as they know that it best pleases Allah that infidels are removed from the planet, and I think they would miss my company.

I do not hold their devotion and beliefs against them.

Nor do I, the ONLY concern I have is with that portion of the Muslim faithful that believe I should convert or die right now, that portion that support via actions or inaction's murder, mayhem and terror to achieve their goals.

I don't know if you're misunderstanding my question or dodging it intentionally.

Put simply; Do you believe the most devout Muslims are always the most militant? Or are we talking about two different sliding scales here?

Gotcha. Then the definition you're looking for is 'Moderate Jihadist,' not 'Moderate Muslim.'

No, moderate muslim. You hear it all the time... but what IS a moderate muslim? Suni man aslo has it as his tag line.

edit: ...maybe you definition of the 1-10 scale would be good for both.

Last edited:

No, moderate muslim. You hear it all the time... but what IS a moderate muslim? Suni man aslo has it as his tag line.

Syrenn, let's venture back to your OP.

On the muslim scale of 1 – 10 with 1 being your live and let live, peaceful, and allowing women equal rights muslim. 10 being your average burka enforcing al-quaeda bombing and killing everything non muslim in site.

So you're saying 1 is live and let live, 10 is bombing and killing everything non-Muslim in site... And you're looking for that "Moderate Muslim" right in the middle?

Yet you say being devout has nothing to do with being militant?

On the muslim scale of 1 – 10 with 1 being your live and let live, peaceful, and allowing women equal rights muslim. 10 being your average burka enforcing al-quaeda bombing and killing everything non muslim in site.

So you're saying 1 is live and let live, 10 is bombing and killing everything non-Muslim in site... And you're looking for that "Moderate Muslim" right in the middle?

Are you saying that you cannot be devote without being militant and there IS no middle ground?

I am saying anyone can be devote to their religion and teachings... without being militant.

I see this term bandied about, but what is it really?

On the muslim scale of 1 – 10 with 1 being your live and let live, peaceful, and allowing women equal rights muslim. 10 being your average burka enforcing al-quaeda bombing and killing everything non muslim in site. Is not everything that comes in the middle of that… moderate?

I would like to know what is “moderate? What do moderates think, say, act.

What is moderate in western terms and what is moderate in muslim terms? I am sure they are VERY different definitions of the where “moderate” falls.

A moderate muslim is just like a moderate christian. During the enlightenment, most Churches were divided. Conservative Jews, Muslims and Christans went their way and moderately religous people went their way. Moderate Jews ate shellfish. Us moderate christians don't think people are going to hell for not accepting Christ. A lot of us were just born into it but deep down we don't buy it all. But we still say we are christians or jews or muslims. We were born into it.

We go to church on Eastern or Yam Kipper, and we get married in a sinagog or mosque or church but we don't go every sunday.

We don't take the bible literally. We think the bible is a bunch of stories made to teach right and wrong. Man made. But we still follow the teachings of christ. So do Mormons, only with a twist.

So we all have different versions of what we think about religion. No two Christians probably agree on everything the bible says. So we really should keep it to ourselves. If it is so clear and obvious, you don't need to be such a snake oil salesman pitching it.

To conservatives I say this. I'm sure as conservative as you are, someone else is more conservative and you will find their beliefs radical and extreme, just like we think yours is.

Are you saying that you cannot be devote without being militant and there IS no middle ground?

I am saying anyone can be devote to their religion and teachings... without being militant.

No, I'm saying what you seem to be agreeing with... I'm getting a bit flustered that you're not getting me here.

You described a very non-militant Muslim as a 1, and a very militant one as 10... Yet you are looking for the 'Middle ground' and calling this a 'Moderate Muslim,' not a 'Moderately militant Muslim.' That suggests, to me, that you inherintly link one's Muslim-ey-ness to their militancy.

Am I articulating this that poorly? Or are you effin with me?

If a very devout Muslim can be very peaceful, and a very casual Muslim can be very militant, than why is a half-way militant Muslim just a "Moderate Muslim?"

No, I'm saying what you seem to be agreeing with... I'm getting a bit flustered that you're not getting me here.

You described a very non-militant Muslim as a 1, and a very militant one as 10... Yet you are looking for the 'Middle ground' and calling this a 'Moderate Muslim,' not a 'Moderately militant Muslim.' That suggests, to me, that you inherintly link one's Muslim-ey-ness to their militancy.

If a very devout Muslim can be very peaceful, and a very casual Muslim can be very militant, than why is a half-way militant Muslim just a "Moderate Muslim?"

Trying to straight face after the effin thing..... It made me chuckle. No, not effin with you.:eusa_angel:

The whole point of it is about asking what all of you think a moderate muslim is. I edited my post a few back, you may not have seen it. You seem to have several ideas of muslim.... please do give us your 1-10 on what they are.

Trying to straight face after the effin thing..... It made me chuckle. No, not effin with you.:eusa_angel:

The whole point of it is about asking what all of you think a moderate muslim is. I edited my post a few back, you may not have seen it. You seem to have several ideas of muslim.... please do give us your 1-10 on what they are.

You effin with me? Hmmm? You effin with ME? :razz:

Yeah, let's hear those ideas because I've got no bloody clue other than moderate people are moderate.

Professing or characterized by political or social beliefs that are not extreme

Moderate - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Who needs an effin line, other than that ^^ link. :D

Forum List

Back