What Is a Mandolin ?

Asked of people with little knowledge of it, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, please state, in 1 sentence, your answer to the title of this OP. Just toss in your best guess.

For those who know the answer, please refrain from posting, so as to not destroy the aim of the thread. Don't worry. We know you're smart.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people, don't know what a mandolin is, or anything about it. I want to get an idea of what causes this.
A follower of Nelson Mandella ?
Do you know what a Mandella is ?

It's a stringed instrument, why?
Please read OP before posting.

If you DID read the OP, including the 3rd paragragh, then please don't be stupid.
LOLOL

And you're senile enough to think the answer to your third paragraph can be found in this forum? :cuckoo:
And you're young and stupid enough to think that the answer to the 3rd paragraph, CAN'T be found in this forum ?
LOLOL

You brain-dead con, even if someone here didn't know what a mandolin is, how the fuck does your senile rotted brain tell you you'll be able to decipher the reason why?
By the way they partially answer the question. We'll be able to see as the post moves along. Now back and play with your little toys, junior.
Oh? What's the reason why?

Asked of people with little knowledge of it, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, please state, in 1 sentence, your answer to the title of this OP. Just toss in your best guess.

For those who know the answer, please refrain from posting, so as to not destroy the aim of the thread. Don't worry. We know you're smart.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people, don't know what a mandolin is, or anything about it. I want to get an idea of what causes this.

A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument in the lute family and is usually plucked with a plectrum. It commonly has four courses of doubled metal strings tuned in unison, although five and six course versions also exist. [Wiki]

It can be used for playing just about any type of music. Here's a guy many consider to be the best in the world right now. Chris Thile playing a bit of Bach. He's best known for his work with the bluegrass band - Nickel Creek (Bottom vid) ... If you ever have a chance to see either Chris or Nickel Creek live, GO!

The Nickel Creek video is 20 minutes long. Where on the time bar does Cris Tile do his break?

Just go away please and shove your Mandolin thread where the sun don't shine ;)

Wow. Who raped YOU last night ? And right after I gave you a thumbs up thanks for your previous post, ungrateful dirtbag.

Please remove your rating. This is what I was told for my trouble.

Thanks for derailing and totally destroying the thread. Did you read the OP? If not go back and read it.

A follower of Nelson Mandella ?
Do you know what a Mandella is ?
Yes -- Nelson.

musical instrument or a boat...at first "musical instrument" seemed like a no-brainer then for some reason "boat" came to mind as well.

It is a musical instrument very popular in Bluegrass music. One of my favorite players is Dave Grisman.

This is a poor selection for showcasing mandolin playing. A better one would be Grisman playing solos, as in traditional bluegrass songs, where his mandolin isn't playing simultaneously with and so immersed into the sounds of the much louder fiddle.

I've heard Grisman's mandolin playing for decades, and although mostly a single note player (a major flaw), he does well in the format he plays
, and is generally an asset to whatever band he's with

musical instrument or a boat...at first "musical instrument" seemed like a no-brainer then for some reason "boat" came to mind as well.
So all these people who are guessing, and aren't 100% sure, didn't get taught about the mandolin in all their years of schooling ?

Maybe there are some schoolteachers here. What do they say about teaching at least the ability to define a mandolin, and know a few things about it ?

So all these people who are guessing, and aren't 100% sure, didn't get taught about the mandolin in all their years of schooling ?

Maybe there are some schoolteachers here. What do they say about teaching at least the ability to define a mandolin, and know a few things about it ?
I'm not much in the way of musical knowledge myself...and have zero musical talent [cannot even carry one note and no ability to dance at all] but I can listen to music like nobodies business...lol...no exaggeration, for a good part of my life I had no idea what was meant by "percussion" instruments, always just assumed they were probably the horn section...really bad I know.

So that's what this little game of yours is about--to trap unsuspecting people and then call them ignorant?

How characteristic of you.

