What Is a Mandolin ?

protectionist

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2013
Asked of people with little knowledge of it, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, please state, in 1 sentence, your answer to the title of this OP. Just toss in your best guess.

For those who know the answer, please refrain from posting, so as to not destroy the aim of the thread. Don't worry. We know you're smart.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people, don't know what a mandolin is, or anything about it. I want to get an idea of what causes this.

upload_2020-2-29_8-31-28.jpeg

I know of two different devices that are known by that name.

One is a stringed musical instrument.

The other is a kitchen device, used to perform certain kinds of slicing operations. I think this device is so-named because someone thought it resembled the musical instrument.

And I see that while I was composing this post, Wrongwinger posted a picture of an example of the latter device, albeit one of the less sophisticated forms.

The other is a kitchen device, used to perform certain kinds of slicing operations. I think this device is so-named because someone thought it resembled the musical instrument.

And I see that while I was composing this post, Wrongwinger posted a picture of an example of the latter device, albeit one of the less sophisticated forms.
I see no resemblance whatsoever.

It's a person from some obscure area in China.

That the picture is a mandoline, and it's funny because you were going for the musical Instrument, a member of the lute family.

The name for the kitchen utensil is derived from the wrist-motion of the user of a mandoline. If the user is adept, the motion resembles that of someone playing the musical instrument, not because the utensil resembles the instrument.

That the picture is a mandoline, and it's funny because you were going for the musical Instrument, a member of the lute family.

The name for the kitchen utensil is derived from the wrist-motion of the user of a mandoline. If the user is adept, the motion resembles that of someone playing the musical instrument, not because the utensil resembles the instrument.
I never heard of a mandoline. Picture doesn't look familiar either.

Can we get back on topic now ? (ie. Mandolin, not mandoline)

Asked of people with little knowledge of it, WITHOUT LOOKING IT UP, please state, in 1 sentence, your answer to the title of this OP. Just toss in your best guess.

For those who know the answer, please refrain from posting, so as to not destroy the aim of the thread. Don't worry. We know you're smart.

I never cease to be amazed at how many people, don't know what a mandolin is, or anything about it. I want to get an idea of what causes this.

A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument in the lute family and is usually plucked with a plectrum. It commonly has four courses of doubled metal strings tuned in unison, although five and six course versions also exist. [Wiki]

It can be used for playing just about any type of music. Here's a guy many consider to be the best in the world right now. Chris Thile playing a bit of Bach. He's best known for his work with the bluegrass band - Nickel Creek (Bottom vid) ... If you ever have a chance to see either Chris or Nickel Creek live, GO!

A misogynist named the darn thing. Why not it a girldolin?

A mandolin is a stringed musical instrument in the lute family and is usually plucked with a plectrum. It commonly has four courses of doubled metal strings tuned in unison, although five and six course versions also exist. [Wiki]

It can be used for playing just about any type of music. Here's a guy many consider to be the best in the
Could USMB posters really no know this ? :confused:
We all know what a mandolin is, and you told us not to reply.

Mandolin is my favorite instrument.

world right now. Chris Thile playing a bit of Bach. He's best known for his work with the bluegrass band - Nickel Creek (Bottom vid) ... If you ever have a chance to see either Chris or Nickel Creek live, GO!

Thanks for derailing and totally destroying the thread. Did you read the OP? If not go back and read it.

PS - there have been many mandolin players as good as Chris Thile, before he was even born. John Duffy, Doyle Lawson, Jesse McReynolds, Bobby Osborne, Buck White, Bill Monroe, Hershel Sizemore, Sam Bush, Ricky Scaggs, Frank Wakefield, Ronny Reno, and ME.

Last edited:

It's a stringed instrument, why?

It can be used for playing just about any type of music. Here's a guy many consider to be the best in the
Could USMB posters really no know this ? :confused:
We all know what a mandolin is, and you told us not to reply.

Mandolin is my favorite instrument.

world right now. Chris Thile playing a bit of Bach. He's best known for his work with the bluegrass band - Nickel Creek (Bottom vid) ... If you ever have a chance to see either Chris or Nickel Creek live, GO!

Thanks for derailing and totally destroying the thread. Did you read the OP? If not go back and read it.

PS - there have been many mandolin players as good as Chris Thile, before he was even born. John Duffy, Doyle Lawson, Jesse McReynolds, Bobby Osborne, Buck White, Bill Monroe, Hershel Sizemore, Sam Bush, Ricky Scaggs, Frank Wakefield, Ronny Reno,

I was trying to contribute asshole. Sorry you didn't appreciate my contribution.

Thile is the best CURRENT mandolin player. He just turned 39 - NOT a kid.

Now Go Fuck Yourself :poke:

Forum List

Back