What if we drained the Mediterranean?

K9Buck

Platinum Member
Dec 25, 2009
Once upon a time some engineer hatched a plan to drain the Mediterranean Sea. He was dead fucking serious too. This video is just under 7 minutes in length. I found it fascinating. What would have likely happened had his plan come to fruition?

Once upon a time some engineer hatched a plan to drain the Mediterranean Sea. He was dead fucking serious too. This video is just under 7 minutes in length. I found it fascinating. What would have likely happened had his plan come to fruition?

Been there, done that.

Mediterranean Sea Was Once a Mile-High Salt Field

About 6 million years ago, the Strait of Gibraltar linking the Mediterranean with the Atlantic Ocean was closed and instead, two channels — one in Northern Morocco and another in Southern Spain — fed the sea with salty water and let it flow out, said study co-author Rachel Flecker, a geologist at the University of Bristol in England.

But during the Messinian Salinity Crisis, as this particular event is known, Eurasia was colliding with Africa, squishing the outlet flow for the Mediterranean Sea. But tectonic shifts left the basin floor below the outlet channel between the two water bodies intact. Dense salty water from the Atlantic rushed in, but couldn't leave the sea. Water evaporated; salt piled high; and sea life collapsed.

"It wasn't a nice place," Flecker said.

In a series of pulses over about 600,000 years, the sea dried out, and a 1-mile-high (1.5 kilometer) salt wall grew across the Mediterranean seafloor, a "bit like the Dead Sea, a huge brine field," Flecker told LiveScience. (In places, it might have been even higher.)

Then, in a geologic flash of time just 200 years' long, waters from the Atlantic cut through the Strait of Gibraltar and flooded the Mediterranean, refilling the sea. [50 Amazing Facts About the Earth]

Humans believe we can control such things, but we can't. We are too arrogant. With man made global warming we think we're in control too, or the right wingers do.

• Banned

Humans believe we can control such things, but we can't. We are too arrogant. With man made global warming we think we're in control too, or the right wingers do.

Did you watch the video? The engineer was told there wasn't enough concrete in the entire world for his project.

As well, it would have been an ecological catastrophe of biblical proportions.

Did you watch the video? The engineer was told there wasn't enough concrete in the entire world for his project.

As well, it would have been an ecological catastrophe of biblical proportions.

Yes, I watched the video, hence why I commented on part of the video.

This video is about CONTROLLING the world. The consequences of controlling the world are always out of our control. It's like with Malaria, we create drugs to deal with malaria, the malaria develops to get around the drugs.

Well at least you are partly right...we can't control such things...and we aren't changing the global climate either...those who believe we are have been duped...you can't show me a single piece of evidence measured by an instrument at ambient temperature that establishes a coherent relationship between the absorption of IR by a gas and warming in the atmosphere.

Forum List

Back