My favorite bluegrass band from back in the day (early 70's) was Bottle Hill. They performed a duet for mandolin called Bluegrass Autumn (they didn't write it) which I wish I could share with you. I've hunted for it online and can't find it anywhere. Bottle Hill was some serious musicians and when those two mandolins got singing to each other it about sent me to the moon.

I just bought a new mandolin, so I'd have 2 of them. Although not as good quality as my other one, I bought this one used in like new condition for only $100. Amazing for a mandolin with a solid, spruce top.

When I was in the store, I was amazed that they had only 3 mandolins on display, and I counted, 35 ukeleles on their wall. I still don't understand how a relatively inferior instrument like a ukelele gets to be so much more popular than the mandolin.

Sorry, forget who it's by...

... a lot of bluegrass music...

... has mandolin in it.

It's kinda the hillbilly ukelele.
Not hardly. It has no relation to the ukelele, which for some strange reason is far more popular.

Actually, the MANdolin is closely related to the VIolin. All the notes, keys, scales are identical.
Not related to a violin
It does not require a bow

So that's what this little game of yours is about--to trap unsuspecting people and then call them ignorant?

How characteristic of you.

My favorite bluegrass band from back in the day (early 70's) was Bottle Hill. They performed a duet for mandolin called Bluegrass Autumn (they didn't write it) which I wish I could share with you. I've hunted for it online and can't find it anywhere. Bottle Hill was some serious musicians and when those two mandolins got singing to each other it about sent me to the moon.
Ha ha. Some far out posts are tumbling in here. I don't know what led you to think I wanted to trap anybody, or call them ignorant. Looks like the one who is insulting the other is you doing that to me.

Oh well. I'll get over it.

So if you have favorites of bluegrass from the 70,s, that's cool and a worthwhile addition to the thread. My favorite 70s bluegrass groups were JDCrowe & the New South, the Country Gentlemen, and the Seldom Scene.

Anybody wanting to hear some good bluegrass, check those out. Plenty of you tubes.

Sorry, forget who it's by...

... a lot of bluegrass music...

... has mandolin in it.

It's kinda the hillbilly ukelele.
Not hardly. It has no relation to the ukelele, which for some strange reason is far more popular.

Actually, the MANdolin is closely related to the VIolin. All the notes, keys, scales are identical.
Not related to a violin
It does not require a bow
FALSE! Although not member of the bowed instrument family, the mandolin and violin are closely related by having the same TUNING (ie. GDAE).

Thereby they have all the same scales and notes. From that, all the fingering of both instruments is exactly the same. If you know a tune on one, you know it on the other, for the left hand, that is. (,,if you're righthanded)

Essentially, a mandolin IS a violin, that you play like a guitar.

I just bought a new mandolin, so I'd have 2 of them. Although not as good quality as my other one, I bought this one used in like new condition for only $100. Amazing for a mandolin with a solid, spruce top.

When I was in the store, I was amazed that they had only 3 mandolins on display, and I counted, 35 ukeleles on their wall. I still don't understand how a relatively inferior instrument like a ukelele gets to be so much more popular than the mandolin.
Probably easier to play, don't you think?

Probably easier to play, don't you think?
Yes, MUCH easier, as are all the flat-bridge plectrum instruments compared to the arched-bridge bow instruments. This is exactly why I teach my violin students, scales on the mandolin first, to get them acquainted with the positions (frets on the mandolin).

Then, able to play a few easy tunes on the mandolin, they already have these learned for the violin, and can then concentrate all their energy on the bowing, which is the hard part.

Oh wow. I think I just realized you were talking about comparing the mandolin to the ukelele. That, I don't know. I never played a ukelele.

Last edited:

I'm not much in the way of musical knowledge myself...and have zero musical talent [cannot even carry one note and no ability to dance at all] but I can listen to music like nobodies business...lol...no exaggeration, for a good part of my life I had no idea what was meant by "percussion" instruments, always just assumed they were probably the horn section...really bad I know.
It might be more the fault of the schools, not you.

Forum List

Back